Isopod ID and help

guitarkyle

Arachnopeon
Well, I have two separate tanks of two different species of Isopod and they're my favorite invert so far that I've kept (besides my fire-bellied toads and silverfish). I need some help with ID. The species in the first two I found in Long Island, New York and the other type in the other two pictures I found in Staten Island, New York. Anyone know of any isopod forums or sites to buy other species? Anyone keep any that are pretty exotic? Oh also, is it okay to coat their food with like the calcium powder that's meant for reptiles and stuff? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!:)

Attachments

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First one is an Oniscus sp, probably asellus.
Second ones are Armadillidium nasatum.
Calcium supplements are fine. Really you can't give these guys a bad diet; they eat anything. lol
There are dwarf jungle whites, some tan species, piebald ones, and giant canyon isopods (1" long; I've seen O. asellus get this big though.)
The most striking, in my opinion, are the orange ones; They are some type of Porcellio species (probably scaber) that is a bright orange color. I'm currently working on an independent bloodline that I collected a few months ago. (These ones are definitely P. scaber.)

Last edited:

guitarkyle

Arachnopeon
Thanks! And oh wow sounds awesome. Do you have any pictures of the tan, piebald, or giant canyon isopods? can't seem to find any on google