It's so blue [Pic]

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
It's so blue

Hey All,

Here's a pic of one of the baby S. heros castaneiceps babies that I got from John LaRizzio. Is it not the most amazing sapphire blue? The picture doesn't really do it justice....

Scott

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Scott. I agree. I've had a tough time capturing that blue-ish tone in my pics as well. I can testify though! That's cool that you decided to give these guys another chance. They are magnificent as adults. The 2 adults I have are huge!
Plus, they're almost always visable and active. Do you keep any adult S. heros castaniceps?
BTW, how is your little heros heros doing? Good I hope.

Later.

Atrax

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I have to admit, my two brand new babies appear very dark navy, not sapphire.. maybe I need better light in that room... very old, yellowy bulbs probably don't help much... ;)

Atrax, you say you have adult S. h. c.'s? Did you raise them from babies, and if so... how quickly do they grow to adult size? Just out of curiosity... ant to know what to expect... :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I have the one SHC adult and the one SHH adult. The SHH disappeared for about a month, stopped taking prey and never came out. I'm assuming it molted although I haven't notice any significant size increase since it's made it's reappearance, although it has been eating alot lately :)

Scott

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, all 3 of my S.h.c.'s are w/c. (hmmm...that felt kinda goofy to type...:? )
I am pretty curious myself. I'm just theorizing here but my guess is that they may be fairly slow growers. My only basis for that theory is that many inverts from a drier climate tend to be as such while tropical inverts seem to be fast growing. I know that's a pretty bad way to judge though. I bet Rowland Shelly knows. (I've got to get that book as well)
As far as humidity, even though they are from a drier climate, chances are that they burrow during the day to keep cool and retain moisture. I haven't gone so far as to soak the substrate though. I give them a pretty good mist on half the enclosure every other day or so. My original idea was to mist half the enclosure and then observe whether or not they hang out on the misted side or the dry side. Of course by the time I've misted all my bugs, it's either time for bed, or something like that and I keep forgetting to do the "observing" part.
I wish I could be of more help at the moment.

Later.

Atrax

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I've got to get that book also....

Your theory about growing slow makes sense... one of my babies just died last night, and I KNOW it wasn't from dessication... maybe I kept them TOO humid for a desert species?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, that sucks!!! I think Scott had the same thing happen with one of his a while back. He thought maybe he kept them too humid too. Hey Scott, are you keeping your new S.h.c.'s at a lower humidity now? if so, how are they doing?

Atrax

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Well, out of the 11 I got, one died. The one that died is the only one that didn't eat when I first fed them 2 days after I got them. I am keeping them much less humid though. With the original ones that I had, I kept the entire substrate moist. With this new group, I'm only spraying a small section of the substrate at each feeding. Some of them are staying on the moist section and some aren't. Haven't seen burrowing from any of them. They're always above surface level. They've all been eating fine too. They're on their crickets as soon as they hit the ground next to them. I just wish we could figure out what could be causing these unexplained deaths.....

Scott

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Well, one funny behavior I noticed after misting heavily was that the pede would would walk around feeling with its antennea,and then would stop periodically and literally floss its antenna one by one through it's mouth to clean them.... looks REALLY cute. However, is this maybe indicative of substrate that's TOO moist? The one I observed behaving in this manner is the one that died, btw...

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I've seen some of my adults as well as many of the babies doing that. I don't think it's necessarily indicitive of anything being wrong. More of a "my antennae's are wet and I want to clean them off because I keep walking into walls" thing

Scott

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Hehe... good to know. It's stinking hilarious watching them do that... that would suck if they flinched in the middle of it and bit off their own antenna! I figured it was just a preening thing, but I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out what I could've done different...