Isolation days passtime...

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
My Columbia Giant Redleg is on the delivery truck now and should be arriving anytime! I just ordered Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian giant white-knee) 3/4" for delivery next week!!! It will be my first experience with this species. I KNOW how to pass the time!! LoL!

Sgt7212

Arachnopeon
Congrats! I have been watching mine ever since I got back from FedEx this morning and set them up. I always have them held at FedEx Ship Center for pick up. That way I can be there right when they open and also, my animals don't get bounced around half a day on a non-climate controlled truck. I actually got 4 new slings.

From Fear Not, I got the B. smithi (ex annitha) and the tiniest little T. albo. The smithi has been chillin out on the underside of a leaf and the albo spent some time in a burrow and then danced around with a head crushed mealworm.

From Jamie's Tarantulas, I got a C. cyaneopubescens 1" sling and an E. campestratus that was supposed to be 3/4-1" but is more like the size of the T. albo (about a half inch). The GBB seems settled in well, but the E. Campestratus has been in stress mode under a leaf. To be expected since he traveled so far. Just letting him/her be.

Photos below. Click for larger view.

B. smithi
B smithi ex annitha.JPG

T. albo
T albo.JPG

C. cyaneopubescens
C cyaneopubescens.JPG

E. campestratus
E campestratus.JPG

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Going to have to get some slings from my local pet shop (they’re one of the few good ones, don’t worry) as new additions. Over here all online invert suppliers have shut down due to 1st class mail being unreliable (everyone in isolation).

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
Picked up two slings today, a N. coloratovillosus from NetBugs and a L. parahybana from Arachnoiden.
Had a little scare where I was taking the lid off the enclosure for the LP and it was on the underside, but I don't think it got squished or anything...just seems to have bolted back into its hide. Otherwise, both looked good and are tucked away in their hides.
Sadly, this is the last order for a while. I filed a note with work a few months back regarding a health issue and they've informed me that due to that, I can't be in the office - even to help out in the warehouse. (State's orders, nothing personal.)
My department gets less work so....even working from home, it's gonna be a long, lean pandemic.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
With my extra time, I’m working on getting the most out of imaging my slings using my iPhone. I’ve been messing with lighting and stabilizing the phone when taking pictures.

4B3A5F67-07E7-4B57-9556-E9C1C6D3DFAC.jpeg

GBB#4 came out onto its web to sit for a bit. Not interested in food, so just took images of it sitting.

Nice image of my Aphonopelma hentzi large female. She’s just chillin in her burrow. I’m hoping to get an egg sac soon.

16F2EF56-82E5-4912-8A9B-55929A9215CF.jpeg

Sgt7212

Arachnopeon
With my extra time, I’m working on getting the most out of imaging my slings using my iPhone. I’ve been messing with lighting and stabilizing the phone when taking pictures.

View attachment 338196

GBB#4 came out onto its web to sit for a bit. Not interested in food, so just took images of it sitting.

Nice image of my Aphonopelma hentzi large female. She’s just chillin in her burrow. I’m hoping to get an egg sac soon.

View attachment 338197
I always used to use my iPhone for photos and video. I used T’s as an excuse to reward myself with a DSLR and a good macro lens. Now I’m trying to learn that. I’ve been experimenting with lighting, angles, and f stop. I need to research flash/ macro ring alternatives to improve lighting and eliminate shadows, etc...

Appears good and well started! A little "thin" for my taste so I will try to add some "heft"!! Picture attached, although not very good..
Hey Huck, How big is your M robustum sling?

Sgt7212

Arachnopeon
I would say it is on the big side of 1-1 1/4".....
Ok, my GBB is maybe 1 1/4”, the B. smithi might just be hitting an inch. The T. albo and the E. campestratus are way smaller then I thought. They would each fit comfortably on a dime and have room to spare. Has me paranoid and I keep checking on them because they are so tiny... dare I say itsy bitsy 😂

The T. albo is steadily munching on the mealworm. I’m not sure if it matters with T’s as much, but if ball pythons take a meal that quickly (right out of the box from being shipped) it is a really good sign.

The E. campestratus has moved around it’s enclosure a bit. So it seems to be relaxing.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
My little onw is still socially isolating in the back of its hide, but seems fine. Probably will not offer food until tomorrow although it is tempting right now. When I got my GBB, it was smaller then I expected, but it starting eating the next day and is molting once a month so far.

Sgt7212

Arachnopeon
I was going to hold off, but figured it wouldn’t hurt to pre-kill a small mealworm and toss one in each of their enclosures. The B. smithi just started munching on his. I’m just nervous about the 2 littlest ones, and I’ll probably be like that until they get over an inch or so.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
I was going to hold off, but figured it wouldn’t hurt to pre-kill a small mealworm and toss one in each of their enclosures. The B. smithi just started munching on his. I’m just nervous about the 2 littlest ones, and I’ll probably be like that until they get over an inch or so.
Yes, I understand. I am just going to chill and keep my newest one just "spider" for awhile and keep an eye on it...

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I always used to use my iPhone for photos and video. I used T’s as an excuse to reward myself with a DSLR and a good macro lens. Now I’m trying to learn that. I’ve been experimenting with lighting, angles, and f stop. I need to research flash/ macro ring alternatives to improve lighting and eliminate shadows, etc...
I’m in reverse...I have my DSLR...wonderful setup, takes incredible images and amazing video. But I have to make a conscious effort to have it with me. Great on vacations.

My cell phone...with me where ever I go. So I'm looking at trying to limit the weaknesses of the format and maximize the technology that is available. Nice project to tinker with in the interim.

Sgt7212

Arachnopeon
I’m in reverse...I have my DSLR...wonderful setup, takes incredible images and amazing video. But I have to make a conscious effort to have it with me. Great on vacations.

My cell phone...with me where ever I go. So I'm looking at trying to limit the weaknesses of the format and maximize the technology that is available. Nice project to tinker with in the interim.
Definitely a nice project During the end of the world.. Lol I’m sure I’ll be experimenting with it a lot over the next couple weeks.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
]No new additions but I spent today in quarantine putting this together. Don't hate on my outdated labels. My mom has been borrowing the label maker 😂

1442A0AF-2D16-43CA-B803-359FEFA6B5E5.jpeg

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
]No new additions but I spent today in quarantine putting this together. Don't hate on my outdated labels. My mom has been borrowing the label maker 😂

View attachment 338203
Unrelated question: what are those small, square enclosures on the second shelf on the right?

As for what I'm doing to do to pass the time while self isolating, I will be waiting for my 1.0 B. emilia to molt, hopefully he matures this time. As for other tarantula related things, I might rehouse my B. hamorii and A. hentzi. Not much going on in my collection at this moment.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Unrelated question: what are those small, square enclosures on the second shelf on the right?

As for what I'm doing to do to pass the time while self isolating, I will be waiting for my 1.0 B. emilia to molt, hopefully he matures this time. As for other tarantula related things, I might rehouse my B. hamorii and A. hentzi. Not much going on in my collection at this moment.
Sling enclosures! Unfortunately, I didn't save the packaging so i have no idea what brand they are -- but I found them in the kitchen storage section of The Container Store for a very good price. If you have one of those stores around you, I highly recommend. The place is a T keeper's playground. I found The little grenade shaped containers at the same place and they're great for larger slings and juveniles.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon

View attachment 338203
NICE!!

Yes, I understand. I am just going to chill and keep my newest one just "spider" for awhile and keep an eye on it...
I caved in and offered the new sling a piece of waxworm. It grabbed after about 1/2 hour so everything appears A-OK thus far.