Is your rosie a brick, or a demon?

Can you handle your rose hair?

• Yep, she's docile as a lamb.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Hell no, she's the Alien queen after she dropped her egg chute!

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I don't know, I don't handle mine.

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Just curious, lets get a percentage here.. In your opinions, is your Chilean Rose defensive, or totally docile?

Mine is a nasty bitch queen I call "Kill-O-Gramm".. I'm interested to see just how many others have meaner ones..

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Both of mine are sweet as can be. But I can't say the same for my wife..:mad:

Ernie

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is defensive but more so towards the tweezers than my hands. She gets really upset when I pick through her dirt. When she rears up she doesn't back down but I've never seen her extend the fangs.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've got 3 adult females and a soon to mature male and they all have different personalities

Charlotte = clingy pet-rock, hates to be put back into container, hangs on with all her claws, loves to eat

Rosy = Sweet and likes to explore, fasts most the time

Psycho = as name implies, threat postures and will bite, likes to eat

Sam = Sweet and mushy, he'll let you do most anything with him, extremely laid back

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Well from what I can tell right now mine is pretty docile... she has only shot hairs at the ruler I used to move her from a spot i was trying to clean but otherwise has never reared up or shot hairs at my hands. Although I have not handled her yet. But she does not take mercy on crickets =)

TheDon

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Our big female is a sweety. She is definately of the rock variety.

Our new almost mature male Stretch is a little more outgoing, but he hasn't shown any aggression at all yet. It may be too soon to say for sure.

Ali

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Just curious, lets get a percentage here.. In your opinions, is your Chilean Rose defensive, or totally docile?

Mine is a nasty bitch queen I call "Kill-O-Gramm".. I'm interested to see just how many others have meaner ones..

Bill
Mine is a little She-Demon. Even my Cobalt Luci's not as testy as she is.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have had several and I have to say that mine have been pretty doscile. They back away from me at times, but they have never reared up or showed any type of aggression.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, I decided tonight was the night. And though it took more quick reflexes and balls than my H. lividum did.. I handled Kill-O-gramm. For all of the two seconds she tolerated it. Almost got bit, too. But, now I have but two to go.

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Well, I decided tonight was the night. And though it took more quick reflexes and balls than my H. lividum did.. I handled Kill-O-gramm. For all of the two seconds she tolerated it. Almost got bit, too. But, now I have but two to go.

Bill
Wheres the proof Bill?
Lets see the pic. LOL

Ernie

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
one of my rosies turned into a bitch

I still have my original rosehair from when I got into the hobby a couple of years ago and all this time she has always been a total sweetheart and would always let me handle her....then suddenly about a couple of months ago she had a total personality change..she started to lash out at me and totally gave indications that she wanted to bite.:confused: I tested her one day with a knife - this knife has a rubberized handle and I offered the handle to her to see what would happen....she viciously sank her fangs into the handle and her chelicerae spread wide open as she pumped her fangs into the rubber...there was even venom running down the handle of the knife...I lifted her off the substrate while she remained hanging from the knife handle doing her best to envenomate it!! the only thing missing was her growling like a pit bull.

Well, that did it for me...no more cuddles for her.I firmly believe now that Rosehairs are indeed rather unpredictable and may change personality or decide to bite.And even though they are not regarded as being a "hot" species I sure would not want to have to pry one off off my hand if you know what I mean.

Actually the two most docile and trustworthy spiders I have in regards to handling are my Arizona Desert Blonde (Aphonopelma chalcodes) and my Chaco Golden Knee ( Grammostola areostriatum) these two spiders I would actually recommend to a beginner over a Rosehair if handling is intended.These two species are extremely mellow.

The Spider Hunter

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Wheres the proof Bill?
Lets see the pic. LOL

Ernie

My camera battery died, I swear!

Weren't the 4 pokeys, H. lividum, and P. irminia good enough!! do you DOUBT my lack of common sense???

Bill

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 2 Rosies 1 is nice and docile, the other is a total <edit>. :) But i love her. Even though she kicks like crazy and tries to eat my hand.
Mike

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Four adult females and one male -- all docile. The male can be quite active when handling. The others like to just sit around mostly.

Cheers,
Dave

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have two, the first one is very docile, never showed a hint of agression, the second one (an RCF) was very defensive when I got her, rearing up at the slightest hint of disturbance, since then she has eaten a lot and is quite the sweetheart now, I can handle her without any problems. I find this attitude change quite weird, she hasn't molted or something, and when I bought her she was already well fed, so I can't figure out where the change in temperament comes from...
greetz,
Joost

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My wife and I currently have 16 G. roseas ; 7 red phase and 9 common phase. While I'm not much into handling, they all are fairly docile except one red phase female.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, I don't have one right now, but my first 2 were rosies. The first one was a female, and she was really cool. Didn't seem to mind being handled. I'd let her crawl all over me while I watched TV. The second was a male, and he was a hair-kicking demon. I guess I broke even :D

N.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man all of my rosea's are complete bitches. Mostly my male --

the only one that is tolerable is my RP... plus she's gorgeous... she's really fang-y though (as i say) -- she walks around with her fangs out sometimes.. if you hold her (which is rare) she'll keep her fangs on your skin...

butotherwise, mine are all bastards! :)

for begginers: i'd say a Chaco, also, and a PZB, and a P.regalis.

let's see if you can find my sarcasm :)

peace,
dave

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lovely calm femal Red-phase, she's given me one soilitary threat pose in the last 10 years :)