Isopod

AlphaTen223

Arachnopeon
I have been looking into porcellio silvestri but I have been seeing conflicting information. I am wondering what temperature they like and what other things might be needed to breed them.

Hello AlphaTen223,
I have not had experience raising this particular species, but have kept many "wild - caught" types. These are some typical things that isopods generally need to breed and thrive;
1. A particularly moist spot in their enclosure. This will allow them to hydro regulate.
2. Plenty of leaf litter (this is their main food source).
3. Numerous hides. (Pieces of bark etc)
4. A substrate (garden soil mixed with mulch will do)
5. Vegetable/ fruit scraps fed every now and again. (I have found they like; potato skins (cooked), small pieces of strawberry, chickpeas/ lentils (dried), and molts of other creatures. Pretty much anything that comes from a plant and no animal products (except molts and remains).
I hope this helps you, but because this is only general knowledge, species specific information will have to come from those who have experience with this species.
Good luck!
Jumping Spider Fanatic06

AlphaTen223

Arachnopeon
Hello AlphaTen223,
I have not had experience raising this particular species, but have kept many "wild - caught" types. These are some typical things that isopods generally need to breed and thrive;
1. A particularly moist spot in their enclosure. This will allow them to hydro regulate.
2. Plenty of leaf litter (this is their main food source).
3. Numerous hides. (Pieces of bark etc)
4. A substrate (garden soil mixed with mulch will do)
5. Vegetable/ fruit scraps fed every now and again. (I have found they like; potato skins (cooked), small pieces of strawberry, chickpeas/ lentils (dried), and molts of other creatures. Pretty much anything that comes from a plant and no animal products (except molts and remains).
I hope this helps you, but because this is only general knowledge, species specific information will have to come from those who have experience with this species.
Good luck!
Jumping Spider Fanatic06
Do you know anyone who has kept this species before?

AlphaTen223

Arachnopeon
Enter "silvestri" into the search bar.
I’ve done some digging and it seems this species isn’t worked with as often as it should so if I end up getting some I will document my experience with them and what I notice they prefer compared to other isopods. Really hope this species can get the appreciation it deserves someday because it is truly a beautiful species.