Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Consciouselement

Arachnopeon
In January, I had picked up a rose hair, that was suppose to be juvenile, and also female. About a month ago, it went threw a molt. I noticed there wasn't any sign of it being a female. But I am not experienced, so i figured I wasn't looking right, even after the couple hour or so of research.
So flash forward to yesterday, before work. We witnessed this
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTQG2X0gSwC/?taken-by=consciouselement&hl=en
Sorry for the Instagram Link. From what I viewed online, this is it laying a sperm blanket..?
If that is the case, I would love for it to have the chance to full fill its life.
Where do I even go or start? I posted in the reddit /r/tarantulas and also on my instagram but no one has said anything. Thanks in advance if anyone decide to help me out here! I was extremely lucky to witness what we did, and would like to just repay this little one for his blessings.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
100% male. Good on you for being able to witness that, most people never get to see a tarantula loading their palps.

As for sending him off to be bred... I mean, you can post an ad here, but good luck. Many people in the hobby wouldn't take one of these slings for free. Given that you're able to buy adult females for around $20 at most pet shops, people aren't willing to buy a sling.

Consciouselement

Arachnopeon
100% male. Good on you for being able to witness that, most people never get to see a tarantula loading their palps.

As for sending him off to be bred... I mean, you can post an ad here, but good luck. Many people in the hobby wouldn't take one of these slings for free. Given that you're able to buy adult females for around $20 at most pet shops, people aren't willing to buy a sling.
who is not taking a free spider?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
who is not taking a free spider?
I'd literally pay you $5 to not give me a G. rosea/porteri sling :rofl: Laughably slow growth rates (hope for a MF in 15 years), extreme commonality, and a pet rock. No thank you.

Although this is just, like, my opinion, man. Maybe you can find someone to take your male, you won't know until you ask.

cold blood

Staff member
I noticed there wasn't any sign of it being a female
curious what signs you would be looking for...boobs?:D

An immature male is not generally distinguishable from a female...only once a male molts does dimorphism generally show (there are exceptions, but yours isn't one of these exceptions). Yours isn't just a male, its a mature male...and cool that you caught him making a sperm web, that's not an easy thing to catch them doing.

If you want to breed him, you could probably find a female locally on CL or in a pet store....just make sure they are the same species...several species are sold as rose hairs.

Consciouselement

Arachnopeon
curious what signs you would be looking for...boobs?:D

An immature male is not generally distinguishable from a female...only once a male molts does dimorphism generally show (there are exceptions, but yours isn't one of these exceptions). Yours isn't just a male, its a mature male...and cool that you caught him making a sperm web, that's not an easy thing to catch them doing.

If you want to breed him, you could probably find a female locally on CL or in a pet store....just make sure they are the same species...several species are sold as rose hairs.
Yes boobs, spiders have boobs.