Isopods in P.Imperator enclosure...thoughts?

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was wondering if it would be beneficial to keep isopods in with my P.imp so as to be the "cleaners" of the emperors palace so to speak...i'm fearful of mites...

of course, then i would prolly have to have a food source in there for the isopods as well-my P.imp doesnt leave any scraps...(none that i can see at least)...

and the isopod food might invite molds...i dunno, it's prolly unecessary but i just wanted some feedback on this...

thanks in advance,

Huf

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think Isopods would only be worth while if you knew there were food scraps in the tank for them to clean up on a regular basis. Otherwise, your right, they won't have anything to eat and you just keep replacing them for no reason. I've tried it with some of my larger T's that leave a leg here or there and they never survived for me. I just don't think there was enough in there for them.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have isopods in my emp tanks. the do a good job of cleaning up dead crickets and what not. they also eat rotting vegitable matter so if you are using peat as a sub., they won't starve ..

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use the small isos I find in my yard (no pesticide in my yard) I keep a handful in each tank, it keeps those little white bug to a minimum as it keep the crix parts up and the scorp poo too. {D They are constantly scavenging. I've even seen one on the claws of my emp 'cleaning' in side where he could be crunched. she just sat there with her claws open seeming to allow it.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah my isopods do cleaning on the emps. it's kinda odd to see cus the emp pretty much ignores them.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have isopods in all my Heterometrus and Pandinus enclosures. They do a good job cleaning food scraps in hard to reach corners (like in the burrow). I have been using isopods for 1.5 years already without any problems.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
It depends on what types of isopods you're using and what sub you have. As said you should go with peat so they have a constant supply of food. But some isopods will only eat rotting wood.

Isopods shouldn't either be so large that an emp (or other arthropod) can see them as food. Isopods tend to collect heavy metals (just like me {D ) and eating lots of them could possibly be harmful in the long run.

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow...great feedback everyone...Thank You! i use peat myself as sub. so now i just have to find a few of the lil devils...

regards

Huf

ideas1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sold, Where can I buy them? I didn't think I could place pill bugs in there. Does this mean I can place a giant pill bug and it will be safe?

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
wow...great feedback everyone...Thank You! i use peat myself as sub. so now i just have to find a few of the lil devils...

regards

Huf
Again, hardly "any" will do. Look very closely at the environment you're getting them from. Test them out in a seperate container first to see if they'll go for insect remains.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another thing you might wanna do is let them breed and only put then young into your tanks. just to be safe...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It depends on what types of isopods you're using and what sub you have. As said you should go with peat so they have a constant supply of food. But some isopods will only eat rotting wood.

Isopods shouldn't either be so large that an emp (or other arthropod) can see them as food. Isopods tend to collect heavy metals (just like me {D ) and eating lots of them could possibly be harmful in the long run.
Even the largest pillbugs are ignored by adult and sub adult Pandinus from what I have seen. I also keep them in with the smaller Tityus spp and they even seem to ignore them

I'm sold, Where can I buy them? I didn't think I could place pill bugs in there. Does this mean I can place a giant pill bug and it will be safe?
Why buy them when you can go outside and collect them under damp logs, rocks etc

ideas1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Even the largest pillbugs are ignored by adult and sub adult Pandinus from what I have seen. I also keep them in with the smaller Tityus spp and they even seem to ignore them

Why buy them when you can go outside and collect them under damp logs, rocks etc
You mean the regular rollie pollies? I didnt know! :wall: Well now I know thanks :worship:

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Yeah, might be (I havn't had any experience with large pandinus and pillsbugs), the small ones will eat the pb's for sure though.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i keep them in my heterometrus and pandinus tanks too.