ISO a trap door spider and information about life expectancy

ZyklonG

Arachnopeon
I have a Pelinobius Muticus tarantula and it's great, I think a real complimentary true-spider would be some kind of trapdoor spider. I'm looking for information relating to what anyone would think a great trapdoor species would be to keep and what their average life expectancy may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have a Pelinobius Muticus tarantula and it's great, I think a real complimentary true-spider would be some kind of trapdoor spider. I'm looking for information relating to what anyone would think a great trapdoor species would be to keep and what their average life expectancy may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you not considered a Idiothele mira? Granted it's a tarantula but they behave like trapdoor spiders.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
The true trapdoors are very long-lived and certain families like halonoproctidae may take well over 20 years to mature (except for males)

Euctenizidae is a little faster, more akin to theraphosid development as they are more 'advanced' trapdoors.

Ive had bothriocyrtum slings for over 4 years and they still havent molted.

basin79

ArachnoGod
The true trapdoors are very long-lived and certain families like halonoproctidae may take well over 20 years to mature (except for males)

Euctenizidae is a little faster, more akin to theraphosid development as they are more 'advanced' trapdoors.

Ive had bothriocyrtum slings for over 4 years and they still havent molted.
Wait, what???!!!??? SLINGS that haven't moulted for 4 YEARS!!!!!!!!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I can't help much with species reccomendation but i can say trapdoors are probably some of, if not THE the longest living spider group/s. The oldest spider in the world was a G.Villosus from Australia at 46 years I think it was, and it didn't even die of old age. Fantastic spiders that often get overlooked in collections because they aren't seen often

basin79

ArachnoGod
I can't help much with species reccomendation but i can say trapdoors are probably some of, if not THE the longest living spider group/s. The oldest spider in the world was a G.Villosus from Australia at 46 years I think it was, and it didn't even die of old age. Fantastic spiders that often get overlooked in collections because they aren't seen often
Ah yes. I remember the story now.

Well I own a Liphistius cf ornatus and can't recommend them enough. They look prehistoric and are QUICK.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
You may be able to get African imports of golden trapdoor species, the same lineage of some Australian myalgamorphs that live in excess of 40 years.
Armoured trapdoors in the family idiopidae can be found in many other countries and generally extremely long lived.

TrapdoorSpiderLover

Arachnosquire
You may be able to get African imports of golden trapdoor species, the same lineage of some Australian myalgamorphs that live in excess of 40 years.
Armoured trapdoors in the family idiopidae can be found in many other countries and generally extremely long lived.
Ive want an idiops for so long, can you help us out and tell us how?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yes, @Rhino1 you seem to know more US importers than we do! Tell us your secrets please!

I'm just giving you a hard time ;); we get so few exotic non-tarantula mygalomorphs in the US it's not even funny, despite them being completely legal to import. I've only ever seen 3-5 exotic species available on a regular basis, and almost none of them were African species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Haha lol, I have some old U.S exotic pets books somewhere with care Guides on African GTs and I just assumed it was a thing.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
We wish...
At least not nowadays. They might have done it a decade or two ago, but certainly not now with any regularity.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yeah yeah yeah; you really just want us to get hooked on your native stuff so that we won't care for what we left behind; well it won't work on us! Because we're already hooked on your native stuff! And we can't get it! Ahhhhhh!

:rofl::D:cool:

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Haha lol, I have some old U.S exotic pets books somewhere with care Guides on African GTs and I just assumed it was a thing.
Do you know if the lengthy paperwork needed for exporting our T's applies to our other primitives as well?