Ivory Millipedes not breeding!? (Help!)

artchic528

Arachnopeon
I set up an Ivory millipede enclosure on 12/30/20 with 4 millipedes (2 males and 2 females). I’ve lost one pair already and have yet to see any ‘pedelings. Am I doing something wrong to prevent any breeding? I used a package of Exo Terra Tropical Forest Floor substrate from the pet store that included coconut fiber soil and hardwood leaves, added some oak leaves and hardwood sticks I harvested from my yard (froze it all a good few days before adding it) and tap water to make it all moist (but not sopping wet). I even tossed in some crushed eggshells and carrot slices. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Even without seeing the set up, there are multiple factors that could be resulting in a lack of breeding. Firstly, are you sure all of you pedes are fully mature? Normally when you buy ivories from dealers you're going to be getting sub adults (at least from personal experience). Secondly, I don't think this is the issue, but are you sterilizing your tap water either by letting it sit for at least 24 hours or by adding a dechlorinator? Ivories are pretty hardy, but this is nevertheless something you need to do for all inverts to remove chlorine. Thirdly, temperature and humidity is an important factor for this species. Though they will probably survive below 72F, this temperature or above is best for stimulating breeding. This species also like things pretty damp, so am curious at to your ventilation and misting. I will also be curious to see your enclosure size if\when you post the setup, as this can also be a factor.
Finally, I want to say, and take this from someone who has worked with A LOT of animals: sometimes breeding just doesn't happen. You could be doing everything right, and there can still be something going on that you don't know about. But that said, the key to breeding ANY animal but especially millipedes is knowing your information, going about things in a scientific process, and finally, just being patient. You got this.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
First off, millipedes breed slowly. Their eggs are disguised as dirt/frass and are not at all noticeable. It can take months until you see any offspring. Simply, all you can do to ensure that they breed is provide adequate humidity, food, substrate and a suitably sized enclosure.

That you lost two millipedes is a little concerning. Like @goliathusdavid said, contaminants in the water could be an issue. I would recommend buying some dechlorinator and adding it to the water before misting.

How often do you mist their habitat? What temperature are they kept at? How large is the habitat.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have proper substrate, food source and humidity requirements.

Just make sure that the water you mist is dechlorinated, that they are kept at the proper temperature, and that the habitat is large enough.

If you provide all of this for your ivories, you should see offspring soon.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
You said it has coconut fiber which is bad. The.sticks should be rotten first and the eggs take a long time to hatch. I’ve had three bumblebees since November and still no babies. Just chill and wait a couple months

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Coco fiber is not always bad for millipedes as long as it is combined with nutritious elements such as dried leaves and decaying wood. It's devoid of nutrition, but as long as you have high nutrition elements, it can still safely be used in substrate. As for the setup, you definitely have all the right elements. Personally I would have gone a little bigger, but I think that is still large enough for two ivories so you would see some breeding. It's just a waiting game.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Are theatre they big or small. Sometimes, the adults breed a couple times and then say I’m done. If you are by a shop that has some, I would buy some more like a pair but it would also benefit to have more females than males