I've found that I'm starting to like scorpions more than tarantulas.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know, it just seems like scorpions are easier to manage. Oh, I still like tarantulas, but they just make me a little nervous. There've been too many times when I opened up the tank and the tarantula darted out and almost escaped. Nope, don't have to worry about that stuff when I'm dealing with scorpions.

Just got a pair of H. arizonensis, and they're pretty neat. I've read caresheets and all that, but I still have two questions about them.

1) The smaller scorpion is incredibly active. It's always doing something. But it seems to be having a hard time digging in the sand. Any ideas on how to make the substrate easier for them to work with?

2) While the smaller one is very active, the bigger one hasn't really done much of anything. Does this species just become less active the bigger it gets?

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I`ve heard that fat plump females tend to slow down abit. especially after a good comsumtion.

Mat

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If the sand is too hard, you may want to assist the scorpion with a prime burrow location and punch a couple holes for it in the sand. The older they become, the more you'll notice a decrease in daytime activity, though they'll usually stay more active at night than most P. imperator, even when at their worst.

adios,
edw.

;)

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only wish there was as much action and posts in the scorpion forum like there is in the T forum.:(

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good choice Whaomi with the H.arizonensis you will love them.:D

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup. h. arizonensis are really nice ones, be sure to not make a vibration and watch them eat crickets, they are stinging very often!

Frank

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well hey. Since I've been starting up a Scorpion collection, you might see me posting alot more in here. As far as large Scorpions not being active, I find that my Emperor Scorpion Destroyer is more active at night. But Destroyer is a Wild caught beauty who's very jumpy and active when I disturb her enclosure.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
In general Hadrurus are more active than most commonly kept N American scorps but as with Tarantulas there is quite a bit of variation in the temperment and activity levels of any particular scorp. I have had both very active and very mellow H.arizonensis before.

John
];')

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
In general Hadrurus are more active than most commonly kept N American scorps but as with Tarantulas there is quite a bit of variation in the temperment and activity levels of any particular scorp. I have had both very active and very mellow H.arizonensis before.

John
];')
Almost like different personalities in people eh?