J cricket with mites

Conor10

Arachnoknight
Well, I didn’t see this coming my whole collection starting to have a mite problem. My J cricket got some mites and I just noticed that as I got rid of the mites on my pedeling off. This guy is super aggressive so the brushing method is out of question, anybody got any ideas on how to get rid of them?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Long story short, if grain mites, keep enclosures spotless. No food or poop left behind. Let things dry out.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
Ok thank you I heard that you could freeze these guys and they survive, I thought the mites would die in the cold. Also (i’m just wondering) won’t the mites keep laying eggs and increasing in numbers?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Ok thank you I heard that you could freeze these guys and they survive, I thought the mites would die in the cold. Also (i’m just wondering) won’t the mites keep laying eggs and increasing in numbers?
You can take the cricket out and quarantine it, then freeze the enclosure. That’s one way to kill them off. Most effective in long run is to do what I mentioned above. I had an outbreak from some contaminated dubias and freezing wasn’t an option. So did what I mentioned and they just disappeared eventually.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
Ok I separated the cricket from the others and the mite numbers are going down!😁

Conor10

Arachnoknight
Yesterday his head was covered with them and today only a few mites are on his head, I’m so happy this is working😃