it's raining slings!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yikes! I'm a mom AGAIN....
I just checked on my Usambara, and babies are emerging from her webbing....
Needless to say, she is not nearly as accommodating as Frizz, my curlyhair mom...
Helloween is ANGRY :)
THis is going to be an experience....maybe best attempted in my bathtub???!!

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Congrats Holley. I would definitely do the bathroom thing....definitely...... :)

Good Luck,

Scott

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you gonna be puttin these up for adoption too??
dont know if im ready for something with so much attitude and speed though....but they sound like cool spiders from what i've read from you owners out there.......and Holley....i think your usambara mother's name says it all!!! "Helloween"....lol

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ur going to have quite a bit of lil' terrors on ur hands:D

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats, Holley!

BTW, the curly slings are doing great.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right on Holley! How much ya sellin' s'lings for anyway? :cool:

Atrax

Fuggrur

Arachnopeon
Im willing/Wanting to take/buy a couple/few from you if you decide to sell/giveupforadoption :)

/

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
What a fun Trick or Treat theme you've got going... Congrates on the babies!!! And take some serious time to relax after the adventure in the bathroom;)

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) i suppose you can chill them out by letting watch the benb smiley band=D

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Holy Usambara!

Sleep with one eye open Holley, that's a lot of evil spiders under one roof. "I need a young preist and an old preist!"
Congrats on the babies. The vials and vials of babies. I think you need to take a break from being a mommy of mommies! Any pictures yet?
Paul

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Congratulations

Congrats on your new mom, Any guess as to how many she's had?

I've heard even as spiderlings Usambara's are really defensive. Is this true?

Best of luck,

Bill.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Splitting them up is quite an adveture. I think I lost quite a few in my house the first time I bred them :eek: ! The problem is they can easily scale surfaces that slow down most terrestrials. Also, escapees seem to do quite well in the home, unlike most T's. I've found them weeks after escaping, apparently well fed and having molted at least once. I gave one to a friend once, and it escaped. He found it, several months later in the back corner of his sock drawer. It even had constructed a silk tube retreat in there, plus he also found molts around the apartment!

In the process of splitting them up, I had to catch some of the fleeing ones in my hands. I would carefully hold them between thumb and forefinger and they did try to bite, at least it felt like it, but they couldn't break the skin. I only handled them this way when there was no choice other than letting them escape.

They can be kept together for quite awhile, but the bigger they get, the faster and biteyer they get as well.

Fun, fun!

Wade

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Wade
that is NOT what I want to hear! I am taking them into the bathtub when I get home today, and separating them there. They should show up nicely against white porcelain if there are any that try to escape.
As far as selling them, I'm trying to work out a good price...I will let everyone know as soon as I know. They look like 1st instar at this point, big fat bodies, and little short legs.
I don't want to wait to separate these guys though!

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry it took so long to get to repley and say yyyyaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy for you again and again and well you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holley-

They may be slower at this stage, so maybe it won't be so bad. I'm usually lazy and wait to long...

The big problem is going to be the others escaping while you're busy corralling annother. It's good to have a lot of small codiment cups around so you can quickly drop them over a running sling. An index card slides easily underneath to trap the spider when you're ready to move it.

Wade

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
just my thoughts...

I will usually put the rearing container, or whatever is holding a large amount of running spiderlings, in a larger dish with water, essentially building a moat.
Most of them will stop before they sense the water, but some (like my C. thorelli) will actually venture into the water and run around the moat.
john

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That moat idea is very clever.

And this is the only reason why I am sad I live in Canada. It is imposible to get ahold of tarantulas from you guys because I live north of the 49th parallel.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Holley,
Damn girl, you're moving along nicely! Well done!!
It's great to see people grow with this hobby, I remember when we first started communicating and you've sure come a long way, so again congrats to ya!

My only advice would be to have another pair of hands available for the seperation, you know how pterrors like to climb ;)

Cheers,
Steve Nunn

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks for the advice everyone!
And yes, Steve, I remember my frantic emails about my poor A seemanni :)
Well, I have good news, and bad news.
The good news is I separated mom in the bathtub, and all went very well.
The bad news is that the eggsac must be the world's smallest :(
I separated 34 of them, and that's about it. Of those, I think 3-4 are dead :(
There are some still in the eggsac, but less than 20 I'm sure. There are also undeveloped eggs as well..not sure what happened.
This is the spider I have had problems with every time though. Last time I bred her, she molted. I wasn't even sure there WAS an eggsac, and now I know why.
I am trying to incubate the rest inside the sac, if anyone has advice on how to do that let me know. I am worried about mold, or the bad eggs affecting the babies.
Oh well, at least there was an eggsac, and there are SOME babies...that is still a sort of sucess!
Holley