It's happened again. Another male.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I posted recently about being sold a rosehair at a show as a guarenteed female, only to sex it the next day as a male. That company never replied (Reptile Connection in Silver Springs, MD). That wasn't too bad. It was only a $5 spider, so I don't mind only getting a year with it.

The problem is with my Therephosia blondi. It was sold to me when it was about 1.5" and the dealer told me he was certain it was female. He said if it wasn't (on the final molt) to give it back to him and he'd give me a female. This purchase was made at my first trip to my herp club (monthly meeting of reptile, amphibian, and arachnid people). I haven't seen him since, by the way.

Last night, my blondi was out of her burrow, walking around. I assumed she was hungry, so I threw some crickets in. It lifted its abdomen in a reverse threat posture at one of the crickets. When it did, I got out a flashlight, as this was my first opportunity to sex this spider. To my dismay, I saw the tell-tale patch of thick hairs that means my she is a he...

This one hurts. This is my favorite spider. I don't know what to do if I lose him only a couple years from now :8o

-Bryan

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I know the disapointment when you know your time w/ the T is short (er). On the bright side though, a mature male blondi means a bunch of little blondis before to long right? You won't have any trouble finding a mate for the big guy when he does mature, that's for sure.

See ya.
Atrax

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I actualy find this sort of humorous -- not that your T is going to die sooner (that's unfortunate, I'm very sorry) -- but that everyone is always talking about how overjoyed they are to get females and dissapointed they are to get males.

I'm always looking to get males because after doing a lot of research I've discovered that they are actualy somewhat important to the whole breeding thing. :)

Cheers,
Dave

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Very true, Dave, and I certainly understand that (as I buy males for that exact reason). That said, when I buy one and am told it's female, I am expecting what I'm handing money over for. Granted, I know I can breed my blondi in the future, I'm horribly attached to him. It's going to be so hard to let go so soon. I wasn't expecting this to come for another 10 years, at least.

-Bryan

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Bryan,

Yeah, I understand. I must admit that while Peter (male G.rosea) is being quite the stud and doing exactly the job he was intended to do, it will still be hard to see him pass. I only hope that he's leaving a genetic legacy that will live on for a long, long time.

Cheers,
Dave