- Sep 10, 2014
I was ordering two new T's from petcenterusa (great service ) , a 1-1.5" A. geroldi and a .5" B. albopilosum. I have a decent sized vile for the tiny sling, but since the A. geroldi is my first arboreal spider, I decided to order a cheap juvie setup from jamiestarantulas.com. I'll include a link to the specific one I ordered. Now, I appreciate that the kit was only $30 (shipping included) with everything included to set it up, it wasn't a bad deal, but the build quality was awful. I had to set it up upside down because the way it opens of involves removing the top ~70% of the enclosure, but even with it upside down I would tear up web every time for misting or feeding.. After a couple days of dealing with that I made a trip to meijer and bought a similar sized tupperware container with a snap lid, drilled holes in two sides allowing for more ventilation than the one MESH vent hole than the jamie's tarantulas one, rehoused the spider ASAP, and it's much better. Oh and I forgot to mention, removing the top part (technically bottom) was just awful. It required so much force to take it off and put it back on and it would make cracking noises like it was about to break or if it was being forced on somthing it wasn't supposed to fit. I'm sure this terrified the freshly shipped/rehoused spider. On the bright side I was able to remove the T, switch over the substrate, moss, corkbark, and everything else included to my DIY enclosure, and get the spider rehoused in under 20 minutes. In conclusion, it's pretty sad when a $4 tupperware/rubbermaid is more functional and practical than an enclosure I wasted $30 on. ($15 enclosure, $15 shipping).