It's time to eliminate the entire human race

Tortuga

Arachnoknight
If I could only wear the infinity gauntlet...oh baby! I'd get snap happy culling the herd man.

I think it was late 80's? Went on a Boyscout camping trip to the Okefenokee swamp. Our scout master spotted an indigo and told us about how they were becoming rare. People were gassing gopher tortoise to get rid of rattle snakes in southern Alabama, indigos were caught in the crossfire. We saw a lot of snakes that trip and I attribute that experience to my interest in reptiles. Not too long after that trip I got a king snake, then corn snake, black rat snake after that, hog nose, ball python...etc etc

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Many years ago, when I still owned my pet shop, I had a customer tell me that whenever he visited his property in Arkansas (we lived in Wisconsin) he and his neighbor would take their shotguns and go snake hunting. Apparently their method was to leave sheets of plywood or corrugated tin lying around for several days to weeks. Then one of them would hook the long edge of the plywood with a rope and quickly pull on it raising it like a trap door off the ground. The other would proceed to blast away at anything he saw moving underneath. I just stared at him for several seconds and finally said "Look around you, why would you even tell me something like that" He just stammered something along the lines of he only did it couple of times and it was mainly his neighbors idea. Good thing he wasn't a good customer because I never saw him again after that.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
My brother demanding I use social networks.

My brother: "You sit all day in your office, a cave, reading books, studying obscure trades on the net, listening to music, hacking computers and refusing to socialize, Speaking mostly to the cats and the animals in your yard and going for bike rides on the loneliest empty roads in the area... face it. Your a hermit. An eclectic antisocial drone."
Me, "Seems like a significant contribution to the world to me. If everyone was to act this way we wouldn't have wars, pollution, global warming, Trumps and other pandemics."
Brother: "Civilization would be back to climbing trees and subsisting on picking fruit."
Me, "Would be a significant improvement on what we have now, wouldn't it?"

Champion Namemaker J

Arachnopeon
It's such a beautiful species too. And harmless. I'm with ya on this, Viper. (Sigh)

Humans are the antithesis to progress and the ultimate auto-bane. What a depressing thing to be a part of.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
In Germany, a man has currently mutilated / killed several poisonous snakes and then buried them. He was caught, the background is not unknown...
...but I can already assume that it will cast a dark shadow on the hobby again...
...It's absolutely sickening!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not about snakes, but I got super annoyed/pissed off/caught in disbelief when I came into work and "someone" destroyed Barn Swallow nests that were being actively used by adults, when I came into work on wednesday. :mad: They destroyed the adult nest which meant thhey left the chick's nest, preventing the adults from caring for and feeding the newly hatched young......effin people suck. I waited to see what the swallows were going to do and on saturday and sunday they started rebuilding a nest. So I sent out a little public service announcement heheh ;) to inform them they are breaking a laws. I really dont understand whhat makes people think they can interfere with wild animals life cycles, that are completely harmless for one, just because they feel like it.....?? UGH PEOPLE ARE THE WORST

by company email that I sent to corporate and all staff:

"A little public service announcement the Barn Swallows that we have here are building another nest. I am not sure who destroyed their previous nest, but I just want to inform you that Barn Swallows are a protected migratory bird and it is a State and Federal Offense to destroy their nests now and or harm them, their young, or eggs in anyway under Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. So please do not prevent these birds from carrying out their life cycle, by destroying their nests, they are not harming you in anyway so please do not harm them by destroying their homes, it is not any of our rights to do so.

For your education:

https://fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

And a list of all species of migratory birds protected under State and Federal law and punishable as criminal offenses.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...6d1e07461&mc=true&node=se50.1.10_113&rgn=div8 "

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Not about snakes, but I got super annoyed/pissed off/caught in disbelief when I came into work and "someone" destroyed Barn Swallow nests that were being actively used by adults, when I came into work on wednesday. :mad: They destroyed the adult nest which meant thhey left the chick's nest, preventing the adults from caring for and feeding the newly hatched young......effin people suck. I waited to see what the swallows were going to do and on saturday and sunday they started rebuilding a nest. So I sent out a little public service announcement heheh ;) to inform them they are breaking a laws. I really dont understand whhat makes people think they can interfere with wild animals life cycles, that are completely harmless for one, just because they feel like it.....?? UGH PEOPLE ARE THE WORST

by company email that I sent to corporate and all staff:

"A little public service announcement the Barn Swallows that we have here are building another nest. I am not sure who destroyed their previous nest, but I just want to inform you that Barn Swallows are a protected migratory bird and it is a State and Federal Offense to destroy their nests now and or harm them, their young, or eggs in anyway under Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. So please do not prevent these birds from carrying out their life cycle, by destroying their nests, they are not harming you in anyway so please do not harm them by destroying their homes, it is not any of our rights to do so.

For your education:

https://fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

And a list of all species of migratory birds protected under State and Federal law and punishable as criminal offenses.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...6d1e07461&mc=true&node=se50.1.10_113&rgn=div8 "
I like birds and it would irk me to see this but i thought it was legal to wash away or destroy nests as long as there aren't eggs or chicks in it.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I like birds and it would irk me to see this but i thought it was legal to wash away or destroy nests as long as there aren't egss or chicks in it.
Its only legal is they are not actively used or not durig breeding season, which both of thhose are going on right now. And without a permit.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Its only legal is they are not actively used or not durig breeding season, which both of thhose are going on right now. And without a permit.
Even if you could, poor little buggers.
Imagine working your ass off to build something. You leave to get materials and when you return, it's just gone. I'd stomp on my hat.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Even if you could, poor little buggers.
Imagine working your ass off to build something. You leave to get materials and when you return, it's just gone. I'd stomp on my hat.
Yeah man its really not about thhe law either way, I just used that to get people attention. Its just messed up thhat my boss thinks that its her decision to come in and interfere with an animal and their life cycle just because she feels like she doesnt like them. Like its not your right to get to dictiate that. let me come over to your house while you are gone and demolish your house cuase I dont like you. But the law/lifecycle part caught coporates attention, and our C.O.O said thank you, and we will protect their life cycle!