it happened again

Lolita

Arachnoknight
one of my tarantulas molted against the wall tried to roll over the wrong way and died the past 2 days most of my 17 tarantulas have molted (which is weird they are all doing it around the same time but meh) and my last curly hair molted against it's wall and died i hate it when they do that i stress enough when they molt without them going and molting into a wall and killing themselves i'm just sad and need a hug :(

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry to hear that. *big bear squeeze, rib crunching hug!!!* :}

Lolita

Arachnoknight
thanks i just hate when they decide to molt against the wall it's like theres enough perfectly safe space for you to not kill yourself and give me a heart attack so don't do it there you crazy little spider

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Hugs Lolita. I lost my E. campestratus (PZB/Pink Zebra Beauty) Farino last week. He flipped in his hide, but was scrunched up against the wall, too. He just lay there. I tried to save him, but he wasn't far enough progressed for me to extract him. So here's a big hug for you, and we'll mourn our Ts together.

Marga

Lolita

Arachnoknight
thanks everyone yeah this is the 3rd time this has happened this year and it's like i take good care of you could you at least take care of yourself and not molt in a dangerous place

Lolita

Arachnoknight
basically what happens is if flips on it's back to molt like usual pops the carapace goes to flip over to get out of the old exo flips in the wrong direction towards the wall and gets stuck unless you know their molting and can stop this from happening before they start to harden their pretty much doomed and even if you manage to move them in time messing with a molting tarantula too much when its vunerable is risky

Lolita

Arachnoknight
once they got out of their old exoskeletons they start to harden if the flip into the wall of their tank and can't get fully out if the molt they die half out of their old exoskeleton because they can't move and are already hardening

Sabotag3

Arachnopeon
odd my genic molted in a corner, i was worried, but she turned out fine (this is a 6in+ specimen.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
yeah my B smithi 4.5" male molted fine in the corner too it seems to be more of an issue for slings

AceOfJacks

Arachnopeon
once they got out of their old exoskeletons they start to harden if the flip into the wall of their tank and can't get fully out if the molt they die half out of their old exoskeleton because they can't move and are already hardening
oh so it pretty much becomes trapped in its own body?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
oh so it pretty much becomes trapped in its own body?
yes they get stuck in their own molt. They begin to harden while still inside their old exoskeleton.

on another note... my 1.5" B.vagans sling has been a busy little munchkin' today. Moving around a lot of dirt. lol {D

Lolita, I have been through what you've been through. I lost a female P. ornata from similar occurrences.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
yes they get stuck in their own molt. They begin to harden while still inside their old exoskeleton.

on another note... my 1.5" B.vagans sling has been a busy little munchkin' today. Moving around a lot of dirt. lol {D

Lolita, I have been through what you've been through. I lost a female P. ornata from similar occurrences.
i know mine didn't burrow though it moved all it's substrate to one side i have a quirky little Vagans myself. and i'm sorry to hear about your P. ornata their one of the few pokies that doesn't give me the heebiejeebies

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
i know mine didn't burrow though it moved all it's substrate to one side i have a quirky little Vagans myself. and i'm sorry to hear about your P. ornata their one of the few pokies that doesn't give me the heebiejeebies
anything over 4" gives me the heebies, but then again im a recovering arachnaphobe.....now im just "arachnocautious"

Rob1985

This user has no status.
anything over 4" gives me the heebies, but then again im a recovering arachnaphobe.....now im just "arachnocautious"
I love slings... I wish I coudl get this on video. She picked up a huge chuck of substrate, turned around and a waived her front legs and then walked away.

I am really getting into having these terrestrial slings. I have always been a juvy or bigger owner. {D

Lolita

Arachnoknight
most of mine are slings and i find them pretty interesting. right about now though i regret doing the trade i did to get my curly hairs and my chaco golden knee i traded a MF A Versicolor for 3 curly slings a chaco sling and one of the versi's future babies and i basically ended up trading a 100 dollar spider for a 30 dollar sling in the long run but theres nothing i can do about it i guess