isometeroid vescus

spaza

Arachnopeon
hey does anyone no if an isometeroid vescus can beat a trapdoor spider because i dont want my scorpion to die it sais its a spider hunter scorpion tho

ps AUSTRALIAN SCORPION

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
hey does anyone no if an isometeroid vescus can beat a trapdoor spider because i dont want my scorpion to die it sais its a spider hunter scorpion tho

ps AUSTRALIAN SCORPION
maybe iam missunerstanding you but are you talking about sacroficeing a spider just for the name:barf:? whats wrong with just crickets... i could be wrong but i dunno man

spaza

Arachnopeon
aparently this scorpion needs spiders in its diet because its built to take over there burrows i looked it up and it sais it only feeds on spiders and in stead of only wolf spiders maybe mix it up a bit so i am seeing if it can

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, I'd be very interested in seeing the behavior first hand. If I had the species I'd try feeding it spiders. I'd just make sure you have the right size and species of spider first. The spider could very easily turn the tables on the scorpion. It's easy for me to say this, given it's your scorpion at risk.

John

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't see what would be in a spider that a cricket or roach wouldn't have aside from venom or the silk proteins, which I somehow doubt the scorpion needs in its diet. It'd be interesting if it did though. Do you have a source for the claim?

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have a source for the claim?
This caught my interest so I googled Isometroides Vescus. I found a lot references to them being specialized spider hunters including the Enc. Britannica site, and at the link below. I have no experience with any type of biology studies etc so I can't really gauge the credibility. Having said that if it was my scorp I'd be feeding it burrowing spiders.

http://www.ecosmagazine.com/paper/ZO9560158.htm

Taxonomy and biology of the genus Isometroides Keyserling (Scorpionida)

From an examination of specimens of the scorpion Isometroides Keyserling collected in Western Australia, South Australia, and New South Wales and a study of the literature, it is concluded that two described species must be regarded as one. I. angusticaudus Keyserling is considered a synonym of I. vescus (Karsch). The genus represents a unique adaptive level, especially in its specialized feeding behaviour. It is distributed throughout the semi-arid inland. These facts make it difficult to find a geographically imposed isolation whereby the genus, once established, could have speciated. Field observations on this rare scorpion are presented. It is widespread, occurring in woodland and semi-arid country. In habit it is terrestrial, vagrant, and is specialized for feeding on burrowing spiders.