It's been a while and I wanted you all to see our newest family member!

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Okay, so we went to get crickets from a pet store close to where my parents lived and Happened to see spiderlings and just so happened to see that they actually had some in (usually we just see empty containers). I have included a picture of both the spiderling in his/her new enclosure (at least for now while I'm doing more research), and a picture of what the sling came in. It was so wet in the original container that I was worried it may have affected the sling, but I'm hoping nothing serious. She/he also seems like they have a defective leg or two, but I'm hoping that with a molt, that will be fixed.

The back of the container says he/she (we named it Frankie) is a Brachypelma Vagans, which I know is hard to confirm by sight while the sling is so young. If any of you recognize the type of sling Frankie is, let me know! Otherwise I'm just going to be doing research into slings and what I can do to keep Frankie as safe and healthy as possible. Currently, the substrate is bone dry (peat moss), and I cut the head off of a small meal worm and left the body in there in case Frankie gets hungry. Of course, I will be doing SO much research into this particular spider breed and making certain that all care requirements are met. If you have any comments or helpful advice, please let me know!

Frankie everyone! :happy:

Attachments

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Also, I know the pic quality isn't spectacular, I can take more pictures but just used the best one I got for now :)

Edit: Also, as a rule, my wife and I don't like purchasing spiders from pet stores, but we figure if they are slings, they at least most likely were not imported from the wild

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's impossible to identify a spider when it's a sling. However, if it is indeed a B. vagans, then you'll know very soon. They grow quite quickly and show adult coloration at around 1". Luckily, most slings are kept generally the same. You've got room for a water dish in there, so I'd suggest offering one. A water bottle cap will work fine. Keep it damp (not wet!) in there until it grows a bit. At about the 1"-2" mark, ask us to identify it again.

Also, it's not a breed of spider, it's a species ;) Dogs have breeds, spiders have species. Huge, huge difference.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
It's impossible to identify a spider when it's a sling. However, if it is indeed a B. vagans, then you'll know very soon. They grow quite quickly and show adult coloration at around 1". Luckily, most slings are kept generally the same. You've got room for a water dish in there, so I'd suggest offering one. A water bottle cap will work fine. Keep it damp (not wet!) in there until it grows a bit. At about the 1"-2" mark, ask us to identify it again.

Also, it's not a breed of spider, it's a species ;) Dogs have breeds, spiders have species. Huge, huge difference.

Okay great! Thanks! I will put a water bottle cap in and keep an eye out on the moisture levels. I knew it wasn't breed, but I didn't think it was genus either and just used a general word. Haha. (Genus of course being the specific type of t -- etc.)

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Water dish???.Drip water on the fake plant???
They can go without food for awhile.H2O, no.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Okay great! Thanks! I will put a water bottle cap in and keep an eye out on the moisture levels. I knew it wasn't breed, but I didn't think it was genus either and just used a general word. Haha. (Genus of course being the specific type of t -- etc.)
The genus would be Brachypelma, and the species would be Brachypelma vagans. There are (usually) several species in each genus. Brachypelma vagans, Brachypelma albopilosum, Brachypelma emilia, Brachypelma smithi, etc.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Also, I only count four air holes in the cup. Do you have more on the lid? You can't have too many air holes, but you can certainly have too few. "Too many" air holes just means that you'll need to dampen the substrate more often, that's all.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Mack: I just corrected that problem! Put a water bottle cap in, filled with water, but not to the top, didn't want TOO much water in the dish in case she's (edit: or he) still a little small.

EulersK: Thank you for the clarification! As far as air holes go, there are only a few in the sides, but I poked about a million (okay, 20 or 30) holes into the lid to be sure there were plenty. I think I'll poke more in the sides just to be safe though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Mack: I just corrected that problem! Put a water bottle cap in, filled with water, but not to the top, didn't want TOO much water in the dish in case she's (edit: or he) still a little small.

EulersK: Thank you for the clarification! As far as air holes go, there are only a few in the sides, but I poked about a million (okay, 20 or 30) holes into the lid to be sure there were plenty. I think I'll poke more in the sides just to be safe though.
Sounds like you have enough ventilation, then :) Enjoy your eight legged buddy!

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Sounds like you have enough ventilation, then :) Enjoy your eight legged buddy!
Thank you very much! You guys always make me feel better about what I'm doing with my Ts. I will post an update soon to let you all know how Frankie is doing! :cat:

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Don't worry about the sling being too small for a water dish, slings can float on water, so drownings are non existent.

It came in a Petco sling hut. I hate these things. There's a thread on here called Petco fails in regards to them. There's no taking it back now, but keep in mind that one of the biggest issues with them have been mislabeling. It might be listed as a Brachypelma vagans (Mexican red rump) but there's no guarantee that's what you will end up with.

I would steer away from buying slings from Petco again.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Don't worry about the sling being too small for a water dish, slings can float on water, so drownings are non existent.

It came in a Petco sling hut. I hate these things. There's a thread on here called Petco fails in regards to them. There's no taking it back now, but keep in mind that one of the biggest issues with them have been mislabeling. It might be listed as a Brachypelma vagans (Mexican red rump) but there's no guarantee that's what you will end up with.

I would steer away from buying slings from Petco again.
That is great to know about slings! I feel much more at ease about the water dish.

I definitely have to agree with how horrible the sling hut is. There was a thick sponge at the bottom soaked in water and our little sling was weak and not completely sitting right (kind of on its side). We were worried it wasn't even going to make the drive home! I definitely normally would not ever buy an animal from a Petco/Petsmart/etc, but it was a little bit of a spontaneous event and I at least thought there was a good chance the sling itself was born in captivity.

Rest assured, we won't be making a habit of purchasing slings from pet stores. That said, the possible mislabel is actually really exciting to me. Brachypelma vagans sound amazing from everything I've read, but there's mystery! It could be a totally different tarantula! Sure, it could end up being a G Rosea, but even so, I would be fine with that. It could also be a sling of some species I haven't researched enough of, which would be a great learning experience! If the tarantula ended up being something beyond my current skill level, I could probably just work out some kind of deal on the forum. So I am optimistic :astonished:

--Hopefully the above statement doesn't sound ignorant (as it's not meant to be) :)

We are looking into going to a reptile expo in June or July, and that will be where all purchases (other than on the forum!) from here out will be made ;)

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
That said, the possible mislabel is actually really exciting to me. Brachypelma vagans sound amazing from everything I've read, but there's mystery!
"Now hold on, Lois! A Brachy's a Brachy, but the Mystery Box could be anything! It could even be a Brachy!"

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
This is my wife and I's third T, so we aren't overly picky :D Though we have had our sights on G pulchripes and C cyaneopubescens for a while now :happy:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Nixphat The two species you mentioned in post #15 are good choices.

Beware, though, that C. cyaneopubescens can be skittish and more flighty than other species like G. pulchripes. Not that they are incapable of bolting, but you get the point. Once they set up their heavily webbed home they are more likely to dart into their retreat than just running wildly anywhere, but nevertheless be aware of their (overall) nature.

Welcome to the wonderful (addiction) world of Invertebrate keeping.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
@Nixphat The two species you mentioned in post #15 are good choices.

Beware, though, that C. cyaneopubescens can be skittish and more flighty than other species like G. pulchripes. Not that they are incapable of bolting, but you get the point. Once they set up their heavily webbed home they are more likely to dart into their retreat than just running wildly anywhere, but nevertheless be aware of their (overall) nature.

Welcome to the wonderful (addiction) world of Invertebrate keeping.
Thank you! That is good to know. I think a C. cyaneopubescens sounds like it would probably be a good 'next step' tarantula. Nothing too crazy, but tends to be a little faster and keep me on my toes :happy: I've really enjoyed terrestrial tarantulas, but at some point I want to try moving on to an arboreal as well. I've of course looked into C.(or Y? definitely not A. anymore :rofl:) versicolor or metallica (which metallica is A. or did that change too? I am a little behind on the name changes, haha), but I haven't decided anything just yet

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you! That is good to know. I think a C. cyaneopubescens sounds like it would probably be a good 'next step' tarantula. Nothing too crazy, but tends to be a little faster and keep me on my toes :happy: I've really enjoyed terrestrial tarantulas, but at some point I want to try moving on to an arboreal as well. I've of course looked into C.(or Y? definitely not A. anymore :rofl:) versicolor or metallica (which metallica is A. or did that change too? I am a little behind on the name changes, haha), but I haven't decided anything just yet
Bit more advanced without any severely potent venom. Good thinking, friend. ;)

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
Okay, so we went to get crickets from a pet store close to where my parents lived and Happened to see spiderlings and just so happened to see that they actually had some in (usually we just see empty containers). I have included a picture of both the spiderling in his/her new enclosure (at least for now while I'm doing more research), and a picture of what the sling came in. It was so wet in the original container that I was worried it may have affected the sling, but I'm hoping nothing serious. She/he also seems like they have a defective leg or two, but I'm hoping that with a molt, that will be fixed.

The back of the container says he/she (we named it Frankie) is a Brachypelma Vagans, which I know is hard to confirm by sight while the sling is so young. If any of you recognize the type of sling Frankie is, let me know! Otherwise I'm just going to be doing research into slings and what I can do to keep Frankie as safe and healthy as possible. Currently, the substrate is bone dry (peat moss), and I cut the head off of a small meal worm and left the body in there in case Frankie gets hungry. Of course, I will be doing SO much research into this particular spider breed and making certain that all care requirements are met. If you have any comments or helpful advice, please let me know!

Frankie everyone! :happy:
I see Zelda