It's a boy!

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So my largest B. jacksoni finally went and molted while I was on vacation into what I believe to be 5th instar -- and he's definitely male!

I think I heard somewhere that males mature at 5th, but I can't remember . . . do they show the bulbous pedipalps only once they've matured?

Size comparison:

I checked out some molts under the scope at work, and based on pectine count, I'm guessing I've got at least one female among the other four (though I'd rather have one male and four females! :rolleyes:).

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Mantids,

You cannot sex B.jacksoni by pectinecount, it is 18-24 for both sexes. You have a nice male there! Check out the chela on this guy :eek:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have a gorgous son!{D
what a lovely scorpion!
Thanks! :D These scorps are so beautiful -- I can't wait to start breeding them.

Hi Mantids,

You cannot sex B.jacksoni by pectinecount, it is 18-24 for both sexes. You have a nice male there! Check out the chela on this guy :eek:
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to wait and see then. :) I remember that four of the molts I checked out had 21 teeth and the fifth had only 19, so at the time I thought that might have been significant.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpions only display sexual dimorphisms upon reaching adulthood. Nice looking male, BTW.