It's been a while and I wanted you all to see our newest family member!

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
I see Zelda
Haha, yes! I just recently fixed my old Super Nintendo and have been playing it a lot lately :D Everything still works great, except Super Punch Out... And Zelda still works perfect, buuut the battery dried out a long time ago, so you can play, but when you turn off the game, your save file goes with it :eek:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
And Zelda still works perfect, buuut the battery dried out a long time ago, so you can play, but when you turn off the game, your save file goes with it :eek:
You should try an emulator.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Haha, yes! I just recently fixed my old Super Nintendo and have been playing it a lot lately :D Everything still works great, except Super Punch Out... And Zelda still works perfect, buuut the battery dried out a long time ago, so you can play, but when you turn off the game, your save file goes with it :eek:
Get a bit and swap out the battery in the Zelda game. They sell those online for cheap. I had to do that when I got them out of storage after the move.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
You should try an emulator.
I actually have a Raspberry Pi, which for the Super Nintendo has over 750 games alone.. But nothing beats the real thing :)

Get a bit and swap out the battery in the Zelda game. They sell those online for cheap. I had to do that when I got them out of storage after the move.
That's a good idea! I had to melt the tip of a pen to unscrew the security screws on the bottom of the SNES, took two pens, but I got it open! Except I still haven't screwed them back in. Haha

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I actually have a Raspberry Pi, which for the Super Nintendo has over 750 games alone.. But nothing beats the real thing :)

That's a good idea! I had to melt the tip of a pen to unscrew the security screws on the bottom of the SNES, took two pens, but I got it open! Except I still haven't screwed them back in. Haha
They sell those bits for a few bucks. You could replace they battery for less than 10 dollars.

I got one in my electronic repair kit which I use for fixing broken phone/tablet screens and other projects.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Speaking of nothing, while I have you guys here.. Just a couple more questions. As this is my first sling, and only my third tarantula, I may be a little spastic with making sure I have everything right. Haha. So the sling next to the one we have molted, I assume they were from the same batch, but you really never know and not all slings molt at the same time... but just as reference. On the first night that we got her, I had put in a small meal worm. The next morning the meal worm seems to be eaten (unless she cleverly hid it), and around where it was she pooped. Haha. Since then, she hasn't eaten. I've been trying every two days or so just to be sure, but maybe she is still full from the first? I just don't want to do something dumb and lose her!

I'm attaching a few more pictures I took this morning. She was on top of her cup/hide before I opened the lid, but there was a meal worm I needed to remove from last night, so I grabbed a few pics while it was open. She ran and hid in her hide, so I would assume that is at least a good sign :) I just want to make sure it looks like there's enough moisture, but not too much, that she has enough space, etc etc.

Also I'm attaching pictures of her next enclosure that I have pre-setup (because I'm a noob with three Ts and need something to distract me from obsessing over every little thing). So I thought it could be good to get input before I ever even put her (it) in there. Few things to note, I am aware that if the deli cup isn't clear, you have to be on your toes more in case the spider is right at the top when you open. The dirt looks a little wet still because it's still drying out. The white band is a new shelter, a shot glass solo cup that I cut a piece of the bottom off of, filled with dirt, and totally covered. I stuck my finger in to make sure there was a start to the hide that can be later dug out if she so desires. The bottle cap is dirty, but won't be the one I'm using when I move her, it's just there so I have an impression in the dirt that can easily hold the water cap in place.

Again, these are questions are mostly from me being a noob, but I'm so excited to see how this sling turns out and I don't want to lose her (it) because I'm not doing something right. Thanks again for the help! :cat:

Attachments

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
They sell those bits for a few bucks. You could replace they battery for less than 10 dollars.

I got one in my electronic repair kit which I use for fixing broken phone/tablet screens and other projects.
Okay great! That's a good idea, I thought about it, but never looked into getting the tool because I didn't think it'd be very easy to find. I will have to do that, the Zelda for the SNES is one of my favorites, if not my favorite Zelda. The newest Zelda has actually been really spectacular too, it's given A Link to the Past a good run for its money! Haha

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Speaking of nothing, while I have you guys here.. Just a couple more questions. As this is my first sling, and only my third tarantula, I may be a little spastic with making sure I have everything right. Haha. So the sling next to the one we have molted, I assume they were from the same batch, but you really never know and not all slings molt at the same time... but just as reference. On the first night that we got her, I had put in a small meal worm. The next morning the meal worm seems to be eaten (unless she cleverly hid it), and around where it was she pooped. Haha. Since then, she hasn't eaten. I've been trying every two days or so just to be sure, but maybe she is still full from the first? I just don't want to do something dumb and lose her!

I'm attaching a few more pictures I took this morning. She was on top of her cup/hide before I opened the lid, but there was a meal worm I needed to remove from last night, so I grabbed a few pics while it was open. She ran and hid in her hide, so I would assume that is at least a good sign :) I just want to make sure it looks like there's enough moisture, but not too much, that she has enough space, etc etc.

Also I'm attaching pictures of her next enclosure that I have pre-setup (because I'm a noob with three Ts and need something to distract me from obsessing over every little thing). So I thought it could be good to get input before I ever even put her (it) in there. Few things to note, I am aware that if the deli cup isn't clear, you have to be on your toes more in case the spider is right at the top when you open. The dirt looks a little wet still because it's still drying out. The white band is a new shelter, a shot glass solo cup that I cut a piece of the bottom off of, filled with dirt, and totally covered. I stuck my finger in to make sure there was a start to the hide that can be later dug out if she so desires. The bottle cap is dirty, but won't be the one I'm using when I move her, it's just there so I have an impression in the dirt that can easily hold the water cap in place.

Again, these are questions are mostly from me being a noob, but I'm so excited to see how this sling turns out and I don't want to lose her (it) because I'm not doing something right. Thanks again for the help! :cat:
They can be for the same batch (sack mates) and molt at way different times. I have four G.pulchripes slings from the same sack and one of them is always way behind the others on molting.

The enclosures look good. I like to give them more head room (Distance between the substrate and the lid) as slings. A lot of my slings are flighty till they get their homes set up and the extra head room gives me more time to react.

Good luck.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
They can be for the same batch (sack mates) and molt at way different times. I have four G.pulchripes slings from the same sack and one of them is always way behind the others on molting.

The enclosures look good. I like to give them more head room (Distance between the substrate and the lid) as slings. A lot of my slings are flighty till they get their homes set up and the extra head room gives me more time to react.

Good luck.
Yeah, I had read they can molt at different rates, so I wasn't sure if the lack of eating was pointing towards a molt or maybe the sling is just still full. But okay, great! That is very good to know. I just want to make sure I'm still doing things right. Haha

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Small upadate:

Last night around 10 or 11 I noticed Frankie upside down under her leaf. She was still off the ground, kind of hanging on the leaf. I checked again at 1 am and Frankie was totally on her/his/its back, legs all splayed out like the most classic tarantula molt I've ever seen. Woke up this morning and saw a nice molt and a fresh new Frankie! First tarantula to molt in our care, and a sling no less! So you can imagine how excited I have been today :D

It's a little hard to see in there with the lid on, but I'm waiting a day before I open up the container to get the old exo :happy:

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Small upadate:

Last night around 10 or 11 I noticed Frankie upside down under her leaf. She was still off the ground, kind of hanging on the leaf. I checked again at 1 am and Frankie was totally on her/his/its back, legs all splayed out like the most classic tarantula molt I've ever seen. Woke up this morning and saw a nice molt and a fresh new Frankie! First tarantula to molt in our care, and a sling no less! So you can imagine how excited I have been today :D

It's a little hard to see in there with the lid on, but I'm waiting a day before I open up the container to get the old exo :happy:
Congratulations. It was exciting for me to see my GBB molt for the 1st time. I'd had several ting slings molt but never saw it.The GBB took a few hours and was pretty neat to watch.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Congratulations. It was exciting for me to see my GBB molt for the 1st time. I'd had several ting slings molt but never saw it.The GBB took a few hours and was pretty neat to watch.
I wanted to stay up but I didn't want to bother it in the process. It's funny how slings look when they do... everything. Like the big guys but on a super small scale. Haha

Edit: I couldn't resist

Attachments

Last edited:

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
I figured instead of creating a new thread I would just post in this one. Good news everyone! Frankie molted a second time and I rehoused. Haven't seen her/it much yet, she sealed off her burrow before molting and I assume she'll be out in a few days when she hardens up, but she was HUGE from what I saw! Way larger proportionately speaking than what I expected, from what it looked, she could've grown 1.5 to 2 times the size she was before.

In other news, my wife and I just ordered a C versicolor and a C cyaneopubescens! We are very excited, and thankfully this will quell my need to get more tarantulas (at least for now! :D). Both are slings, fingers crossed at least one (if not two or all three :angelic:) of these slings will turn out to be female, though I can work with a male as well. Ha

I'll post pictures when Frankie emerges and new Ts should be here next Tuesday :astonished:

aphono

Arachnobaron
Congrats!

and thankfully this will quell my need to get more tarantulas (at least for now! :D).
Hah... got my first 4 back in Feb/March. GBB, A. eutylenum, G. pulchripes and a juvenile A. chalcodes. At that time I was pretty sure those would be enough to last me for a good while. A few chuckled at this comment....

As of this moment.. let me count... yep 16! :eek:

Great picks, by the way. the GBB and versicolor are good introductions to skittish/extremely fast and different life styles. Just in case, strongly resist the temptation to let them crawl on you.. not a good idea in the first place but also they are so fast they get out of sight all too easily.

I never tried to handle mine or even try letting them walk out onto me. I needed to rehouse a I. mira.. luckily I had read up and seen rehousing videos. The other species rehoused with little or no problems but that I. mira... it RAN laps around the large tub.. took a good bit of effort to convince it to head into its new home. Was impressed by how seriously fast it was.. had I tried to rehouse it on a table or floor, it would have been gone. Easily.

The C. versicolor wanted to walk in circles around outside the new home.. got a little tricky herding it into new home.

For another GBB(yep, got two more), the old enclosure was small enough to sit in the new one so I just took off the lid, put it in there and closed until it came out on its own. That was the least stressful lol

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Congrats!

Hah... got my first 4 back in Feb/March. GBB, A. eutylenum, G. pulchripes and a juvenile A. chalcodes. At that time I was pretty sure those would be enough to last me for a good while. A few chuckled at this comment....

As of this moment.. let me count... yep 16! :eek:

Great picks, by the way. the GBB and versicolor are good introductions to skittish/extremely fast and different life styles. Just in case, strongly resist the temptation to let them crawl on you.. not a good idea in the first place but also they are so fast they get out of sight all too easily.

I never tried to handle mine or even try letting them walk out onto me. I needed to rehouse a I. mira.. luckily I had read up and seen rehousing videos. The other species rehoused with little or no problems but that I. mira... it RAN laps around the large tub.. took a good bit of effort to convince it to head into its new home. Was impressed by how seriously fast it was.. had I tried to rehouse it on a table or floor, it would have been gone. Easily.

The C. versicolor wanted to walk in circles around outside the new home.. got a little tricky herding it into new home.

For another GBB(yep, got two more), the old enclosure was small enough to sit in the new one so I just took off the lid, put it in there and closed until it came out on its own. That was the least stressful lol
Haha, yes, I have come to terms with the fact that I will be getting many more :D G pulchra and many more are already piling on a list I have been keeping on Ts I'd be interested in keeping at some point. I thought the GBB and versicolor would be great experience both into arboreal and faster/slightly more skittish tarantulas. Our two G porteri have me so spoiled and lax with cage maintenance (and easiest transfers to a new tank ever). I really don't have to worry much, especially now that they're both in their own tanks (that said, of course I am still cautious to the unknown, unpredictable behaviors they tend to exhibit).

As far as handling goes, if I ever needed to (a T ran up my arm before I could react), then I would handle it back into its enclosure. Otherwise, I'm too scared to be responsible for losing my T by something as silly as me wanting to let it crawl on my hands for fun.. Though, if one ever volunteered itself onto my hand with no provocation from me at all, I wouldn't object as long as it was safe :rolleyes:

I'm excited. The webbing will be great to see, we don't have any good webbers yet. The C versicolor's enclosure is actually the combination of a Petco sling hut upside down secured over a smaller cup that some mealworms came in. I put something solid to climb on, a fake plant that goes top to bottom and put plenty of ventilation on the sides. The mealworm cup on the bottom acts as both a cap and a holder for the substrate and water dish. We found this really great container at Walmart for the GBB.. actually, since I have time I'll just attach pictures instead of trying to describe them further :rofl:

I apologize in advance for the potato pic quality.. My only camera available at the moment... :p

Attachments

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Just posting updates here as to not bog down the place with a new thread, but here are some updates!

Frankie has finally emerged after what felt like forever :astonished: She was a hole with legs for a week after her initial sighting, but after a couple meal worms she has gained courage and has been out all day today. Hooray :D

We received our two new Ts June 13th (2017)

Gabby is our C cyaneopubescens (GBB), she is between 1" and 1.5" (roughly 2.5 and 4 cm). She is great, doing awesome webbing so far, although she seems to like hanging out at the top of her enclosure. I didn't realize until after that there are perfect anchor points for her on the lid and I'm waiting to see if she settles in elsewhere over time.. as this is her 3rd or 4th spot she's decided to make a web tube at so far :rolleyes:

Grace is our C versicolor, she is about 3/4" (2 cm). She seems to be settling in pretty well, I've seen the start of a web tube up at the top and she has found a number of different paths she likes to take to traverse her enclosure. She seems to be doing well so as well and I'm thinking things are going pretty good starting off.

We've named all of our slings either gender neutral names or just female names until otherwise noted. We figure we will get attached to them and hope for females, and work out a loan if any of them turn out to be male :embarrassed:

Only thing is that neither of them have eaten so far. I'm attributing it to them still settling in and am not worried yet. Gabby has run across her water dish, so I'm sure she knows where it is. She is also pretty plump and I'm thinking there could possibly be signs of premolt as I read that they usually don't plump up as much as other slings, but I'm new and could easily be wrong ;) It could also be the fact that their feeders may have changed, so they may need to get used to that as well. I caught Grace down at the bottom of her enclosure taking a nice big drink from her water dish, so I don't see any reason to worry. I'm just going to try again in a few days and see what happens :cool:

Attached are pictures, my best camera is a few year old iPad mini, so the quality is so so (plus some mad sunlight glare :rofl:). The order goes:
Picture 1 & 2: Frankie
Pictures 3 & 4: Gabby
Pictures 5 & 6: Grace
Picture 7: Claire
Picture 8: Chloe

Thanks for reading this extremely winded, not so interesting update :D

Attachments