ive searched and searched

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
ok well ive been looking for few hours now. in bout a month i will be receiving a h. longipes from pual becker and this is my first halpo can someone shed some light on a correct substrate i know there pet holes, ow, and fast and defesive i just need a tried and true substrate so i can give it the best home i possibly can- anthony

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any substrate you'd use with any other tarantula would be fine for this one as well.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes. Any substrate you'd use with any other tarantula would be fine for this one as well.

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We use peat moss and we really like it. Peat keeps its shape which is really handy for allowing them to burrow, and peat holds moisture really well, which is another plus for Haplopelma. We also mix some vermiculite in with the peat which helps retain more moisture.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
We use peat moss and we really like it. Peat keeps its shape which is really handy for allowing them to burrow, and peat holds moisture really well, which is another plus for Haplopelma. We also mix some vermiculite in with the peat which helps retain more moisture.
1 more Q is there any thing wrong with using the peat moss you have 2 put in water kinda expands like the eco earth?

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That shouldn't be a problem, as peat doesn't expand to much in water. we usually just put the peat in the cage and and pore water into it and mix it, but not with a ton of water. As we understand it, you can get away with having it be a little bit swampy and wet with the Haplos, but not with most other tarantulas.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
That shouldn't be a problem, as peat doesn't expand to much in water. we usually just put the peat in the cage and and pore water into it and mix it, but not with a ton of water. As we understand it, you can get away with having it be a little bit swampy and wet with the Haplos, but not with most other tarantulas.
right right just gonna make sure i watch out for mold >wet + heat = mold<