Isopod Breeding

kaciealissa

Arachnopeon
I’m looking to buy an isopod culture to keep with my Ivory millipedes but I’ve heard they reproduce fast. Is there any means of population control other than starting new cultures every few months? I only need them as a clean up crew😅 not looking to have so many bins full.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you choose a native species you could always release them. Another option is to keep something that eats them.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Depending on where you live you could try and find some wood louse spiders Dysdera crocata, they eat isopods, but probably won’t eat your millipedes.

DrippingPopsicle

Arachnosquire
I recommend having a separate tub where you culture your pods before adding them in with your millipedes, once they start breeding you can add the isopods in to act as a clean up crew. Also they wont really overpopulate, they are limited based on the size of the tub and how much food is available. Also add spring tails, they are a faster breeding more manageable cleanup crew.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I don't recommend keeping any isopods with millipedes; depending on the situation nothing may happen, or you may lose a lot of your millipedes due to predation by the isopods upon the young and molting.

There is also zero need to have a clean-up crew besides springtails in with millipedes so long as regular maintenance is performed. Millipedes and isopods often occupy the same ecological niche, so it'd be similar to just adding more millipedes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

DrippingPopsicle

Arachnosquire
I don't recommend keeping any isopods with millipedes; depending on the situation nothing may happen, or you may lose a lot of your millipedes due to predation by the isopods upon the young and molting.

There is also zero need to have a clean-up crew besides springtails in with millipedes so long as regular maintenance is performed. Millipedes and isopods often occupy the same ecological niche, so it'd be similar to just adding more millipedes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I completely agree with the same niche part, isopods are not required with millipedes

InvertNix

Arachnopeon
I agree I keep springtails with my bermese beauty millipedes and they are doing really well