Isometrus maculatus question

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know a lot about I. macs, but most likely it is due to either a. recent molt or b. lighting or c. post editing. Lighting is especially tricky. It can make the same scorpion look 3+ different colors in some species.

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well there are species like Androctonus crassicauda that come from different areas and they have different attributes. However, I do not know about this one. Good question.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a) Color varies per locality
b) What Nomad said about molting, post editing and especially lighting....

I remember a picture of T.silvestris on Eric Ythiers website. when I first saw that years ago, I was like : "Wow a blue scorp!!", but they aren't blue, it is just the hue (spelling?) of the picture....

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
a) Color varies per locality
b) What Nomad said about molting, post editing and especially lighting....

I remember a picture of T.silvestris on Eric Ythiers website. when I first saw that years ago, I was like : "Wow a blue scorp!!", but they aren't blue, it is just the hue (spelling?) of the picture....
Not to get off topic or anything (sorry!) but I thought the same thing the first time I saw it. Strange coincidence.:D

Thanks for the help. I guess lighting or editing does make a difference, and I had never thought about molting, although you can usually tell when a scorpion has molted. Isometrus maculatus is just such a beautiful scorpion, I just wanted to know.:)

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to be off topic,but does anyone know where I can find a pair or trio of I.Macs for sale?They're one of my favorite scorpions,but seem to be very hard to find.Are they pretty easy to care for?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Sorry to be off topic,but does anyone know where I can find a pair or trio of I.Macs for sale?They're one of my favorite scorpions,but seem to be very hard to find.Are they pretty easy to care for?
I've actually never kept any, but they are pretty easy to care for. Researching them will help. You are right about them being hard to find--they are beautiful but only usually availiable in the Phillippines, Hawaii, etc.

Not to be critical, but that is a little off topic...anyway good luck.:)

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good to know that a lot are quite interested with one of our local scorps

my Imac community

sorry for the crappy pic:(
i can't get enough of these beauties that is why i have 3 more coming

Tremors

Arachnopeon
This is one of the species that made me join this forum!

I've been raising only three species for the last 4-5 years(P. trans/L.Q./B.j) but lately I've been interested in other species because of what I've seen on the internet. I've acquired several other different types in the last six months but I never see this species for sale...What gives?:?

LD50Qc

Arachnopeon
I never kept this species and I don't know much about their behavior but the enclosure seems to be very small for a group.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I never kept this species and I don't know much about their behavior but the enclosure seems to be very small for a group.
Agreed, and if you plan to keep them in this enclosure, I would add some more bark for more hiding places.

Korni

Arachnosquire
Hi!

I also have some I. maculatus. My speciems are from Philippines and i saw some from Kenia and there was a big difference.
So you have to look where they are from ;)

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Agreed, and if you plan to keep them in this enclosure, I would add some more bark for more hiding places.
True, that former enclosure is small, they are now in a much larger enclosure (5 gal) but still hangs out with each other, i put 2 hides on the opposite sides of their tank but they kind of like the one on the left.

For their climbing activity, i used thin bamboos and dried vines. one of them i think is gravid:drool:

Will post pic soon,

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tha's cool. The young are very small, but in general are able to tackle micro-crickets.....

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tha's cool. The young are very small, but in general are able to tackle micro-crickets.....
i might give them termites and roach nymphs, pinheads = extra work:cool:

once they reached 3i - 4i i will give some to my friends here in the Philippines who are also in inverts, so are my HH which are now 2i

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Can always just give 'em headcrushed crickets or legless roaches. Pinheads would be way too annoying :}

richoman3

Arachnosquire
they are a very nice sp. here in australia and do tend to vary a bit...
im trying to get my hands on some atm :).