Its Been awhile but my G. Rosea is going to molt

kenspidey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I havent written in the forum in awhile but it looks like its that time again my Rose hair seems to be about to molt. It has webbed of the entrance to its log and is inside. I can see her in there just laying down storing up energy so she can burst out of her exoskeleton and be a new T again. I would really like to witness it flip over because i always wondered how they do that but i will probably miss it because its finals week. Last molt my T molted right in the open so this is a little strange for me since she is webbed up how long does this usually take 1-2 weeks once they web themselves in?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I havent written in the forum in awhile but it looks like its that time again my Rose hair seems to be about to molt. It has webbed of the entrance to its log and is inside. I can see her in there just laying down storing up energy so she can burst out of her exoskeleton and be a new T again. I would really like to witness it flip over because i always wondered how they do that but i will probably miss it because its finals week. Last molt my T molted right in the open so this is a little strange for me since she is webbed up how long does this usually take 1-2 weeks once they web themselves in?

It actually take any amount of time, there is no set of time. It could be tonight, tomorrow, 2 weeks from now, or even a couple months with a G.rosea. It'll probably be sooner, but how long has she been refusing food though? That could give us a better idea.

kenspidey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would agree with the refusing food as this seems to be a sign of a molt onset except with my Rosea last time it molted it ate the day before this happened lol go figure a strange Rosea. I would love for it to molt soon my roomate and friends have been bugging me to see it do this like i have some sort of control over it but it probably didnt help that i told them it ill be molting soon about a month ago due to the balding mirror patch.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would agree with the refusing food as this seems to be a sign of a molt onset except with my Rosea last time it molted it ate the day before this happened lol go figure a strange Rosea. I would love for it to molt soon my roomate and friends have been bugging me to see it do this like i have some sort of control over it but it probably didnt help that i told them it ill be molting soon about a month ago due to the balding mirror patch.
All G.rosea are wierd, it's in their nature.:p

A balding mirror patch does not mean a molt is coming up, that just means it has been stressed and kicking hairs. A pure black rump is the only absolute sign of an upcoming molt.

kenspidey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I didnt mean balding from kicking hair i assure you my T is under no stress as it is kept away from vibrations and people for the most part I meant the rump was begingint to darken and it does seem to loose hair around the mirror patch as it did last time and this time. I hope i am not stressing my T some way I keep it in a Closest with a sliding door and its open during the day and closed at night. I dont expose it to loud music or beat on the tank. Tell me about them being wierd i have read the counteless stories on this site as well as encounter my own phantom water dish flipper and tank rearrager/ burrower lol. Im thinking about getting another T have you had any experience with a Chaco Golden Knee (G Austriata i believe).

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didnt mean balding from kicking hair i assure you my T is under no stress as it is kept away from vibrations and people for the most part I meant the rump was begingint to darken and it does seem to loose hair around the mirror patch as it did last time and this time. I hope i am not stressing my T some way I keep it in a Closest with a sliding door and its open during the day and closed at night. I dont expose it to loud music or beat on the tank. Tell me about them being wierd i have read the counteless stories on this site as well as encounter my own phantom water dish flipper and tank rearrager/ burrower lol. Im thinking about getting another T have you had any experience with a Chaco Golden Knee (G Austriata i believe).

Hm, something could be stressing it out, crickets left in too long or something? :? Cause a balding rump is not a sign of molting, it only falls off when they kick it, which is a defensive thing.

Grammostola aureostriata is a great second T, I have a sling right now(taking forever to grow) and I had a Juvie awhile back that molted alot faster then this sling for some reason. Anyway, if you get a G.aureostriata, get a juvie, a sling will take years and years to reach adulthood. Get a juvie so you can actually see it and enjoy it's colors. It can be kept just like G.rosea, the only difference between these two species is their size and color. G.aureostriata can get to around 8", the most docile big T.

kenspidey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks hmm i will investigate whats going on with my T as i dont leave crickets in longer then a day if it doesnt eat them within that time i take them out and thanks for the advice on the chaco maybe ill be posting something about that soon.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks hmm i will investigate whats going on with my T as i dont leave crickets in longer then a day if it doesnt eat them within that time i take them out and thanks for the advice on the chaco maybe ill be posting something about that soon.

One more thing I wanna ask, is it really bald, or just a little bit? Anyways, you really should get a G.aureostriata, but not a sling.:eek:

kenspidey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To answer the above it is barely bald just enough to tell it is darkening. The strangest thing happened i woke up and My rosie was not in its hide that it webbed itself in abd had broke through the web it made and is sitting in another hiding spot i think its just teasing me now.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To answer the above it is barely bald just enough to tell it is darkening. The strangest thing happened i woke up and My rosie was not in its hide that it webbed itself in abd had broke through the web it made and is sitting in another hiding spot i think its just teasing me now.
Haha, I think it's just acting like a regular G.rosea, wierd!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
One more thing I wanna ask, is it really bald, or just a little bit? Anyways, you really should get a G.aureostriata, but not a sling.:eek:
G. aureostriata slings aren't THAT bad. I got one about 1" as a freebie from Swift's in January '06, and I'd say it's 2" or better now. And this is with fairly lean feeding practices and many months living with roomies who insisted on keeping the house in the 60s. I'm sure if it had been in the 70s the whole time, it'd be even bigger by now.

Not as dramatic as my L. parahybana sling (went from like 1/4" or 1/2" to 2"+ by now), but not as bad as having a tiny tiny sling for years like with some species. My aureo had adult coloration within a few months of my getting it.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
G. aureostriata slings aren't THAT bad. I got one about 1" as a freebie from Swift's in January '06, and I'd say it's 2" or better now. And this is with fairly lean feeding practices and many months living with roomies who insisted on keeping the house in the 60s. I'm sure if it had been in the 70s the whole time, it'd be even bigger by now.

Not as dramatic as my L. parahybana sling (went from like 1/4" or 1/2" to 2"+ by now), but not as bad as having a tiny tiny sling for years like with some species. My aureo had adult coloration within a few months of my getting it.
I powerfed a G.aureo sling I got back in Sept. 06 as a freebie, and it just molted in Apr. 07 for the first time. It had only a 1cm legspan. Almost a whole year to molt. Then the G.aureostriata I had awhile back molted 3 times within 6 months, and it was alot larger; got it at 2" and sold it at 3.75". I'm gonna guess that the one I have now is female and the other was male, but I can be way off because going by how fast they molt is not an accurate way to determine sex.