It’s beginning to look a lot like… molt month?

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Anyone else having a decent number of molts this month?

Out of the 11 tarantulas I have in my possession, over half of them have molted or are prepping to.

The completed molts are:
GBB (was going to attempt to molt sex but it webbed up the molt inside its hide so it’s part of the decor now, I guess)
X. sp. white (demolished the molt so no telling the sex until the next one, jerk)
N. chromatus
T. apophysis (just molted last night - hoping to try and molt sex it if the molt isn’t destroyed)

In heavy premolt or sealed away in burrows where I can’t see them so I’m suspecting premolt/molting are:
B. hamorii
P. Saizmai
O. philipinus

Who else is having a crazy month for molts?

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
Me! I had N. incei, A. avicularia, A. juruensis M2, and a T. albopilosus all molt in the last week. T. vagans molted earlier this month, and I have 3 more burrowed down for about 2 weeks now. A food item disappeared overnight finally so maybe my N. Chromatus is going to make an appearance looking fresh soon. I also suspect one of my C. Versicolor is in premolt. It’s exciting watching them all grow. I was particularly excited about the avicularias and T. Albo, who is now more grey then brown!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
:rofl:i only have 2 ts that are topside enough for me to even guess or know about any upcoming molts c elegans sling havent seen for months p muticus has been digging out things at bottom of its jar still eating but i havent caught it out for a while now either:rolleyes:

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Me! I had N. incei, A. avicularia, A. juruensis M2, and a T. albopilosus all molt in the last week. T. vagans molted earlier this month, and I have 3 more burrowed down for about 2 weeks now. A food item disappeared overnight finally so maybe my N. Chromatus is going to make an appearance looking fresh soon. I also suspect one of my C. Versicolor is in premolt. It’s exciting watching them all grow. I was particularly excited about the avicularias and T. Albo, who is now more grey then brown!
What is it about November that has our little dudes/dudettes ready to grow? 😂 I figured my T apophysis was getting ready to because it's been refusing food for weeks but it didn't really show me any other signs and then I woke up this morning and about 💩 my pants because I thought there were two spiders in the enclosure with the way the molt was sitting.

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
@QuinnStarr My house is very warm and I have mostly slings so I expect they will keep molting regularly, minus the Aphonopelmas (but one can dream haha). My A. juruensis M2 hadn't eaten for me since I had her (was only about 2 weeks though). I thought she was settling at first, then realized she was in premolt when her legs started to darken. She came out of that molt ravenous and clung to a mealworm for 2 days straight; I was thrilled down to my toes.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've had maybe 3 out of 70 moult this week with another 3 or 4 gearing up for moults, most of those that are moulting or about to are slings though.

Tbh, I see the most moults around the summer.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
@QuinnStarr My house is very warm and I have mostly slings so I expect they will keep molting regularly, minus the Aphonopelmas (but one can dream haha). My A. juruensis M2 hadn't eaten for me since I had her (was only about 2 weeks though). I thought she was settling at first, then realized she was in premolt when her legs started to darken. She came out of that molt ravenous and clung to a mealworm for 2 days straight; I was thrilled down to my toes.
I had that same feeling with my GBB! It wouldn't eat from the day I got it and then I walked in one morning and it was on its back. Gave it a week and a couple fang inspections to make sure it was ready for prey and watching the takedown was superb.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Me too! Oct/November were really nice molting months😊
P.murinus RCF
M.Balfouri
C.Darlingi
3 P.regius
G.pulchra
E. gandanameno
And I'm also suspecting near molts for my C.versi and B.emilia☺

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Me too! Oct/November were really nice molting months😊
P.murinus RCF
M.Balfouri
C.Darlingi
3 P.regius
G.pulchra
E. gandanameno
And I'm also suspecting near molts for my C.versi and B.emilia☺
I'm so jealous of your C. darlingi. I want one so bad but Christmas is coming up and that means I have to focus more on the kiddos than adding any more to my tarantula collection 😂

magouilles

Arachnoknight
I'm so jealous of your C. darlingi. I want one so bad but Christmas is coming up and that means I have to focus more on the kiddos than adding any more to my tarantula collection 😂
they're soo pretty I was able to yoink one after searching for them for quite some time in my area would highly recommend
it do be one hell of a ride whenever i need to rehouse it though mine doesn't know how to walk it only bolts😂

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
they're soo pretty I was able to yoink one after searching for them for quite some time in my area would highly recommend
it do be one hell of a ride whenever i need to rehouse it though mine doesn't know how to walk it only bolts😂
Weirdly, that's how my Brachy is. As soon as I open the top of it's enclosure to feed it, it bolts in circles around the enclosure. It never hides, it just zooms around like a doofus.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I think I had molts this month from:

a few o. Philippinus,
a few t. Albopilosus,
t. Albopilosus ometepe,
p. Sazimai,
p. regalis,
p. metallica,

I got a few other species in premolt I think.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I think I had molts this month from:

a few o. Philippinus,
a few t. Albopilosus,
t. Albopilosus ometepe,
p. Sazimai,
p. regalis,
p. metallica,

I got a few other species in premolt I think.
Remind me to call you when I decide to try a pokie 🤣 you can be my emotional support

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Remind me to call you when I decide to try a pokie 🤣 you can be my emotional support
To be honest, I get more threat poses from my psalmopoeus species than I do from my pokies. My pokies are just more skittish. If you took the venom factor out, they make a great species.

I still wouldn’t recommend for a beginner though, lol.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Well not really only the straggler/runt P. metallica so far, but my 9 year old 0.0.1 B. smithi (probably acctually a B. hamorii) is gearing up for its first molt in my care. Hopefully it is female and i will be able to shed some light on that confusion.

IMG_20211118_010233.jpg

i am really hoping the coming molt changes its behavior a little , i already got this spider with a huge bald patch and despite having created a deep burrow it instantly flicks hairs if i try to water/feed it instead of retreating and i can actually feel these quite strongly unlike those of my Lasiodora or Pamphobeteus spiders, in the rare cases they do flick (rehousings).

Last edited:

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
To be honest, I get more threat poses from my psalmopoeus species than I do from my pokies. My pokies are just more skittish. If you took the venom factor out, they make a great species.

I still wouldn’t recommend for a beginner though, lol.
Most people don’t recommend half my spiders for a beginner 🤣 I have four “beginner” spiders. the rest are ones I’ve read “probably don’t buy this one if you’re new”. Like the O. philipinus- I sat up almost the entire night before it arrived reading up on care, moisture requirements, etc. so I could be totally prepared the next day because fossorial species weren’t on my list until then.

Well not really only the straggler/runt P. metallica so far, but my 9 year old 0.0.1 B. smithi (probably acctually a B. hamorii) is gearing up for its first molt in my care. Hopefully it is female and i will be able to shed some light on that confision.

View attachment 404683

i am really hoping the coming molt changes its behavior a little , i already got this spider with a huge bald patch and despite having created a deep burrow it instantly flicks hairs if i try to water/feed it instead of retreating and i can actually feel these quite strongly unlike those of my Lasiodora or Pamphobeteus spiders, in the rare cases they do flick (rehousings).
My hamorii is a kicker too! Drives me bonkers.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Most people don’t recommend half my spiders for a beginner 🤣 I have four “beginner” spiders. the rest are ones I’ve read “probably don’t buy this one if you’re new”. Like the O. philipinus- I sat up almost the entire night before it arrived reading up on care, moisture requirements, etc. so I could be totally prepared the next day because fossorial species weren’t on my list until then.

My hamorii is a kicker too! Drives me bonkers.
LOL, Someone once told me when I first got into old worlds……

The only way to get experience with old worlds, is to actually keep old worlds.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
LOL, Someone once told me when I first got into old worlds……

The only way to get experience with old worlds, is to actually keep old worlds.
If I didn’t think I was ready, I wouldn’t do it. My third was a Theraphosa species, which is generally not “beginner friendly”. I know I’ve said this elsewhere on the boards but I set up an enclosure and practiced my husbandry for literal weeks before I pulled the trigger on buying one.

if nothing else, I’m thorough before I jump into a decision. 🤣