It's getting cold...

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just abit cautious about my Tarantulas. It's autumn here in the UK, its cold and getting colder so naturally I'm abit concerned for my tarantulas. I know heat mats are a big no no and I've seen it suggested that if I'm comfortable my tarantulas should be comfortable. If I'm having to wear a jumper in my house is that "comfortable" tho?Atm I'm keeping my house at a constant heat of 18 °c and it still feels cold to me, well at night anyway. I've never actually lost a tarantula to cold and I don't intend to either I'm Just wondering tho if I am doing enough?

Last edited:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Just abit cautious about my Tarantulas. It's autumn here in the UK, its cold and getting colder so naturally I'm abit concerned for my tarantulas. I know heat mats are a big no no and I've seen it suggested that if I'm comfortable my tarantulas should be comfortable. If I'm having to wear a jumper in my house is that "comfortable" tho. Atm I'm keeping my house at a constant heat of 18 °c and it still feels cold to me at night anyway. I've never actually lost a tarantula to cold and I don't intend to either. Just wondering tho am I doing enough?
18 degrees is definitely on the low side both for your tarantulas and yourself (in my opinion). If you cannot keep the room temperatures higher you might consider a heat mat for your Ts, but place it on the side of the enclosure and not underneath it.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
18 degrees is definitely on the low side both for your tarantulas and yourself (in my opinion). If you cannot keep the room temperatures higher you might consider a heat mat for your Ts, but place it on the side of the enclosure and not underneath it.
I think I'll just turn it up, what temperature would you suggest? I am j trying to be frugal as well.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I think I'll just turn it up, what temperature would you suggest? I am j trying to be frugal as well.
It depends a bit on which genera of T`s you`re keeping, but in general I think you will be fine with temperatures above 20 degrees.

TimmmyTarantula

Arachnopeon
If you dont want to raise the temperature in your whole house you could try looking for a small space heater just to heat that room I don't know what energy costs in the UK but running a heater would probably be cheaper than heating your whole house

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It depends a bit on which genera of T`s you`re keeping, but in general I think you will be fine with temperatures above 20 degrees.
Thanks I'll keep it 20 plus. To be fair tho a couple of my tarantulas have had no issues molting just lately.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I'm also in the uk and my room regularly hits 13/14 in the winter and all of mine are fine, even slings. 18 is nowhere near a concerning low temperature IMO

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I dropped the thermostat from 24 to 22 the other day and the air feels ice cold! I’ve also become unwell! :rofl:

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm also in the uk and my room regularly hits 13/14 in the winter and all of mine are fine, even slings. 18 is nowhere near a concerning low temperature IMO
Thanks that's refreshing to hear

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
You're welcome! I'm not suggesting 13/14 is an ideal temperature at all, plus 20 would be lovely... Especially for me 😅 just know they aren't going to wilt if the thermostat hits 17 one day

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Space heater would probably be your best bet. I know that heat mats CAN be used correctly in some circumstances (don't put them underneath the enclosures), but I've never personally used them. Maybe someone who knows how to use them properly can chime in.

TimmmyTarantula

Arachnopeon
I used a heat mat once when i was new to the hobby, my apartment at the time was so drafty in the winter with the heat blasting it was hard to get the temp to stay above 70f. I just had one avic at the time and was afraid it was too cold considering they're a tropical species. I got a small heat pad with a thermostat control unit and placed it under because I rationalized the avic was arboreal and didn't want the pad against the glass so close to the t. It was effective at producing the right temp it was also a really effective way to turn an arboreal T into a terrestrial t as my t decided to live on the substrate above the heat source. So yea there's definitely a way to safely use a heat pad but in my experience the t will do whatever it can to get as close to that heat source as possible. I now live in a hot climate where year round it never dips below the heat of the 7th level of hell lol

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Get yourself a heat mat. Place it on the back of the tank - outside - and about an inch or so above the substrate level, insulate the rear of the mat with polystyrene and you're good to go.
Either continue to use the t/stat probe setting if inside the tank, or tape the probe to the end of the mat - the last of the heating part - if you tape the probe to the mat you will have to re adjust the temperature setting on the controller accordingly.
Always use a Good quality t/stat whenever you use a heat mat.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I used a heat mat once when i was new to the hobby, my apartment at the time was so drafty in the winter with the heat blasting it was hard to get the temp to stay above 70f. I just had one avic at the time and was afraid it was too cold considering they're a tropical species. I got a small heat pad with a thermostat control unit and placed it under because I rationalized the avic was arboreal and didn't want the pad against the glass so close to the t. It was effective at producing the right temp it was also a really effective way to turn an arboreal T into a terrestrial t as my t decided to live on the substrate above the heat source. So yea there's definitely a way to safely use a heat pad but in my experience the t will do whatever it can to get as close to that heat source as possible. I now live in a hot climate where year round it never dips below the heat of the 7th level of hell lol
You should never place a heat mat under an enclosure - unless there is a decent air gap between mat and tank, and there is a very little substrate, I think 10 mm maximum. If not you will have all sorts of problems. Cooked T, massive hot spots, and even fires. Don't do it.

TimmmyTarantula

Arachnopeon
You should never place a heat mat under an enclosure - unless there is a decent air gap between mat and tank, and there is a very little substrate, I think 10 mm maximum. If not you will have all sorts of problems. Cooked T, massive hot spots, and even fires. Don't do it.

Yes totally agree! like I said it was something I did as a new hobbyist with no experience

Eadaein

Arachnopeon
I agree with the space heater route. I don't trust heading mats, I had one go wonky once on a snake tank I used to have. Heated up too much, nope, hate them. I have a space heater running in my Tarantulas room if it's in that too cold range.
Just my random .02 cents lol

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
I agree with everyone on the space heater.

Note on that though is that it does dry a room out very quickly so keep an eye on the moisture levels in your enclosures.

Eadaein

Arachnopeon
[QUOTE
Note on that though is that it does dry a room out very quickly so keep an eye on the moisture levels in your enclosures.
[/QUOTE]
Super good point! I do have to double my efforts with the humidity. Super glad you mentioned that

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I know heat mats are a big no no and I've seen it suggested that if I'm comfortable my tarantulas should be comfortable.
Two of the most useless suggestions out there.

Heat mats are completely safe if done correctly, like everything in this hobby.

Check this thread, it could be helpful for you

We should stop suggesting people that If you are confortable, Ts are gonna be too. It only works in pleasant climates. I'm confortable at pretty low temps, anything above 13+°C, could my ts survive keeping them at such temps? I wouldn't like to check it.