It's not a curly hair.... It's....

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
My gravid curly molted a few days ago (yes, I was quite pissed). Once I found out, I took a closer look at her. Her abdomen hair was bright red, and her legs were blue. Her legs also had stripes down them. It took a little searching, but I've now learned that she's a Brachypelma Angustum! There's a picture here: http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/2/0039.htm .

Does anyone have information on this species? Is it very common in the pet trade? What should I know about her?

-Bryan

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Brachypelma..schmakypelma...hhehehe!
good for you...a bit more rare, and a nice spider!
Care should be close to the B albo, you probably have the correct conditions for her. Too bad she molted on you though... :(
So far, it's happened with both my Pterrors, that had just mated with the male...bummer

D

devildoll

i have a B. angustrum spiderling i got free from kelly swift.
i've heard it may be a little more fiesty than most Brachys....
wont know till mine grows up though:)

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
My curly is had copper hair on his abdomen when he molted, and im sure he had a tint of blue to his carapace. He's molting soon, so i can be sure what he is then. He is still too young.

BertWright

Arachnopeon
Not a Curly Hair

NOT a curly hair? The Rick West photo link that you provided looks fairly similar to one of my Curly Hairs, Shrek. Shrek has the slightest tinge of orange on her opisthosoma, and, after molt, appears just as striking as the Rick West photo. I've been calling Shrek a Curly Hair. I bought Shrek as a Curly Hair. Shrek appears to have just as much 'Curly Hair' as do my other Curly Hairs. I mean, come on, Curly is as Curly does (?). It's been my limited experience that even within a particular species, a tarantula will vary (often dramatically) in appearance as they age between molts. I'm not a tough sell though - if what I have are not Brachypelma albopilosum, they're definitely Brachypelma sp. I probably wont tell them until they're fully mature.