It's been a year!

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
"I don't think she takes being pet well she is pretty food aggressive im not sure how she would react to humans but maybe I'll save that for a question later on"

This line in your opening post is slightly concerning.
Tarantulas do not to be "petted".
They are very much a hands off animal.
Yes. As we often say, treat them like you would a fish. That doesn’t mean they like to swim though. Don’t do that.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Yes. As we often say, treat them like you would a fish. That doesn’t mean they like to swim though. Don’t do that.
Don’t some species (I heard Hysterocrates) hunt fish?

Concerning the petting though, don’t do it. They won’t enjoy it, and you could end up with urticating hairs in your fingers - or a bite.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Don’t some species (I heard Hysterocrates) hunt fish?

Concerning the petting though, don’t do it. They won’t enjoy it, and you could end up with urticating hairs in your fingers - or a bite.
Yes. Though I’m not sure if people set them up in an enclosure to allow that behavior to occur in captivity. They might.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Yes. Though I’m not sure if people set them up in an enclosure to allow that behavior to occur in captivity. They might.
I’ve seen a few cool threads where people add jelly jars full of water into the enclosure and they purposefully enter them and crawl around in the water.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I’ve seen a few cool threads where people add jelly jars full of water into the enclosure and they purposefully enter them and crawl around in the water.
That’s super cool! Do they actually feed them fish?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Yea except she does not go in my room because of the spider. But yea plus I wanna spend my money on other things like pop figures lol. I would love to have another spider but we might get a snake soon which does sound cool and it will help me with my boredom.
If you're getting a pet because you're bored, no amount of spiders or reptiles will fix that. Maybe get a dog or cat?

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
If you're getting a pet because you're bored, no amount of spiders or reptiles will fix that. Maybe get a dog or cat?
Very true. Spiders can be considered “boring” compared to a lot of other pets. They’re not boring to us because we simply find them interesting, not because they really do much. The only time a T will really be “not boring” is during rehousings. Other than that, they burrow, chill in their hide, eat, and that’s about it.

If you can’t get a cat or dog, I recommend pet rats. I have three, and they’re awesome. And encouraged to be petted and given many treats!

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
It's been another year :) baby is doing well! I am not very active on this site anymore. Time sure passes quick! I would definitely want more of these beautiful creatures I love them so much. IMG_20220518_144059.jpg

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on sticking in the Hobby for a 2nd year. You still only have the pulchra ? Yes, I can understand that they aren't always exciting, but having this wonderful T is better than none at all, right ?

And you really should visit us more often, there's plenty to share and plenty to learn. :)

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
Congrats on sticking in the Hobby for a 2nd year. You still only have the pulchra ? Yes, I can understand that they aren't always exciting, but having this wonderful T is better than none at all, right ?

And you really should visit us more often, there's plenty to share and plenty to learn. :)
Yes I have learned a lot from this site and I will try and stay active! Spiders are very interesting creatures there is so much to learn and so much we don't know that's why I like them so much. Yea I still only have one it will be hard to convince my parents to get more especially since my siblings are against the idea. It took a lot of convincing to get her in the first place so I'm just really happy that I have her.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Quoting a couple of old posts here, but:

"I don't think she takes being pet well she is pretty food aggressive im not sure how she would react to humans but maybe I'll save that for a question later on"

This line in your opening post is slightly concerning.
Tarantulas do not to be "petted".
They are very much a hands off animal.
I'm fairly sure the OP meant it didn't take kindly to being A pet, rather than to being petted.

Very true. Spiders can be considered “boring” compared to a lot of other pets. They’re not boring to us because we simply find them interesting, not because they really do much. The only time a T will really be “not boring” is during rehousings. Other than that, they burrow, chill in their hide, eat, and that’s about it.

If you can’t get a cat or dog, I recommend pet rats. I have three, and they’re awesome. And encouraged to be petted and given many treats!
I had a friend (fairly untactfully I thought) comment that they don't do anything, but I don't know if that's true? Compared to many non-dog/cat pets I think they do loads:

• Clean themselves
  • Climb
  • Web their enclosures
  • Rearrange stuff
  • Burrow/excavate, sometimes to a very intricate extent
  • Stalk and then exterminate prey, sometimes doing happy dances afterwards
  • Create sperm webs (if mature male)
  • Moult!
It's a lot more than my kids' guinea pigs. What I think is more accurate is they don't do much from moment to moment - you have to be patient, but that patience is rewarded with a range of fascinating and cool behaviour.