It's a boy! What now?

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I have had my P. Irminia since it was 3/4 of an inch long and today it finally came out of it's den... Only to find out he is a boy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extatic that I get to see him all grown up as he was my very first T. But I am also so very sad that he won't live as long as I would have liked him to.

I plan to give him the best life he could ask for in captivity, thus I ask you, arachnoboards, how can I do this? How long do males of this species live in general? This is his first molt that he is displaying full male coloration (pretty obvious on p. Irminia considering their sexual dimorphism). How much longer do I have with him and what are my options as far as sending him off to breed?

Any advice welcome,

Thank you! 20160804_213958.jpg

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Basically you can trade, sell, or do a breeding loan. A trade is what I would go with, check the classifieds for people looking for a MM P. irminia. Many times you can get multiple different species in a trade. Selling is just what it sounds like lol, he could probably go for around 40-50 give or take. A breeding loan basically means that you find someone who needs a MM P. irminia because they have a female, and you loan your male to them for a week or so. Then the other person gives you the male back and if they get a sac, they give you half the slings. Many people have been cheated and once they sent off their males, they never heard back again. I'd go with a trade, but it's up to you.

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
Basically you can trade, sell, or do a breeding loan. A trade is what I would go with, check the classifieds for people looking for a MM P. irminia. Many times you can get multiple different species in a trade. Selling is just what it sounds like lol, he could probably go for around 40-50 give or take. A breeding loan basically means that you find someone who needs a MM P. irminia because they have a female, and you loan your male to them for a week or so. Then the other person gives you the male back and if they get a sac, they give you half the slings. Many people have been cheated and once they sent off their males, they never heard back again. I'd go with a trade, but it's up to you.
Thanks for the advice, I'm kinda really emotionally attached to this T so I don't think id sell him, would you post about breeding loans here? Or do you recommend a certain site?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the advice, I'm kinda really emotionally attached to this T so I don't think id sell him, would you post about breeding loans here? Or do you recommend a certain site?
Arachnoboards is the best site IMO, check the "Inverstonals" section.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Appreciate it! If you happen to know, what is their life span? And how many times can I send him off to breed?
Hm, lifespan for this species as a MM is probably less than a year. Send him off as many times as people will take him.:D But you should state his molt date and how "fresh" he is. I forgot to mention that you can get your own female to pair them yourself too.

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
Hm, lifespan for this species as a MM is probably less than a year. Send him off as many times as people will take him.:D But you should state his molt date and how "fresh" he is. I forgot to mention that you can get your own female to pair them yourself too.
Had no idea freshness was a factor in all of this! I'm guessing that the fresher the better yes?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Had no idea freshness was a factor in all of this! I'm guessing that the fresher the better yes?
Yes, the fresher the better. Many say that the fresher a MM t is, the me fertile it is. Many won't take a MM past 4 months matured. Personally, I say as long as the t is still making sperm webs, it's fertile. It's still good to list how long it has been mature for.

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
Yes, the fresher the better. Many say that the fresher a MM t is, the me fertile it is. Many won't take a MM past 4 months matured. Personally, I say as long as the t is still making sperm webs, it's fertile. It's still good to list how long it has been mature for.
Sperm webs? That's a new term! Pardon my ignorance, but what are those/what do they look like?

cold blood

Staff member
Evidence of a sperm web would be thick lines (or a thick line) of webbing. They kinda stand out when you know what you're looking at.

You can actually see several in louise's vid.

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
Thank you all! But I also really want to know a solid answer on how long he has to live now.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I have raised at least 6 irminia males from sling to maturity and IME they tend to live longer when they haven't been bred. Clinging to life waiting to mate. A mated male irminia in my care lasts probably around 5-7 months. The ones I didn't mate lasted a few months longer.

rasulsimakshah

Arachnosquire
IMO breeding him at least once ensures that he's fulfilled his purpose in life. I'll usually do a breeding loan, then let him live out the rest of his days.