I've successfully converted my mother

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Yesterday, my mom ordered her first spider. I consider this a huge success because she was absolutely terrified of spiders or really anything with more than four legs when I first got involved in this bank-draining hobby of ours.
She slowly became more and more interested as my collection grew. Im taking a break from purchasing until my P. cambridgei matures, but shes decided to get a Brachypelma albiceps for herself.
The one she's ordered is slightly smaller than 1.5". She found a picture of one and said "Josh! Josh! I think I want this spider!" And at first i thought she was just being silly. Nope. Two/three days ago she said "God this thing is so hard to find" and I was like "oh snap, shes serious!" And she wasnt wrong. Took a couple hours before i said "Hey. Let me look in the classifieds on the boards and see if i can get you the hookup."
So i did. Aaaand i found it. Asked everything she wanted to ask (she refused to take my answers, like i havent read the equivalent of several bibles in research), and now its shipping to our house monday.
This morning, she was talking about this awesome website selling all the spiders she likes for super low prices. See where this is going? Its in Poland. "Mom. No. Super expensive paperwork needed for that." "I could plead ignorance!" "Ok, that MIGHT keep you out of jail, but youre still gonna lose the spiders and get a massive fine" :rolleyes:. Ive taught her well, but she has that obsessive attitude that a lot of newbies get (you know the one).
In short, my mom has overcome her fears to the point she considered breaking the law to get her spiders.

PLEASE READ THIS IF NOTHING ELSE:
There always seem to be gaps i cant find answers to in my research on species. Is this one of the more moisture-loving brachys or is it more of the typical arid type?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, that's fantastic! My mom still keeps offering to help me squish my inverts - and she's only at least halfway kidding. Fortunately, my own kids are growing up right - they are at least tolerant/accepting of my hobby, even if they aren't always 100% enthusiastic about it - and they do get excited to see the latest acquisitions, even if they lose interest shortly after.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
That's a great story. My mom won't even sleep in my house on the same night if she sees a tarantula that day. She will take a peek right before she leaves to go home. She always asks what's wrong with me.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Well done! It's always fun to get another family member on board. Excellent choice for your mothers first spider, hardy, beautiful and super easy to care for.
PLEASE READ THIS IF NOTHING ELSE:
There always seem to be gaps i cant find answers to in my research on species. Is this one of the more moisture-loving brachys or is it more of the typical arid type?
You can keep B.albiceps the exact same way you would a B.hamorii. Predominantly dry sub with a water dish, overflow it every now and then for some extra moisture. Super simple.

They are said to be slow growers but mine sprouted from a 3/4"sling to 2"-3" juvenile in about a year and a half. Overall fantastic species that I could highly recommend to any keeper, congrats and enjoy!

Attachments

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Well done! It's always fun to get another family member on board. Excellent choice for your mothers first spider, hardy, beautiful and super easy to care for.

You can keep B.albiceps the exact same way you would a B.hamorii. Predominantly dry sub with a water dish, overflow it every now and then for some extra moisture. Super simple.

They are said to be slow growers but mine sprouted from a 3/4"sling to 2"-3" juvenile in about a year and a half. Overall fantastic species that I could highly recommend to any keeper, congrats and enjoy!
Agreed! Should be easier to convince her to convert the storage room in our carport into a spider haven, now.
And thanks for the information!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
My mother is indifferent towards my tarantulas, then again she has not seen them in person for about 4 years.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I plan to eventually have my brothers, dad, and mom in on the hobby too. So far they've gone from hating spiders to being indifferent toward them.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
My mum's main issue used to be her idea that no one would want anything to do with me if they knew I kept inverts. She hitherto became almost paranoid about anyone finding out about my hobby. Once I showed her that my friends embrace it, she changed her mind and has become much more tolerant.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
I one day hope to convert my mother- she loved spiders but seems to have little to no interest in my spiders to the point she forgets how many I have until someone asks when we are out and about

basin79

ArachnoGod
Tut. Came here expecting to read you'd converted your mum into a beer fridge or something. I was looking for tips.

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
It surprisingly didn't take that much to convince my mom into getting a spider - lol I wasn't even trying to convince her. She went from "you have too many spiders!" To "I've been thinking about getting a tarantula, I'd keep it in the game room. It'd be really cool! Your sister and I would take care of it of course..." to "you have so many! I just want one! Give me one of the nice ones - it would make a really cool classroom pet! - no I wouldn't let those kids near her! She's just for display"
So I gave her the AF B albo I had (her name's cookie), and she's doing really well with her first T :D