I've made a microclimate because it's too cold where I live

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
Hey guys I've made a microclimate for my GBB sling and my few common house spiders and false widows lol they help make use of crickets. I'll upload pics tomorrow, basically a 30 Inch by 32 inch bar fridge. Ripped out the drainage seal to create a bigger hole for wiring, insulated even further with polystyrene. The fridge fan works to circulate air, I have a Habistat high power adhesive heat mat (17" x 11") 40w stuck to the interior back of the fridge. (The heat mat will NOT be in direct contact with Tarantula container) that is important, you will burn your Tarantula by making a hot spot. It will be safe at the back or on the interior top of the fridge (so they can burrow to avoid heat). Do not use heat mat at the bottom of the fridge because again they burrow to cool down and you'll be creating hot spots NOT GOOD. Most importantly...you definitely NEED and I cannot stress this enough.. you need a thermostat. You plug the heat mat into the thermostat and wola you can set a safe temperature for your Tarantula to stay at and the thermostat will keep to it. You need 2 thermometers also, so you can have them in different places in the fridge to ensure your thermostat is correctly working. Mine is ready...Thermostat is arriving with thermometers and then I'll run for 48 hours with nothing in there to ensure its safe and running correctly before putting my tarantula in. Like I said tomorrow I'll post a couple pics them more when finished. This is cheaper than keeping an entire room at a certain heat... the fridge was free from an appliance repair company..just ask if they have any awaiting disposal you could use. DO NOT cut compressor out yourself it's illegal and bad for polar bears. Also you just don't need to lol hope this helped someone

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
Also ..if your in your room and your comfortable with the temperature then your Tarantula should be fine. If your like me and freezing your damn nuts off then you need to protect your Tarantula. Also with a couple shelves in your fridge you can store a good few T's.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I used to use a jewelry display case as a little "hot box" for my Ts... it was about 4' tall and 3' wide, all glass, with compartments at the top and bottom where a space heater fit :) Unfortunately, it got broken when I moved... so I just gave them an entire spare room lol

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The first time I've heard of a fridge keeping something warm.
We used to use big chest coolers to finish cooking (and keep hot) barbecued chicken on the way to outdoor lake parties where you couldn't cook out on the lake. Cook it till it's about 3/4 done and toss them in a well insulated cooler. Close the lid and let it finish cooking on the way. Hot food in one and cold beer in the other. :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Awesome job. I very much plan on doing something like this when my females start dropping sacs. I'd like to grow the slings quickly to move them quicker (and for higher margin!), so that means high temps.

I'm going to bookmark this page, this is one of the better boxes I've seen.

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
Nice looking setup. It'll reduce you having to heat a big room if you only have a few Ts.
Thanks I only have 1 at the moment but planning on more haha it's just too cold for them here. This should help

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
Awesome job. I very much plan on doing something like this when my females start dropping sacs. I'd like to grow the slings quickly to move them quicker (and for higher margin!), so that means high temps.

I'm going to bookmark this page, this is one of the better boxes I've seen.
Thank you, I am quite proud of myself haha the fridge was completely free...like I said just go to a fridge repair company or just call a few and ask if they have any that are not fixable as they often do! The only price I paid was for the Habistat high power heat mat and the thermostat and thermometers all worked out at £45-50 roughly but cheap for what it is!

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
I need some expertise. I'm still new in the hobby, with this microclimate I have NOT been using a fan or ventilation system... I open the doors once every couple of days to feed and check up but I don't use ventilation. Is this bad?? I need someone who actually knows

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I need some expertise. I'm still new in the hobby, with this microclimate I have NOT been using a fan or ventilation system... I open the doors once every couple of days to feed and check up but I don't use ventilation. Is this bad?? I need someone who actually knows
The GBB likes it fairly dry once they are bigger than 1 inch. I am not sure about the other occupants. As long as you don't have high humidity lingering in there (condensation, moist substrate, etc.) you should be fine in my opinion.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Unless the enclosure is sealed it's not airtight. Most enclosures will allow some air movement even without extra air holes. Why would you not add vent holes into your enclosure?

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
The GBB likes it fairly dry once they are bigger than 1 inch. I am not sure about the other occupants. As long as you don't have high humidity lingering in there (condensation, moist substrate, etc.) you should be fine in my opinion.
Thank you I was worried

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
Unless the enclosure is sealed it's not airtight. Most enclosures will allow some air movement even without extra air holes. Why would you not add vent holes into your enclosure?
It's a fridge micro climate

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It's a fridge micro climate
Well if it is in fact a refrigerator then it is a seal box. While Ts don't use much air in comparison to mammals they do need it to live. Depending on the size of the refrigerator and how much air it can hold would dictate how long you can leave the door shut without the Ts inside dying. Other than heat what else are you managing for you're micro climate?

DeathMarch6

Arachnopeon
Well if it is in fact a refrigerator then it is a seal box. While Ts don't use much air in comparison to mammals they do need it to live. Depending on the size of the refrigerator and how much air it can hold would dictate how long you can leave the door shut without the Ts inside dying. Other than heat what else are you managing for you're micro climate?
Only managing heat at the moment I keep substrate dry for my GBB but slightly moist for my White Knee, Red Rump and my Salmon Pink

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well a refrigerator would be very efficient for managing heat. Since Ts have a very low air use they should do ok in there too. Make sure you monitor the heat that is put off in there (i'm sure you have) so that it isn't too much because with no where to vent it'll build up a lot more than open air heating.

cold blood

Staff member
You definitely want some air movement within along with the ventilation in the enclosures. Air movement will increase the efficiency of the heat you are applying, you want that moving about, not just slowly dissipating away....that can create hot spots...a fan will significantly reduce this, if not eliminate it.