It's happening again...

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another one of my T's is showing signs of DKS. It's one of my female H.macs. This happens to my Ts so darn often. I have already lost half a dozen Ts from DKS in the past year or so.

I know that nobody knows what causes it, but I cant help but wonder what Im doing wrong. Every time this happens, it makes me want to stop keeping Ts. I know that sounds stupid, but Im just getting so frustrated and angry with myself. There has to be something that Im doing wrong.

I just needed to vent. Im pretty bummed out. This H.mac girl is one of the Ts from the first dozen Ts that I started with before I really started to get into the hobby. I have had her for more than 3 years.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear this. :( You said you've had her for more that 3 years? Was she an adult when you got her? She could just be really old. I know when my MM A. avicularia was nearing his end he was displaying DKS-like symtoms.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear this Jake.. :( Dont be so hard on yourself though.. There is nothing you can do about it..

As Ariel said.. Maybe she is just old..

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm really sorry to hear it, Jake.

But since there's no known cause for it, I should hardly think it has anything to do with you. From what I see, you're a smart and compassionate T keeper, and I can't imagine it being your fault.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where as no one can be fully sure of the causes of DKS over here in the UK there are people looking into the fact it may stem from a high fluoride content in certain post codes (zip codes) water supplies and another study into the use of locusts as food items. Apparently the temps that some locusts are kept at with certain foods in there digestive systems may cause the food in the gut loaded locusts to become somewhat putrid and off, although personally I believe its fluoride levels in tap water, after all fluoride was initially used as a pesticide.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man, that sucks! There has to be some common denominator, doesn't there? Something with feeders, water, some chemical used somewhere.... I dunno, I'm sorry to hear this :(

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aye, that sucks man. :(

I've only had one T die of DKS, and when she was on her least legs, still convulsing, I nearly burst into tears. It's tough. :(

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very sorry to hear :( But I agree that it sounds like there is something going on if you've had this many get it. Not saying it's anything you're doing/not doing, maybe just something in the environment.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks guys. When I got her she was maybe 3". Im thinking of switching from crickets to dubia. I get crickets from the pet store once a week so Im not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Im pretty bummed out. I have her away from my other Ts. I havent reused any of the old enclosures from the others. There are half a dozen 10 gallons and a 5 gallon just sitting in my garage that aree going to go in the trash.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks guys. When I got her she was maybe 3". Im thinking of switching from crickets to dubia. I get crickets from the pet store once a week so Im not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Im pretty bummed out. I have her away from my other Ts. I havent reused any of the old enclosures from the others. There are half a dozen 10 gallons and a 5 gallon just sitting in my garage that aree going to go in the trash.
Id start a B.Dubia colony anyway mate, although maybe as a trial give them fresh spring water for a good period of time, see if it helps???

madamwlf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That sucks. I wish I knew what caused it. I just adopted a rosie that has the symptoms. And from what I've been told, this rosie was fed on live mice. I've put her in a cooler room and hoping she survives it.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where as no one can be fully sure of the causes of DKS over here in the UK there are people looking into the fact it may stem from a high fluoride content in certain post codes (zip codes) water supplies and another study into the use of locusts as food items. Apparently the temps that some locusts are kept at with certain foods in there digestive systems may cause the food in the gut loaded locusts to become somewhat putrid and off, although personally I believe its fluoride levels in tap water, after all fluoride was initially used as a pesticide.
Thats interesting. I thought about the safety of using tap water for them before. With all the chemicals they put in the water to make it safe for us, maybe its making it unsafe for other things like inverts.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do you have any cats or dogs in the house?
do you visit with someone who has cats or dogs?

moose

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Check the cricket box at lps

Jake, Sorry to hear about your trouble :(. I've got an idea that could possibly help. This following is beginning to sound like a skipping record but I've lost 3 slings with t-keeping this time around. 1 P irminia was munched by a tiny cricket when molting 3 weeks after previous molt. I'm 99% sure 2 pulchra sling deaths were the result of a bad cricket batch from my lps. The crickets died at the store afterward. Their supplier evidently lost quite a few as well. They get their crickets in on Tuesday. I wait minimum of 2, usually 3 days before getting crickets and look in the box beforehand. While this wouldn't be 100% helpful in some cases, it's a start. In any case, I sure hope this stops happening for you. Cheers, Terry