itchy palm

mercury904

Arachnopeon
im not sure if im allergic to something or maybe just a coinsidence coz i have this parahybana that just molted i scanned the molt to identify its gender,its still a bit slimmy when i held it for an inspection,then after a few minutes my fingers went itchy as if i had caterpillar's hair :confused: or maybe the molt's hair went to my palm

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can pick up urticating hair from a molt. Seems like you have a bad reaction to the bristles, at least from Lasiodora parahybana.

mercury904

Arachnopeon
You can pick up urticating hair from a molt. Seems like you have a bad reaction to the bristles, at least from Lasiodora parahybana.
oh! yeah it became milder now,what i can feel now are the mild bruises that was made after me scratching my palm :embarrassed:

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeap you've definitely come into contact with some U-hairs! Congratulations, it probably won't be your last ;D

webbedone

Arachnobaron
better get used to it, i found out the hard way! Zinc Oxide helps me calm the itch down, other than that any other anti itch should do just fine!

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm lucky I haven't gotten haired yet.. but its coming for me eventually. Brachys ftw!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm lucky I haven't gotten haired yet.. but its coming for me eventually. Brachys ftw!
you are very lucky if your Brachypelma spp. have yet to hair you. i've had all of mine try it at least once, and many are repeat offenders. stupid kicky NW T's.... :wall:

i've heard parahybana hairs are some of the worst. thankfully, mine is not yet to the size where it can nail me really good with a nice kicking like my brachys, but i'm sure thats all in good time, yeah?

sorry OP, i haven't found any remedy to help you get through it yet. the hot/cold water method seemed promising, but did not work on me.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you are very lucky if your Brachypelma spp. have yet to hair you. i've had all of mine try it at least once, and many are repeat offenders. stupid kicky NW T's.... :wall:

i've heard parahybana hairs are some of the worst. thankfully, mine is not yet to the size where it can nail me really good with a nice kicking like my brachys, but i'm sure thats all in good time, yeah?

sorry OP, i haven't found any remedy to help you get through it yet. the hot/cold water method seemed promising, but did not work on me.
Lol yeah i'm getting half decently lucky :) Did I mention that I do have an LP as well? Woo NW Hairkickers!

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've read on here that putting your hand in/under really hot water helps.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a curly hair and I've never been haired! I've seen it do some wimpy attemps (not like it was actualy trying) but thats about it. But My GBB sling is already kicking... Oh boy...

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
just a suggestion, Do not use hot water use cold. Hot water opens your pores allows the hairs to do more damage. A insulation trick my dad taught me.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I first started to really get into T's , I ended up with several of the Brachypelmas and all three of the more popular Lasiodoras (para,difficilis,klugi). I never had one issue of a reaction to the U-hairs.

At first I thought hah, I must be "immune" to the U-hairs, a few weeks after I started my collection, I started to notice itching after cage maintenance, or even feeding and watering.

Now , I cant even open the lid without breaking out. :(

I have read (sorry I cannot remember where) that the reactions do get worse over time, and its quite the opposite of what many think of "building an immunity".

Of course there are those rare few out there with bullet proof skin, unfortunately as I found out, New Worlds are Kryptonite :D

Last edited:

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just a suggestion, Do not use hot water use cold. Hot water opens your pores allows the hairs to do more damage. A insulation trick my dad taught me.
I work in a fiber glass factory and this is great method using cool water to shower with ,also a roll of tape handy to pull out fiber/hairs

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I would buy a box of disposable gloves. I was having issues from the hairs when I cleaned out cages, so I use them for all my cage maintenance (cleaning, etc, not feeding/watering) and my reactions have not gotten worse.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Even if hot water makes it worse, it's FEELS sooooo good!! I use big yellow kitchen gloves even when entering a container for maintenance. Somehow though I still get some on me...