Issue with ArachnidShop Enclosures

GL3NE

Arachnopeon
I recently placed purchased several acrylic enclosures from ArachnidShop: the big 12"x12"x18", two 6"x6"x9", and one 4"x4"x7". For the uninformed, these enclosures are sleek acrylic boxes with sliding magnetic lids and drilled ventilation holes. They are purpose built for invertebrates and seem to allow for good humidity retention, something that Kritter Keepers don't offer.

I house my A. Geniculata in the big one, and within a few hours, quite a bit of condensation built up inside (to be expected, as there is limited ventilation). But the issue here is that the magnetic lids of these containers are impossible to remove after the interior humidity increases. Acrylic is a hygroscopic material, meaning it absorbs water from the air, so the lids require sufficient clearance to compensate for expansion. The humidity differential across the top and bottom side of the sliding panel causes it to severely deform, which makes removing the lid a monumental task. For the large enclosure, I have to put one hand on the enclosure while I pull the lid off, which feels like it is going to rip the enclosure in half because it firmly rubs the top of the front panel as it is opened. It's impossible to remove without disturbing the spider.

I have my juvenile H. oipoquaeae in one of the 6"x6"x9" enclosures, and the issue is the same. Within a few days of housing the spider, the lid warps so badly that it horrifically scrapes the top when pulled off, which scares the crap out of the spider every time I want to feed it.

I feel bad about starting a discussion here because the business owner provided good customer service in regards to a different issue, however my email inquiry with concern about the enclosure lids went unanswered. These enclosures aren't cheap, but I would be happy to buy more of them if they didn't have this design flaw. Has anybody else used these enclosures and/or ran into this issue? The 6"x6"x9" tall enclosures I ordered from Amazon do not have this problem. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s a common issue with acrylic not sure there’s much that can be done about it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah acrylic warps- you need thick acrylic to mitigate this- most acrylic vendors don’t use thick material

just takes bit of research to avoid your problem

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Acrylic is a cheaper alternative to glass, which is why it can be quite a problem whenever heat is affecting it or weight is compressed to it. Acrylic tends to bend over time which some will also warp with time. Honestly, not much can be done but to try and work things out yourself.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
My first enclosures all were acrylic and I quickly learned about what you've mentioned. Acrylic is usually a hobbyist favorite due to its hardness and clarity, but the downside is that it tends to be better for boxes displaying sports memorabilia or other stable things. Another lame point of acrylic is that is also tend to crack easily when you want to add more ventilation holes or when its bumped, and definitely can warp like mad under a lamp or just from age, just like the above posts mention. Acrylic also sometimes can stink.
My favorite alternative is PP ,or polypropylene plastic, commonly used for clear or semi-clear food containers. Since it is frequently used and deemed safe for food storage, it has been tested to withstand temperature changes and not warp or stink with age. It also almost never cracks when dropped, bumped, or when new holes are drilled. Drilling in this is actually quite easy.

If your acrylic enclosures are driving you nuts, I hope you can settle something out with the retailer and maybe in the future shift to something more friendly to your preferences. PP containers can be found almost anywhere where food storage items are sold. They also come in much more exciting sizes that can fit any form of T, with tall pasta containers being my favorite for arboreals; low flat ones for fossorial millipedes. The challenge with using these I suppose would be the need to drill your own holes, but on the flip side, you can customize your holes however you'd like: more for arid critters, or less for those who need more humidity. You can also place them wherever you want, since I've been guilty of trying to tap new holes or taping those on pre-made enclosures.

GL3NE

Arachnopeon
Yeah acrylic warps- you need thick acrylic to mitigate this- most acrylic vendors don’t use thick material

just takes bit of research to avoid your problem
First of all, these containers are purpose built for arachnids, with limited ventilation. The acrylic lid for the 18x12x12 container is 0.2" thick, so not thin material at all.

Secondly, "a bit of research" is irrelevant for a purpose built product. I know that many plastics are hygroscopic as I have a 3d printer and regularly dry out filament to prevent issues during printing. However other purpose built acrylic containers I own utilize proper clearances for the lid to mitigate issues caused by warping. These containers do not.

GL3NE

Arachnopeon
My first enclosures all were acrylic and I quickly learned about what you've mentioned. Acrylic is usually a hobbyist favorite due to its hardness and clarity, but the downside is that it tends to be better for boxes displaying sports memorabilia or other stable things. Another lame point of acrylic is that is also tend to crack easily when you want to add more ventilation holes or when its bumped, and definitely can warp like mad under a lamp or just from age, just like the above posts mention. Acrylic also sometimes can stink.
My favorite alternative is PP ,or polypropylene plastic, commonly used for clear or semi-clear food containers. Since it is frequently used and deemed safe for food storage, it has been tested to withstand temperature changes and not warp or stink with age. It also almost never cracks when dropped, bumped, or when new holes are drilled. Drilling in this is actually quite easy.

If your acrylic enclosures are driving you nuts, I hope you can settle something out with the retailer and maybe in the future shift to something more friendly to your preferences. PP containers can be found almost anywhere where food storage items are sold. They also come in much more exciting sizes that can fit any form of T, with tall pasta containers being my favorite for arboreals; low flat ones for fossorial millipedes. The challenge with using these I suppose would be the need to drill your own holes, but on the flip side, you can customize your holes however you'd like: more for arid critters, or less for those who need more humidity. You can also place them wherever you want, since I've been guilty of trying to tap new holes or taping those on pre-made enclosures.
Thank you for your insightful reply. I'll admit I'm a little picky as far as enclosures go, and I also have only a single shelf for my invertebrates which can't support much weight so I can't use glass, unfortunately. I'm bummed out because I have a few arboreal acrylic enclosures which are great, but they are also properly designed. I will look into polypropylene containers as well. I might send another email to the vendor and see if we can work something out. I have one 6x6x9 Arachnid Shop container which is set aside, but I'm reluctant to even bother with it at this point. Getting the lid on and off is such a chore, it's seriously a pain in the butt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First of all, these containers are purpose built for arachnids, with limited ventilation. The acrylic lid for the 18x12x12 container is 0.2" thick, so not thin material at all.

Secondly, "a bit of research" is irrelevant for a purpose built product. I know that many plastics are hygroscopic as I have a 3d printer and regularly dry out filament to prevent issues during printing. However other purpose built acrylic containers I own utilize proper clearances for the lid to mitigate issues caused by warping. These containers do not.
They are all “purpose built” until they aren’t, like the ones you bought.