Issues with raising Slings

tigsher

Arachnopeon
I'm curious to learn your gripes about hatching and then raising slings. I've seen photos of people's setup with hundreds of vials. I can guess opening each one, feeding, misting, etc each day?

I think there's a certain therapeutic joy from hours of giving the newborn Ts a parental attention.

Best containers? Vials? Sauce cups?
Misting? Droplet of water?
Prekill (spoil them)? Pinhead crickets (let nature take its course)?
Heard feeding daily? Twice a week? As much as they can?

cold blood

Staff member
Gripes? Why would there be gripes?

Slings don't need to be fed or watered daily. It's as needed and it could be a week or more between opening enclosures.

The best thing to do is to just keep it simple. I use condiment cups, and water on an as needed basis...that is, I water, and simply wait for them to dry, then repeat. Same for feeding, the simplest way to feed is with pre kill....to simplify further, I dice mealworms....so I don't have to run down feeders and I don't have to search to see if the food has been eaten or not or catch it to remove it...it also allows for one to feed larger meals, which in turn means feeding a lot less frequently.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Had a bunch of 2nd instar P ornata for a month and a half now. Opened the cages three times.

Prekilled food for convenience. Mealworm chunks.

Bought a couple hundred 8oz delis off Amazon for containers. Two holes. One in the side and one in top. Substrate takes a month to dry.

its annoying to have so many if you're busy. That's for sure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm curious to learn your gripes about hatching and then raising slings. I've seen photos of people's setup with hundreds of vials. I can guess opening each one, feeding, misting, etc each day?

I think there's a certain therapeutic joy from hours of giving the newborn Ts a parental attention.

Best containers? Vials? Sauce cups?
Misting? Droplet of water?
Prekill (spoil them)? Pinhead crickets (let nature take its course)?
Heard feeding daily? Twice a week? As much as they can?
It’s as therapeutic as watching paint dry :rolleyes: :banghead::lol:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
It’s as therapeutic as watching paint dry :rolleyes: :banghead::lol:
This is right up there with the thread about soldering holes in enclosures being therapeutic. And I find this funny because I did watch paint dry today.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is right up there with the thread about soldering holes in enclosures being therapeutic. And I find this funny because I did watch paint dry today.
Agree 100% mind numbing activities don’t stimulate my brain in any way.

Venom100

Arachnosquire
Slings are fairly easy to care for actually.
Water
Feed
I have a smaller collection of slings, so I try to check them daily.
one of the common issues I see is slings drying out.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I raised all but 2 of my 47 T's from slings. No gripes, in fact I find slings easier to care for than a couple of my now large T's that have attitude problems. Sling water dishes dry out faster but it's not a big deal to fill them.