It survived

user 666

Arachnobaron
About a month back I got the order from hell.

Out of an order of ten Ts, 3 were DOA, two molted in transit and lost seven legs between them, and another T died a few days after arrival. (As I said, the order from hell.)

Of the two molters, one died a week later. The other, an H sanguiniceps, just molted and regrew the four legs it lost.

It's late, and I've never managed to take a good photo of a T, so I will pass on the documentation.

But I still wanted to share the good news.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What do you expected from an order "from hell"... being served top notch only because you have the '666' on your username? :pompous:

:troll:

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's crazy the bad molts they can come back from, I have had 4 leggers or even 3 leggers make it, as long as they can get around and catch their meals they have an amazing ability to recover their missing legs !

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Geez, was this an international order or something? What did you and the seller put those spiders through?

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am very happy for you (and the survivor.) :cat:

I am sorry that you received such a crappy lot recently though. Ugh. I know it has sucked...

You do have one little fighter though. :angelic: Congrats on the successful molt, love!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Yikes. Sorry to hear that, and I'm glad at least some made it okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

user 666

Arachnobaron
Update:

A couple weeks after I started this thread, the H sanguiniceps survivor lost two of its legs. They were very thin and had just grown with last month's molt, tso it's not that big of a surprise.

Today I am happy to report that the T molted again. It's now back up to 8 legs. One of the legs is very thin, so it might lose the leg.

But all in all, the T is doing quite well.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Update:

A couple weeks after I started this thread, the H sanguiniceps survivor lost two of its legs. They were very thin and had just grown with last month's molt, tso it's not that big of a surprise.

Today I am happy to report that the T molted again. It's now back up to 8 legs. One of the legs is very thin, so it might lose the leg.

Yessss!!!! :D This is great news!!

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's nice when they're small because you get to see the progress quickly vs adults ugh 2 years to grow a leg back !

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Update:

It's always great to hear a bad situation as finally turned the corner

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
It fascinates me how these creatures can 're-grow' missing limbs. Where do these replacement limbs molt from??

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It fascinates me how these creatures can 're-grow' missing limbs. Where do these replacement limbs molt from??
The leg develops inside the carapace. Remember till the exoskeleton has hardened up it's soft and flexible. Once the molt occurs the new leg gets stretched out and it hardens. If the tarantula is a sling it'll get the whole leg back in one go. If it's a large adult it will often get a stubby leg the first molt and the full leg on the second molt since it only has so much room inside the carapace for the lost leg to grow.

The same is true of how the legs get longer and the rest of the body grows. It's "bunched up" underneath the old exoskeleton and gets stretched out and hardens up. That's why it's really important to not mess with the tarantula when it's molting as you can really cause damage to the soft exo.

Last edited:

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
About a month back I got the order from hell.

Out of an order of ten Ts, 3 were DOA, two molted in transit and lost seven legs between them, and another T died a few days after arrival. (As I said, the order from hell.)

Of the two molters, one died a week later. The other, an H sanguiniceps, just molted and regrew the four legs it lost.

It's late, and I've never managed to take a good photo of a T, so I will pass on the documentation.

But I still wanted to share the good news.
Congrats on the survivor. That little one definitely has the will to survive right there

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
It's normal for a regenerating leg to be "thin" looking on the first molt after losing it. I doubt it'll lose it again, and next molt it'll look either normal or very close to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
ADMIN NOTE: Stick to the topic of the actual animals. All else is off limits. I'm not asking ...