ivory millipede burying itself immediately after putting him in his container

dumpling

Arachnopeon
i'm a first-time millipede parent and i only just got him yesterday. i believe he is a boy and he is an ivory millipede, unsure of his age though.
right after i placed him in his home after taking him out of the box he was shipped in, he immediately buried himself after wandering around a little bit, and i haven't seen him since. his container is a plastic bin with enough ventilation, moisture, right substrate, etc. so i don't believe there's any issues there. though i'm aware millipedes spend most of their time underground, i cant help but feel a bit worried that he might be stressed from shipment or something. i think the only could be issue that i live in connecticut where it's quite cold these days, however i make sure that he has a heating mat and my room stays at about 65-75F especially at night time so he doesn't get too cold.
considering these factors, this is normal behavior for a millipede that you just took home, right? this question seems to be very specific which is why i'm posting this, because i cant find any answers elsewhere. even if i'm most likely being overly paranoid i still feel like i need answers, lol.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
i'm a first-time millipede parent and i only just got him yesterday. i believe he is a boy and he is an ivory millipede, unsure of his age though.
right after i placed him in his home after taking him out of the box he was shipped in, he immediately buried himself after wandering around a little bit, and i haven't seen him since. his container is a plastic bin with enough ventilation, moisture, right substrate, etc. so i don't believe there's any issues there. though i'm aware millipedes spend most of their time underground, i cant help but feel a bit worried that he might be stressed from shipment or something. i think the only could be issue that i live in connecticut where it's quite cold these days, however i make sure that he has a heating mat and my room stays at about 65-75F especially at night time so he doesn't get too cold.
considering these factors, this is normal behavior for a millipede that you just took home, right? this question seems to be very specific which is why i'm posting this, because i cant find any answers elsewhere. even if i'm most likely being overly paranoid i still feel like i need answers, lol.
Some say after 6 months it can still surface.
I have some Rainbows I've only seen 2 of the 5.
And 3 of my African Blacks I've not seen in over a month.
That's the way Millipedes are.
Ivory's are pretty surface active, so once it's settled, may take a while, should be out and about.
NEVER, NEVER dig up a buried Millipede, if it's molting you'll kill it, if it's about to lay eggs, it won't.
At the end of the day Millipedes live in the substrate, eat the substrate, and lay eggs in the substrate, that's their home.
Like anything in captivity, the less you mess/ fiddle with it, the more you will see it.

dumpling

Arachnopeon
Some say after 6 months it can still surface.
I have some Rainbows I've only seen 2 of the 5.
And 3 of my African Blacks I've not seen in over a month.
That's the way Millipedes are.
Ivory's are pretty surface active, so once it's settled, may take a while, should be out and about.
NEVER, NEVER dig up a buried Millipede, if it's molting you'll kill it, if it's about to lay eggs, it won't.
At the end of the day Millipedes live in the substrate, eat the substrate, and lay eggs in the substrate, that's their home.
Like anything in captivity, the less you mess/ fiddle with it, the more you will see it.
thank you for the advice! i figured it was fine, but i felt the need to make sure in the end, lol.
ill make sure to leave him be and only check on him when i need to re-mist.
thanks again! :)

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
thank you for the advice! i figured it was fine, but i felt the need to make sure in the end, lol.
ill make sure to leave him be and only check on him when i need to re-mist.
thanks again! :)
My millipedes can be buried for a week or 2 at a time, and you shouldn't be worried. He could be molting, or he's just resting :)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Very normal millipede behavior; even the most surface active round millipedes can still be usually qualified as fossorial, ha ha. Some enthusiasts have had specimens not resurface for years (though this is rare and only with certain species).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I find Ivories to be amongst the most surface active of millipedes. But after travelling it would not be unusual for them to just chill for a while. It's always good to have more than one as they are community creatures. Sexing is super simple. If you post a photo someone here can show you the difference. Good luck with your new pets!

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Very normal millipede behavior; even the most surface active round millipedes can still be usually qualified as fossorial, ha ha. Some enthusiasts have had specimens not resurface for years (though this is rare and only with certain species).

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Even my Smokey Oaks, which are "supposed" to be buried most of the time, are out and about at night, snacking on the carrots or exploring the moss pile.