I've entered the dark zone...

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just bought my first centipede, a Scolopendra gigantea pling, of about 2", the guy I bought it from also had a couple of adult ones, man that are impressive beasts! The only unfortunate thing is that it is missing its rear 'legs' (don't know what those are called), but my understanding is that they will grow back in a few molts (which shouln't take too long).
I bought a small one so I can get used to the manners of this beast while it is still small enough to not bite my hands off...
greetz,
Joost

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, S. heros or S. mutilans.
Either way, it will certainly regenerate the terminal legs in a molt or two. Congrats on the new pede. :)

Atrax

skolopender

Arachnopeon
Hi Joost !

i agree with Atrax but think that your centipede is rather a mutilans....

By the way - nice Avatar and very typical for Holland.... ;) :D

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not sure about this 1 my mate brought 5 pedelings of the same bloke that i got my 2 sub adults of that look identical to this 1 the only thing i noticed is that they have a darkened front of the head and my mutilans never had that so it could be the same species that i have and they are from venezula

fatbloke

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my entry in the dark zone was a short one...

Well, after I got home with the pedeling, I misted it, and it immedeately started drinking a lot. Later that night it started molting but it never got past molting its head, it got stuck:( . It was humid enough in the cup, so that couldn't have been the cause. What a bummer... The photo shows a little bit of the molted skin hanging on the backside of the pede, and the head already larger.

Anyways, I was quite sure it was S. gigantea, since the mother was a gigantea (the guy I bought it from had adults on sale too), but then again, I don't know him very well, so it could have been another species.

@Skolopender: That is not a joint or anything, just rolling tobacco, which is quite popular here, never really seen it in another country, and certainly not in the US, the only rolling tobacco there is the same stuff they have in cigarettes, different altogether.
greetz,
Joost

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey Joost, sorry to hear about that,.... :(
did you bought it from Vinnman at the spiderfair in Harmelen?

It doesn't look like a gigantea but it is only a pling from about 2" , i've seen the same baby's beeing sold and seen the mother, a true Peruvian giant, no doubt,...
Has anybody else seen captive bred scolopendra giganteas plings?
i guess they will change color when they are full grown

greetz and again true bummer Joost