It's been a year!

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
I have had my spider for about a year! She is doing really well! She is quite chubby but ngl it's pretty cute. She is definitely starting to show more darker adult colors (species G. Pulchra) The big leaf I had in her cage is now about how big she is. She is pretty healthy she is drinking her water and eating her food! She has only refused food in premolt. I stopped using the site for awhile mainly because I only needed it for questions but now I'll just use it to show my tarantulas growth I don't think she takes being pet well she is pretty food aggressive im not sure how she would react to humans but maybe I'll save that for a question later on. Maybe I'll get tarantulas in the future I'd definitely post pictures more often if I did.(the majority of my family does not like spiders but my sister wants a snake so idk my dad has considered getting more just because they are not too expensive depending on species.) 20210310_115222.jpg

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You've chosen a good one to start off with. And congrats on resisting the urge to get more. Is it a confirmed female or are you hoping for it ?

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
You must have godlike self control. I think I ended up with around 15 Ts over the course of my first year. But I also had a spare bedroom just filled with boxes and stuff that wasn’t being used, so I figured why not make it a T room! G pulchra is my favorite Grammostola in my collection so far. Great choice!

Table

Arachnosquire
I wish I had ur self control, I'm 11 mouths in and 21 Ts strong. Someone plz help XD

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I wish I had ur self control, I'm 11 mouths in and 21 Ts strong. Someone plz help XD
I feel you. ALL my extra money goes towards Ts, new tools to help with keeping such as a drill, soldering iron, etc., or towards enclosures and decor, new shelving, anything having to do with it. I even created a taxidermy kit for myself as I lost my first T and preserved her. There’s always some new subsection to get into with this hobby. And the Ts themselves of course. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to save money again in my life, but I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
SAME, realized I had some cash laying around, spends it all on uncutt acrylic for enclosures o_O
I have so been wanting to get into building my own! I love diy projects. I just love all of the other parts of this hobby aside from just the T keeping. Although that’s the best part, there’s so much more you can do! I love decorating my enclosures too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had my spider for about a year! She is doing really well! She is quite chubby but ngl it's pretty cute. She is definitely starting to show more darker adult colors (species G. Pulchra) The big leaf I had in her cage is now about how big she is. She is pretty healthy she is drinking her water and eating her food! She has only refused food in premolt. I stopped using the site for awhile mainly because I only needed it for questions but now I'll just use it to show my tarantulas growth I don't think she takes being pet well she is pretty food aggressive im not sure how she would react to humans but maybe I'll save that for a question later on. Maybe I'll get tarantulas in the future I'd definitely post pictures more often if I did.(the majority of my family does not like spiders but my sister wants a snake so idk my dad has considered getting more just because they are not too expensive depending on species.) View attachment 384037
Nice T, you'll be dead before it's an adult.

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
You've chosen a good one to start off with. And congrats on resisting the urge to get more. Is it a confirmed female or are you hoping for it ?
I'm not quite sure yet but to me it looks female I can't quite tell but maybe in the next few molts I'll be able to tell more the T's pedipalps do not look like boxing gloves at all so I am just guessing but the T's name is baby and I feel like that could be either way so that is the T's name for now plus as it says I think it'd be funny for when it's an adult because the adults are so big lol. I tried looking at the T's molts and when the T goes on the walls but it's really hard to tell maybe the next time it goes on the wall I'll take a picture and ask what people think.

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
You must have godlike self control. I think I ended up with around 15 Ts over the course of my first year. But I also had a spare bedroom just filled with boxes and stuff that wasn’t being used, so I figured why not make it a T room! G pulchra is my favorite Grammostola in my collection so far. Great choice!
Oh I have no self control I really want more!! I caught a jumping spider for a little while but it would not eat so I put it back outside and I have even gotten one of my siblings to ask for one for there birthday my dad does want more but my mom does not like spiders I do have an extra cage and I badly want to put a Arizona blonde or a Mexican red knee in their I technically have enough to buy a Mexican red knee sling but am unsure whether or not I'll get in trouble I might hide it lol. I have enough food for it too.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh I have no self control I really want more!! I caught a jumping spider for a little while but it would not eat so I put it back outside and I have even gotten one of my siblings to ask for one for there birthday my dad does want more but my mom does not like spiders I do have an extra cage and I badly want to put a Arizona blonde or a Mexican red knee in their I technically have enough to buy a Mexican red knee sling but am unsure whether or not I'll get in trouble I might hide it lol. I have enough food for it too.
Do not buy in secret. Bad idea. If your mother has agreed for the pulchra, wait some more time before asking for another. Do not be pushy. Patience, and eventually the opportunity will arise.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Do not buy in secret. Bad idea. If your mother has agreed for the pulchra, wait some more time before asking for another. Do not be pushy. Patience, and eventually the opportunity will arise.
I agree. If you hide it and she finds it, that may ruin your chances for eventually being allowed to get another. It’s a much better idea to ask, and if she says no, wait a bit and ask again. Once she maybe sees that they aren’t threatening and that you’re actually serious, she may allow you another more easily. A lot of young people have fleeting interests. If not, when you’re moved out and on your own, you can get as many as you want as long as you can care for them!

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
I agree. If you hide it and she finds it, that may ruin your chances for eventually being allowed to get another. It’s a much better idea to ask, and if she says no, wait a bit and ask again. Once she maybe sees that they aren’t threatening and that you’re actually serious, she may allow you another more easily. A lot of young people have fleeting interests. If not, when you’re moved out and on your own, you can get as many as you want as long as you can care for them!
Yea except she does not go in my room because of the spider. But yea plus I wanna spend my money on other things like pop figures lol. I would love to have another spider but we might get a snake soon which does sound cool and it will help me with my boredom.

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
I think I might have an opportunity for when my brother moves out or we move into a bigger house with more space plus (the more space the more spiders I can get!) My siblings have asked for their own spider but I honestly think they were just trying to copy me lol they often copy me with stuff like that but I do appreciate their bravery. I am pretty impatient but once I'm focused on something I want I will get it eventually it took years for me to get just one so we will see how this goes lol.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I feel you. ALL my extra money goes towards Ts, new tools to help with keeping such as a drill, soldering iron, etc., or towards enclosures and decor, new shelving, anything having to do with it. I even created a taxidermy kit for myself as I lost my first T and preserved her. There’s always some new subsection to get into with this hobby. And the Ts themselves of course. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to save money again in my life, but I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way.
You just figured out you won’t be able to save any money again? ;)

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I'm not quite sure yet but to me it looks female I can't quite tell but maybe in the next few molts I'll be able to tell more the T's pedipalps do not look like boxing gloves at all so I am just guessing but the T's name is baby and I feel like that could be either way so that is the T's name for now plus as it says I think it'd be funny for when it's an adult because the adults are so big lol. I tried looking at the T's molts and when the T goes on the walls but it's really hard to tell maybe the next time it goes on the wall I'll take a picture and ask what people think.
The T won’t have boxing gloves or hook out until and unless it’s a mature male. They typically don’t show sexual dimorphism until maturity save for a few species. You’ve got a few years to go on that one. You’ll probably be able to sex the molt with the naked eye when it’s around 3” with a trained eye, although the smaller they are the harder it is.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
"I don't think she takes being pet well she is pretty food aggressive im not sure how she would react to humans but maybe I'll save that for a question later on"

This line in your opening post is slightly concerning.
Tarantulas do not to be "petted".
They are very much a hands off animal.