Isopod Picture Thread

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
While I admit I don't have any pictures of my isopods (yet), I figured this would be a good thread to start so people can share pictures and even their species lists. I at least have a list, so I'll share that.

Trichorhina tomentosa
Trachelipus rathkii
Armadillidium vulgare
Oniscus asellus
Porcellio dilatatus
Porcellio scaber

Mixed isopod container from various central Illinois locations. I have no idea what all is in there at this point lol.

Really hoping to expand my species list in 2017, so we'll see what happens!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great idea @pannaking22 , Here are the species/morphs I currently keep:

Zebra Pillbugs-Armadillidium maculatum

Peach pillbugs Armadillidium nasatum 'peach'

Common pillbugs-Armadillidium vulgare 'high yellow' (in progress)

Oniscus asellus (skirted isopods)

Porcellio scaber (wild type)

Porcellio scaber 'Spanish Orange'

Porcellio scaber 'Dalmatian'

Porcellio scaber 'Calico'

Porcellio scaber 'Orange Dalmatian' (in progress)

Porcellio dilatatus-'Giant Canyon'

Powder Blues Porcellionides pruinosus

Cyclisticus convexus-teardrop pillbugs

Trichorhina tomentosa-micro white isopod

species unknown-Jungle micropods/Costa Rican purples

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful! What camera do you use?
Thanks! I think most of these were with a Canon Powershot...a few might have been with my IPad Pro with a clip-on macro lens. The shot of the high yellow A. vulgare was just with my iphone 4S, I think. I will readily admit that I had to take dozens of shots of each isopod species and then sift through them to find some halfway decent ones.

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Awesome idea!
I currently keep:
Armadillidium maculatum
Cylisticus convexus
Porcellio laevis
"White" and "Orange"
Porcellionides pruinosus
Porcellio scaber
Porcellio spinicornis
normal and "White"
Trachelipus rathkii normal and "Orange"

Here are some pics!
Armadillidium maculatum
DSC_0467 (2).JPG
Cylisticus convexus
DSC_0020 (2).JPG DSC_0020 (2).JPG
Porcellio laevis"White"
DSC_0060 (2).JPG
Porcellio laevis"Orange"
DSC_0039 (2).JPG
Porcellionides pruinosus
DSC_0164 (2).JPG
Porcellio scaber
DSC_0052 (2).JPG
Porcellio spinicornis
DSC_0046 (2).JPG
Porcellio spinicornis
"White"
DSC_1011 (2).JPG
Trachelipus rathkii
DSC_0044 (2).JPG
Trachelipus rathkii
"Orange"
DSC_0640 (2).JPG

blacksheep998

Arachnosquire
I love these threads. I've posted a lot of these pics before but some are new, here goes!

Porcellio scaber 'Orange'

Porcellio scaber 'Dalmatian'

Porcellio scaber 'Orange Dalmatian'

Porcellio scaber 'Mixed' - These are the leftovers from breeding the Orange Dalmatian strain, and produce offspring of all 4 color morphs: Wild gray, orange, dalmatian, and orange dalmatian.

Armadillidium maculatum

Armadillidium nasatum 'Peach'

Oniscus asellus

Philoscia muscorum

Trachelipus rathkii

That's all I've got currently but I'm always looking for more. Really hoping to pick up some of the new species making their way into the hobby now like Armadillidium spec. Montenegro, Porcellio ornatus 'High Yellow', and Porcellio expandus.

All About Insects, those white P. spinicornis are awesome! I don't think I've ever seen them before. Did you find them yourself?

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Very nice isopods @blacksheep998! I particularly love the P.moscorum, P.scaber"Mixed", and O.asellus. Thanks! :) Yes, I collected about four "White" individuals along with the other 75 or so normal ones I managed to find. I'm currently trying to isolate the trait, but things aren't really going smoothly.

blacksheep998

Arachnosquire
Yes, it can be tricky isolating a color morph in isopods because the females can store sperm for months. I had the same problem with my orange dalmatians because some of them had already mated before I managed to separate them from their siblings and they kept throwing other colors.

And the Philoscia muscorum are my new project. I found a yellow one while gardening this summer, and collected it along with a couple others. Everything was going well for a few months then all the adults abruptly died off. It was the weirdest thing. I still don't think anything in the container changed, but in less than 2 weeks I went from ~12 adults to 2, and the last 2 died as well a couple weeks after that.

But whatever it was, it didn't seem to affect the babies, and a few of them appear to be displaying the same yellow color I was going for so I'm counting it as a win so far. Lol

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Really hoping to pick up some of the new species making their way into the hobby now like Armadillidium spec. Montenegro, Porcellio ornatus 'High Yellow', and Porcellio expandus.
Roachcrossing is now selling the Armadillidium sp "Montenegro", 12 mixed for $80, a bit pricey, but he is the only US vendor selling them, plus they aren't all that fast growing or prolific.

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Roachcrossing is now selling the Armadillidium sp "Montenegro", 12 mixed for $80, a bit pricey, but he is the only US vendor selling them, plus they aren't all that fast growing or prolific.
Charles Schurman also sells them(through Facebook and his site tundraexotics.com), but for slightly more, $75 for 10+.

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Cylisticus convexus:
Normal and "Pied" individuals, (sadly the Pieds all died out)

Oniscus asellus:
Normal morph

Oniscus asellus:
"Orange-ish" color morph

Oniscus asellus:
Dalmatian/Speckled color morph

Offspring from the above individuals

Porcellio dilatatus:

Porcellio scaber:
Normal

Porcellio scaber:
Orange color morph

Porcellionides pruinosus:

Trachelipus rathkii:
Orange color morph

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Armadillidium vulgare:
Intense yellow individual from a culture I had years ago that died out.

Individuals from my current colony

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Awesome isopods Hisserdude! Those pied C.convexus and the yellow A.vulgare were amazing, very unfortunate that they died.:( I really have to get some P.dilatatus one day, are yours breeding well for you?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Awesome isopods Hisserdude! Those pied C.convexus and the yellow A.vulgare were amazing, very unfortunate that they died.:( I really have to get some P.dilatatus one day, are yours breeding well for you?
Thanks! :) Yeah it's quite a shame, especially the Pied C.convexus, shouldn't have let their enclosure dry up. :(
Yeah, the P.dilatatus are doing pretty well, I'm seeing lots of young in the enclosure now, pretty soon they'll need to be housed in a bigger container!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful isopods! I particularly like the Orange and Dalmatian Oniscus asellus...stunning!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Beautiful isopods! I particularly like the Orange and Dalmatian Oniscus asellus...stunning!
Thanks! :) Yeah, the Dalmatian O.asellus are my favorite, they have been breeding true as well, which is always nice! The Orange-ish ones aren't as bright colored as I would like though, and so far their offspring have been rather normal looking. :meh: