It's funny how life works out sometimes.. (New pick up)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
So for years I have been getting more and more tired of dealing with the itching and burning of N/W hairs.. I've also gotten much more sensitive to them. I've thinned my collection accordingly.

For years I also thought T.stirmi were kind of ugly Ts and that there was nothing very special about them. Well for whatever reason about a year ago I became intrigued by them.. That intrigue turned to a pure love for the species.. The huge carapace, the stocky yet athletic build,the subtle velevet brown coloration..The massive size, the feeding responce the well, I could go on forever.. :writer:

Then logic would kick in.. Those damn hairs, the space a proper enclosure would take up, most are imports on deaths door step.. :banghead:

Well the day before yesterday I saw her.. Sitting all alone at a friends table at a local reptile show. Pristine.. The most prestine I have ever seen :angelic:

The price was great but NO!!! Those hairs the tanks space.. I held off..

Regret filled my head all night :rage:...So much so that I texted the next day to see if she had been sold.. I was half wishing she was sold so that the decision was made for me.. She wasn't.. I had to buy her I HAD TOO! Except I didn't...Luckily my friend needed a male G.pulchra that I picked up earlier that day :)..

So with logic kicked to the wind where it belongs I picked her up last night and here She is in all her glory..
20170508_164849.jpg
A 7+ inch two year captive.. She is litterally so calm it's ridiculous.. She didn't bite,threaten or even flick hairs while transferring her into her enclosure.. The funny thing about that is that my friend warned me she was very defensive.. I'm taking her docile nature as a sign that she belonged with me.. Someday she will probably hair me to death and then chew off my face but whatever :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of her enclosure.. Nothing fancy because I'm moving soon, just a tote a hide and a few bricks of coco fiber..

20170508_162202.jpg The little cap was size reference for something I did on Instagram. The distance from the sub to the top is misleading as she can almost reach the lid when standing on her back legs. So don't worry about her falling.

Once I'm moved in and settled into my new house I will be setting her up in something like a 40g breeder or something similar.. She's to awesome not to show off.

Once she gets familiar with her new enclosure and settles more I will get better pics for you guys.. If you want feel free to post Pics of your T.stirmi's below.. Hope you enjoyed my girl so far :kiss:

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I keep telling myself the same thing about getting a Theraphosa, but I know it's only a matter of time before I join you, haha. Congrats man!

Ran

Arachnoknight
Beautiful 14pokies! I have several stirmi females ranging from 6-10"...underrated species for sure, and 1 apophysis girl 8". FYI, I put a cotton ball to fill the holes on their hides to keep humidity in but still gets air flow.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Beautiful 14pokies! I have several stirmi females ranging from 6-10"...underrated species for sure, and 1 apophysis girl 8". FYI, I put a cotton ball to fill the holes on their hides to keep humidity in but still gets air flow.
Thanks! I wouldn't say they are underrated but I think they get lost in the shuffle when compared to other large or colourful N/W terrestrials Genus's like Pamphobeteus or xenesthis etc..

Thanks for the tip on the hide. I'm not to worried though because the room they are in is the main T room and it also houses a water monitor and a few snakes that require high humidity. It's pretty humid in there close to 80%..

boina

Lady of the mites
I still think they are ugly and I don't like the color :troll:. How many years did it take you to change your mind?

Nevertheless, that's a really impressive spider :D.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I was never too interested in them myself until I saw one in person and the size and bulkiness instantly drew me in so someday I'll have one :)... just not today:(

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I still think they are ugly and I don't like the color :troll:. How many years did it take you to change your mind?

Nevertheless, that's a really impressive spider :D.
Lol.. Over fifteen years! Don't know what changed but I'm glad it did!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I was never too interested in them myself until I saw one in person and the size and bulkiness instantly drew me in so someday I'll have one :)... just not today:(
Well I'm working out a deal on a young male so maybe when your ready you can get one of my baby's..

Breeding this species is actually a big reason I'm drawn to them. I hear it can be difficult to get the females to drop a sac..

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So for years I have been getting more and more tired of dealing with the itching and burning of N/W hairs.. I've also gotten much more sensitive to them. I've thinned my collection accordingly.

For years I also thought T.stirmi were kind of ugly Ts and that there was nothing very special about them. Well for whatever reason about a year ago I became intrigued by them.. That intrigue turned to a pure love for the species.. The huge carapace, the stocky yet athletic build,the subtle velevet brown coloration..The massive size, the feeding responce the well, I could go on forever.. :writer:

Then logic would kick in.. Those damn hairs, the space a proper enclosure would take up, most are imports on deaths door step.. :banghead:

Well the day before yesterday I saw her.. Sitting all alone at a friends table at a local reptile show. Pristine.. The most prestine I have ever seen :angelic:

The price was great but NO!!! Those hairs the tanks space.. I held off..

Regret filled my head all night :rage:...So much so that I texted the next day to see if she had been sold.. I was half wishing she was sold so that the decision was made for me.. She wasn't.. I had to buy her I HAD TOO! Except I didn't...Luckily my friend needed a male G.pulchra that I picked up earlier that day :)..

So with logic kicked to the wind where it belongs I picked her up last night and here She is in all her glory..
View attachment 239569
A 7+ inch two year captive.. She is litterally so calm it's ridiculous.. She didn't bite,threaten or even flick hairs while transferring her into her enclosure.. The funny thing about that is that my friend warned me she was very defensive.. I'm taking her docile nature as a sign that she belonged with me.. Someday she will probably hair me to death and then chew off my face but whatever :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of her enclosure.. Nothing fancy because I'm moving soon, just a tote a hide and a few bricks of coco fiber..

View attachment 239570 The little cap was size reference for something I did on Instagram. The distance from the sub to the top is misleading as she can almost reach the lid when standing on her back legs. So don't worry about her falling.

Once I'm moved in and settled into my new house I will be setting her up in something like a 40g breeder or something similar.. She's to awesome not to show off.

Once she gets familiar with her new enclosure and settles more I will get better pics for you guys.. If you want feel free to post Pics of your T.stirmi's below.. Hope you enjoyed my girl so far :kiss:
She's a beautiful example congrats. I myself am in a similar situation im in this hobby because of a Theraphosa only it was a true blondi female my friend had when I was in my teens it was obviously a wild caught specimen and I keep telling myself I should have one in my collection at some point but I'm still resisting for now as I don't have the space it's that simple

14pokies

Arachnoprince
She's a beautiful example congrats. I myself am in a similar situation im in this hobby because of a Theraphosa only it was a true blondi female my friend had when I was in my teens it was obviously a wild caught specimen and I keep telling myself I should have one in my collection at some point but I'm still resisting for now as I don't have the space it's that simple
Thank you man.. She really is a beautiful stirmi right? Most of the ones I see look like they got beat with a stick during capture..

The space they take up can be problematic for sure.. She's only 7 inches and her enclosure is already bigger than any other species I own. I have poecs the same size who's enclosures take up half the space.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm taking her docile nature as a sign that she belonged with me.. Someday she will probably hair me to death and then chew off my face but whatever :rolleyes:
This made me laugh harder than it probably should have, sounds like my B. hamorii (who will most probably forgo the hair storm in favour of getting straight to the face-chewing).

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Beautiful girl.

What's the hole in the hide for,,,, are you peeking on her? :D

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Love to see stirmi, especially big ones :D I got one at the NARBC in Tinely as a small 1.5" sling. Already molted and eating like a fiend, they are some of my new favorite T's! I see them all the time in zoos and scientific collection, so I just think it's awesome to own something that impressive as a pet. Can't wait until mine gets to that size ;) Good luck with the girl. Those hairs are a handleful.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Are they quick or slow growing. I know where I can get a sling but I'm just undecided.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This made me laugh harder than it probably should have, sounds like my B. hamorii (who will most probably forgo the hair storm in favour of getting straight to the face-chewing).
Lol.. Choked to death first or consumed alive.. Tough choice.. Lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Love to see stirmi, especially big ones :D I got one at the NARBC in Tinely as a small 1.5" sling. Already molted and eating like a fiend, they are some of my new favorite T's! I see them all the time in zoos and scientific collection, so I just think it's awesome to own something that impressive as a pet. Can't wait until mine gets to that size ;) Good luck with the girl. Those hairs are a handleful.
Thanks they really have a presence about them.. It's hard to explain. It's the same way I feel about my pokies.. It's like nature perfected the object it set out to create..They are Just stunning arachnids.

Yea the hairs have me scared honestly.. I already react badly to species that have relatively benign hairs.. If I forget myself and pull a piece of webbing from my Avics enclosures with my fingers I break out pretty bad..

It's going to sound stupid but I plan on wearing long sleaves, heavy rubber gloves and a hospital mask when I do cage maintenance or re houses with her.. I didn't use any of that today because I used the rubber end of my 4ft snake hook to coax her out of the deli container she was in.. I figured I was a safe distance away from any hairs she may have decided to fling..

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Beautiful girl.

What's the hole in the hide for,,,, are you peeking on her? :D
Thanks! No it's actually not the hide I wanted to use.. I broke the first one.. Don't ask I'm still pissed! So I improvised.. It's only temporary as she will have a nice natural looking display enclosure sometime in mid July..

They are fast growing from what I here.. This is my first time keeping them in my personal collection. I took care of countless juvie/adult imports back in the day when I was working at a reptile and invert oriented pet store/whole saler facility..

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Thanks they really have a presence about them.. It's hard to explain. It's the same way I feel about my pokies.. It's like nature perfected the object it set out to create..They are Just stunning inverts..

Yea the hairs have me scared honestly.. I already react badly to species that have relatively benign hairs.. If I forget myself and pull a piece of webbing from my Avics enclosures with my fingers I break out pretty bad..

It's going to sound stupid but I plan on wearing long sleaves, heavy rubber gloves and a hospital mask when I do cage maintenance or re houses with her.. I didn't use any of that today because I used the rubber end of my 4ft snake hook to coax her out of the deli container she was in.. I figured I was a safe distance away from any hairs she may have decided to fling..
Wow...... I didn't realize how lucky I've been,,, my genic's fling hairs just for blinking.
I do maintenance bare handed and not the slightest itch.

Now pine needles from the Christmas tree or on the golf course (damm ball always ends up under a pine tree)
That's a whole other thing. Red rash and itch like crazy.