isopods

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Guys,

Can the more senior enthusiasts post pictures of isopods that they use to help clean the Tarantula's garbage from inside the tanks? I read in a book that there are specific types of isopods that the Ts do not feast on and that these creatures help clean the substrate by eating the leftovers...

Please help.

thanks!!!

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it possible to start a culture with WC isopods? Does anyone have experience doing so? And would it be safe to put wild isopods in with a reptile or is there a risk of parasites?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it possible to start a culture with WC isopods? Does anyone have experience doing so? And would it be safe to put wild isopods in with a reptile or is there a risk of parasites?
yes, yes and yes it is ok. I have done it for the past few years now with no ill effects.
If you all want to learn more about Isopods, be sure to send a message or 3 to OldHag. She is the Queen of Isopods{D

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I have WC collections and CB collections. Ive never had any problems with parasites.
Some Ts will eat the isopods, others ignore them. Depends on the T. I dont think there is a type that a T will ignore. If it wants to eat one, it will. :D
I sell them, both the rolly polly and wood lice kinds. I dont think they do much in a tank.. .but then again I dont let my tanks get dirty enough to use them to clean. The downfall in useing them to clean a T tank is that you MUST have a moist area for the isopods at ALL times. They need that moisture to breath as they have wee gills. Dry = Death for isopods.

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I actually also keep a crocodile skink in addition to my Ts, and I was thinking of putting woodlice in there, as the skink needs it quite moist too (and leaves poop and shed skin eeeeeeeeeeverywhere).

So if I wanted to start breeding some of these (preferably the ones that roll up, just aesthetic value, maybe both, I'm not sure, how would I go about doing so? Just keep them warm and moist with some leaf litter to eat? Or is there any trick to it?

Thanks guys (and girls/hags!)

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I keep mine very successfully on moist peat with rotton wood and dead dried oakleaves mixed in. Throw in a few peices of cucumber every now and then. They THRIVE! I wouldnt nessesarily keep them warm. Probably wouldnt hurt, but cool is good too.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
See, I told you all that OldHag was the Queen of Isopods!!!:D
I just didnt feel worthy to say much about them when we have a Rollie Pollie expert here!!:D

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Dont be so modest Brian, you taught me everything I know!!

Brian's Tick Collection is second to none!! Its staggering how he has them trained to do certain actions in order to be fed! He even raises his own animals to feed the ticks. THAT is dedication to an animal if ever I saw!!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
LOL!!! Do you still want some Malaysian Dog Tick babies? :D

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dont be so modest Brian, you taught me everything I know!!

Brian's Tick Collection is second to none!! Its staggering how he has them trained to do certain actions in order to be fed! He even raises his own animals to feed the ticks. THAT is dedication to an animal if ever I saw!!
Whoa... cool!!! I will really try adding the rollies into my T tanks... and hope they don't get feasted on

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well thanks for the info Queen of the Isopods and Brian :worship: . Gonna have to get on mah bike and find some isopods soon... and oak leaves. This could actually be a hell of a task living downtown, how sad...

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
If you have a hard time finding the dried oakleaves I have BAGS and BAGS of it.. I could send some to you.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OldHag, you never cease to amaze me! Do you have any of the orange Isopods? I'd like to get some of them for my Crested tanks, but I never thought to use them in some of my T tanks, as well. I guess I could put a few in my A. versi and B. vagans tanks... hmmm... maybe just the Avic's tank. Gracie seems more prone to eat everything that moves still. {D

Topher

Arachnopeon
Some Ts will eat the isopods, others ignore them. Depends on the T. I dont think there is a type that a T will ignore. If it wants to eat one, it will. :D
I've been sortof eavesdropping on this thread. Is there an isopod that would make an ideal spiderling feeder? I'm looking for an alternative to raising crickets or buying them all the time and I own two small spiderlings.