It is Not Always Sunshine and Rainbows

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Especially when it comes to mating Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens...:

Yes, those are not all her legs...

Fresh male gone without getting to mate.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I know the feeling, I just lost a loaned mm versicolor to an instantaneous viscous attack.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is the video:

I should not have tried to save him at that stage, could have hurt the female, I know.

Yeah, not the easiest species to breed.

cold blood

Staff member
Id have fattened that female a lot more. Im pairing these as well, but on 2 attempts no mating..no agression from my female either though....im trying again tonight or tomorrow

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Id have fattened that female a lot more. Im pairing these as well, but on 2 attempts no mating..no agression from my female either though....im trying again tonight or tomorrow
Also thought the female looked a bit "skinny" for a mating attempt. Good luck on your try. Let's hope you are not just serving an expensive dinner like @Najakeeper did :D.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Put down the camera and pick up a wooden spoon to block her.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Put down the camera and pick up a wooden spoon to block her.
Camera was in a tripod obviously, my hands were free and I had long foreceps ready.

Knowing my skills though, I would have squished them both if I tried anything with a wooden spoon. Have you seen that speed?!

I have also seen males from other species stop the females on their tracks in situations like this and successfully mate.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Camera was in a tripod obviously, my hands were free and I had long foreceps ready.

Knowing my skills though, I would have squished them both if I tried anything with a wooden spoon. Have you seen that speed?!

I have also seen males from other species stop the females on their tracks in situations like this and successfully mate.
I have seen the speed. There often isn't time to intervene, but having watched your vid I think that wasn't one of those times. I hover right over my aggressive females with a long-handled spoon and rubber-tipped tongs so I'm able to interpose an implement quickly if I have to. I've saved several males that way.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What is the purpose of the female eating the male before they've mated? Is it just a case of the female didn't find him a suitable mate and the food source was too good of an opportunity to "waste"?

I can understand a female eating her mate after. Job done and a very big meal to boot.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
What is the purpose of the female eating the male before they've mated? Is it just a case of the female didn't find him a suitable mate and the food source was too good of an opportunity to "waste"?

I can understand a female eating her mate after. Job done and a very big meal to boot.
When a female is not receptive she will eat anything that comes her way including her own potential mate. Its a shock anything lives where this species calls home. Food is often scarce so you eat what you can.