Isopeda, Isopedella gave birth

huntsman

Arachnopeon

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi brad,

great ! congratulations !

it is possible that the slings will hatch in larva II. so in this case they won't eat until molted one time.
in lycosidae i observed a few times that mother was killing a prey, than only eaten a little bit of this and released the rest to her young - but i never observed this with my holconia (the only sparassidae i bred until now).

cheers, oli

huntsman

Arachnopeon
hi brad,

great ! congratulations !

it is possible that the slings will hatch in larva II. so in this case they won't eat until molted one time.
in lycosidae i observed a few times that mother was killing a prey, than only eaten a little bit of this and released the rest to her young - but i never observed this with my holconia (the only sparassidae i bred until now).

cheers, oli
Thanks a lot:D
Will the mother eat at all while guarding her egg sac?

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

the females of my species never were eating in this period - but at present time i observed just 2 females with sacs...
maybe other individuals will eat, time will show (have a few subadults from my breed now) !

maybe your species, your specimens will eat.
just give it a try - the spiders will decide for you ;)

bye, oli

huntsman

Arachnopeon
hi,

the females of my species never were eating in this period - but at present time i observed just 2 females with sacs...
maybe other individuals will eat, time will show (have a few subadults from my breed now) !

maybe your species, your specimens will eat.
just give it a try - the spiders will decide for you ;)

bye, oli
Hey oli,
Well i tried it out, i put a small cricket near and she just threatens like any other sized creature. Also a weird thing happened a few days a go,
when I was watching the mother she randomly walked away from the egg sac and nest I think it was just to check something out, when she finished she went back to the nest but she couldn't get back in because it was surrounded
by a web. So she tried to get in by bitting and destroying the silk, then she seemed to give up and went to hide under some bark, worried, I ripped open a hole in the web and picked up the mother and put her through the hole, she resisted a few times but it was just a line of silk which blocked her. I finally got her in and she knew it was her sac.
How long would you have to separate the mother with the sac for her to forget/stop protecting it or will a female just look after any huntsman egg sac.

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi brad,

strange and interessting story :confused:

you put her trough the hole ??? LOL how should i imagine this...you take her with your fingers and stuff her through the hole ??

i never touched my females with hands while guarding their sacs ! they are normally harmful - but with sac this is turning...

even my females never walked away from their sacs !
all the time, until slings are hatched or, in other cases, nothing hatched and mother give up the sac they protect and guard them.

i don't know how long it will need that mother forget about her sac - a lot of studies tell that spiders have only a 24 hours memory, BUT some other studies speak about longer memory capacities.

your last question is interessting, never asked me this !
maybe there are studies out there about this ?
personaly i'm thinking they will not care about other sacs because a other "smell"...
but again BUT ;) i was reading about lycosids which get stolen their sac and instead of this get offered a ball of cotton, that they was taking care for a while to the cotton ball - and walked around with it on the opisthosoma !

in your case the question to me is : why she leaved her sac to walk around ?
does she miss anything or is'nt the sac fertile ?

bye, oli

huntsman

Arachnopeon
hi brad,

strange and interessting story :confused:

you put her trough the hole ??? LOL how should i imagine this...you take her with your fingers and stuff her through the hole ??

i never touched my females with hands while guarding their sacs ! they are normally harmful - but with sac this is turning...

even my females never walked away from their sacs !
all the time, until slings are hatched or, in other cases, nothing hatched and mother give up the sac they protect and guard them.

i don't know how long it will need that mother forget about her sac - a lot of studies tell that spiders have only a 24 hours memory, BUT some other studies speak about longer memory capacities.

your last question is interessting, never asked me this !
maybe there are studies out there about this ?
personaly i'm thinking they will not care about other sacs because a other "smell"...
but again BUT ;) i was reading about lycosids which get stolen their sac and instead of this get offered a ball of cotton, that they was taking care for a while to the cotton ball - and walked around with it on the opisthosoma !

in your case the question to me is : why she leaved her sac to walk around ?
does she miss anything or is'nt the sac fertile ?

bye, oli
Hi sorry for my late reply,
lol by squeezing it through I mean picking her up and putting her up to the hole.
Any way she did eat when she was guarding the egg sac you just had to put it in the web.
The spiders hatched and I think there sharing food with the mum, a few escaped so i put them in a seperate container, which I put dead crickets in with them so the could eat, when the mother catches prey, she always seems to move away from the babies and im not sure how they are going to eat.
thanks

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi brad,

so it's different to my holconias, they never were eating with sac.
and when i was trying to feed them, they were hit the crickets with their legs, like "hey go away this is my house :p "

congrats to your hatchlings :clap:

picture possible ?
because maybe not first instar now - my holconias were hatching in second larva - and so feeding nor neccesary yet ?!
but if, simply use micro crickets or fruitflies...

cheers, oliver

kutlu

Arachnopeon
Good one buddy i remember when i had a huntsman sack.

The mother always gets so defensive and strikes a bloody posture but yeah good one not many people do that.

yours sincerely

Kutlu:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D