its starting to happen to me.

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
welp -
no sence fighting it ... I said I was only into T's no intrest in scorps...
thats a bunch of sh*t... I have spent at least 5 days reading about scorps online and I think I am going to go for it very very soon. I happen to be lucky enought to live close to Regal Reptiles.

anyhow two questions ... one I am looking for a good starter species and I am not so sure I want to go the traditional Emp. route... I want something mild venom wise and something communial. any suggestions?

second ... has this happend to anyone else I am starting to look at everything (cept pedes) and I never thought in a million years I would want scorps ... how long will it be till I have a collection the size of yours hehehe? when were you just like 'f*&k it' I already have 20 bugs why not 90?

oh brother I think I am screwed hehe

looseyfur

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I started out the other way. Only scorps for me, please. Then, I got my first T and now we have lots of them. Still a bigger scorp fan, though.

If you want something with a bit more zip than emps, I'd suggest Heterometrus. Same impressive size. Same impressive black colouration. A bit .. bolder ... in the attitude dept.

Other communal scorps are the Centruruodes. Venom ranges within the genus. They are small, but tonnes of fun to watch.

Vaejovis are also communal.

Cheers,
Dave

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
SHD

I am hooked ...

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/v_waeringi1.jpg

who wouldnt like that..
Man scorps are too cool.
I am going to regal reptiles on wed. and I can get anything I want within reason from Pat so all I need to do is decide on something... tuff to do. If you were in my postion what would you ask him to get for you?

Also could or would anyone post a pic of there setups for their scorps??

thanks so much -
Looseyfur

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: SHD

Originally posted by looseyfur
I am hooked ...

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/v_waeringi1.jpg

who wouldnt like that..
Man scorps are too cool.
I am going to regal reptiles on wed. and I can get anything I want within reason from Pat so all I need to do is decide on something... tuff to do. If you were in my postion what would you ask him to get for you?

Also could or would anyone post a pic of there setups for their scorps??

thanks so much -
Looseyfur
Loosey.......I prefer to use basic setups for my scorpions, I use either 16 quart sterilite brand plastic containers for the larger sp. of scorps or the 5 quart for the smaller sp. they either have holes drilled in the side and or the middle of the tops cut out and hardware cloth hot glued in for ventilation (this depends on if they are going to be stacked or not, the ones with holes in the side are stacked, the ones with the tops cut out are not stacked) I generally use a 50/50 mixture of forest bed and clean play sand for substrate, I use plastic lasagna dishes for hides, they have a hole cut in them. I provide a water dish for the larger scorps and the smaller scorps I moisten the substrate and I also add water polymer crystals since I have had a few bad experiences with small scorps drowning in their water dishes.
I recommend Manny Rubio's book "scorpions, a complete pet owners manual" printed by barron's.....not a perfect book but very informative. shows how "hot" the venom of a particular sp. is and general care info along with recommended pet sp.
do a search for scorpion setups, I think there are a good number of pictures and info here somewhere.
Ed