Ivory Pedeling? Help with identification please 😀

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Oh boy... it just keeps getting better and better. Two of my ivories passed away recently, Rest In Peace little dudes, but they were mating like crazy before. I’m thinking their deaths were related to the humidity & warmth issues I was having in the living room so I moved them to my room in a new container. I had a ton of substrate in their other tank and with the less amount of millipedes I downsized them to a container where I could keep up the humidity. Now their substrate has been divided. Some in their tank, some in other tanks. I didn’t want to get rid of it because these millipedes have an extremely sentimental value to me and I was hoping there would still be some chance of finding offspring. Today I just looked in my isopods quarantine container which has a lot of their substrate in it (because their substrate has springtails and is bioactive) and I found this...

C642C67A-2FE9-4565-B495-5BC7680C352F.jpeg
79BABED0-37D4-4866-8B93-A086ADC7BA3D.jpeg

It’s in a two ounce cup for size reference. Can anyone tell me if this is a Julid millipede sneaking its way into my tank or could it possibly be an ivory pedeling from an unhatched egg? Any opinions would be helpful.

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
It's somewhat clear, so it would be safe to assume that's a baby ivory. Most Julids are that size when they are adults, therefore they would have their color rather than this translucent baby millipede.

Hope that helps,
Dagan H.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
It's somewhat clear, so it would be safe to assume that's a baby ivory. Most Julids are that size when they are adults, therefore they would have their color rather than this translucent baby millipede.

Hope that helps,
Dagan H.
Thanks for the input, that’s a really good observation! I got these millipedes after my mom came out of the hospital from heart surgery and a close call on her life multiple times, she loves them a lot now but a few of them had some weird health conditions so I really hope they are reproducing. I’d like to keep this line going as long as I’m capable, since they are the reason I started my millipede, reptile, and other insect collections.

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Thanks for the input, that’s a really good observation! I got these millipedes after my mom came out of the hospital from heart surgery and a close call on her life multiple times, she loves them a lot now but a few of them had some weird health conditions so I really hope they are reproducing. I’d like to keep this line going as long as I’m capable, since they are the reason I started my millipede, reptile, and other insect collections.
Oh wow, I'm glad that she's out of the hospital and doing better. That's definitely a baby millipede of some sort; so your millipede bloodline will live on :) Millipedes were my first invertebrates as well.

Dagan H.

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire

Hope that helps,
Dagan H.
Actually a lot of the blind subterranean julids are colourless or nearly colourless throughout their lifespans. At least, there are several like that in the UK, and I assume it would be similar elsewhere. However, I do think that looks like a baby large millipede to me. Usually the small subterranean millipedes are long and thin, whereas that guy looks kind of stubby and fat (but in a very cute way ;)).

SeaNettle

Arachnopeon
I would say it's definitely a baby Ivory, looks just like the ones I just noticed in my tanks.