its here!

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
97
it's here! finnaly! my first tarantula, a female chile rose. she's about 3 inches. im very happy:D
 

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
296
tight! start feeding it right away! that's the fun part having a tarantulas :)
 

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
3,786
Originally posted by happymeal
IMO, I would wait on feeding for a couple of days to let him/her get to know its surroundings.


H.M.
I think you give the T too much credit for its "emotional sensitivity". I've seen the hoopla about letting them acclimate for days, some even claim to wait a week; I've never wasted my time with it. Whether or not a T will feed is one of the primary indicators if it's healthy and not too stressed. I give them a few hours to rest and then feeding I go. Never seen a T (that didn't turn out to be in premoult) refuse yet.
 

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
97
it seems to be fine, at the moment pretty much all it is doing is sitting on top of its cork bark. ive put two crickets in there which have now been in there for about 2 and a half hours but it doesn't seem interested, maybe it will later on. the crickets aren't moving around much though, all they do is sit next to the heat mat so i don't think she has noticed them although when they do touch her she just moves out of the way. i hope she eats soon. also she hasn't noticed the water dish yet. shes probably just getting used to her new home.

Jono
 

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
521
Originally posted by Code Monkey
II've seen the hoopla about letting them acclimate for days, some even claim to wait a week; I've never wasted my time with it.
And hoopla it truly is. Like code says, these critters just don't have a lot of emotional luggage LOL. Everytime I get new slings in I feed them as soon as they go into their new homes - 99% of them eat. The other 1% might wait an hour or two at the most, unless, of course, a molt is coming. I have had a sling that pounced on a pinhead as I dumped the sling out of it's shipping vial. The pinhead had jumped out of the small container of them I had sitting on the desk and was running around on the paper towel I was dumping the vial onto. So, short and long of it - feed it and don't worry about waiting until it sets up house :)
If she doesn't eat those crix by morning, take them out since she may be getting ready to molt. Then try her again in a few days.

Gail
 

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
431
code and gail

i would have to chime in with them... I never bother with acclimation I would leave the crickets ( I honestly would have dropped in only one) overnight and if they are still there in the morning I would remove them. Keep and eye on her and keep posting if theres any troubles ....

loo5eyfur

e.
 

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
533
Originally posted by Gail

If she doesn't eat those crix by morning, take them out since she may be getting ready to molt. Then try her again in a few days.
But then again, it is a rosea, never know when and if they're going to eat...;)
 

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Messages
706
I agree with the above comment. Even if it doesn't eat being a G. rosea I wouldn't worry. They often stop eating for no apparent reason anyway.
 

r_cafin

Arachnopeon
Joined
Oct 22, 2002
Messages
28
Rosea comments

I have a rosea and it ate the first day i had it...ate a lot actualy...i have also read that rosies go through a fast from november till april..has anyone had this happen to them ..mine ate a week ago..so i havent noticed it yet..just my 2 cents worth...Ryan
 

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 21, 2002
Messages
1,373
hey

i think they fast for a long period of time, but i am not so sure on november to April,

James
 

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
3,786
I don't know about G. rosea since I've never kept one, but I've seen wild caught Brachypelma from pre-CITES days (sigh...) that would undergo winter fasts. It was like their instincts were telling them, "Clearly that cricket hopping on your head is a hallucination because it's cold out and no food is available, so don't even waste your time."
 
Last edited:
Top