Is This Widow Rumor True?

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I heard a rumor that it is illegal in the US to keep Widows as pets without some sort of science related license?

This sounds like madness to me, but I'd like to know if its true- I've googled and wiki'd and etc, but i cant seem to find a solid answer on this.

I adore the Widows. As potentially dangerous as they are, I find them to be harmonious and quite peaceful creatures. The contrast of their lacking aggression and [in theory] deadly bite makes me wonder about the laws of the Universe.

This being said, I will admit to keeping one in a quaint little tuperware container and would like to know if I'm violating some sort of [human] law, just in case so I can give him a new home. :eek:

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering the same about here in Canada. I couldn't find any information online.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering the same about here in Canada. I couldn't find any information online.
In Canada it would be a municipal law, so check your city's laws and if it says nothing about them then you're in the clear.

I don't know about the states though.

Cass

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
still no luck :(

so far I've turned up nothing in online search. I thought perhaps it would be state specific, but that hasnt produced any results either.

Im going to hold on to him for now- hopefully I dont get in any trouble! If anyone reading this has any links or info on where I can learn to be sure, I would greatly appreciate it.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm getting ready to relocate...Floirida said I would need to permit the exotic widowa, hissing roaches and Giant African millipedes. So it probably varies state to state.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have never heard anything related to a national ban on keeping widows. Certain localities (such as NYC, and Florida) may have bylaws or state legislation restricting exotic widows, or invertebrate pets in general.

Legislating against keeping native black widows is rather unenforceable, however, as they are naturally going to be in homes whether we invite them or not.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
We live in Florida and currently own both a female L. geometricus and a female L. mactan. From the research I have done, NO, you don’t need any type of permit (or scientific license, lol) to own a Widow as a personal pet in the state of Florida nor have I ever heard of any of the other states requiring a permit for Widows. Each state requires different permits for wildlife possession, exhibition, and sale. These permits enforce each state’s rules and regulations in regards to it’s wildlife. I have read through plenty of documents from both the state of Illinois and the state of Florida concerning wildlife permits along with the millions of regulations, blaaah.. And I’ve never came across anything to do with the personal ownership of the Widow spider. In all honesty, I don’t think I’ve read anything even touching the subject of spiders (besides the scorpion) within these wildlife permit regulations; snakes, lizards, sea creatures, bears, tigers, leopards, snails, scorpions, crocodiles, etc. but nothing on spiders. As far as Canada, I have NO clue about wildlife permits, sorry! If I come across any helpful information, I'll be sure to send it your way or post it in a thread.. Good Luck! :D

Soo, it looks like we’re both good to go.. As of now, LOL! Besides, I know tons of businesses and people who have Widows as desk pets both in the public and in their homes therefore it can’t be too strongly enforced even if it is required to have a permit. Although, I am 99% you do NOT need a permit for personal ownership of a Widow! Yayy! :p

Here is a link to a website that summarizes on ALL STATE laws concerning private possession of exotic animals;
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_summary.php

Other Sources:
http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_CaptiveCategories.htm

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only permits that come to mind are the type that scientist or grad students would have to use in order to work with or possess animals. For example, I can go buy a simple fishing license and collect reptiles and amphibians all day, but a grad student would have a ton of hoop-la bs to go through in order to get a permit to collect.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Postal regulations state that venomous invertebrates such as spiders and scorpions may only be shipped for research purposes. Perhaps that's what you read somewhere that has you asking this question.

Obviously this isn't enforced any more than laws against sharing mp3's or recording television programs or any of 100 other less-than-logical laws we have.

FrogEyes

Arachnopeon
There is no such federal law in either country. Rarely is it even a state or provincial law. Municipal laws prohibiting arachnids as pets are much more common.

bojesse57

Arachnopeon
Either way I don't care. I keep them anyway. If you have them around your yard knock yourself out. Nobody can say anything. For example, I think you have to have a licence to keep venomous snakes but if you run across a copperhead in your backyard who can stop you from catching it? (something else I did a few weeks ago). The only thing I would not adivise is going over to your neighbors backyard. That would be tresspassing. If it's your property, the deed is in your name, and you pay your property taxes then nobody can say a word.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Either way I don't care. I keep them anyway. If you have them around your yard knock yourself out. Nobody can say anything. For example, I think you have to have a licence to keep venomous snakes but if you run across a copperhead in your backyard who can stop you from catching it? (something else I did a few weeks ago). The only thing I would not adivise is going over to your neighbors backyard. That would be tresspassing. If it's your property, the deed is in your name, and you pay your property taxes then nobody can say a word.
You have to have permit for exotic venomous here in Texas,(20 bucks) but we can have up to 25 each of indigenous species.Now was that a southern or broad banded?

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
We live in Florida and currently own both a female L. geometricus and a female L. mactan. From the research I have done, NO, you don’t need any type of permit (or scientific license, lol) to own a Widow as a personal pet in the state of Florida nor have I ever heard of any of the other states requiring a permit for Widows. Each state requires different permits for wildlife possession, exhibition, and sale. These permits enforce each state’s rules and regulations in regards to it’s wildlife. I have read through plenty of documents from both the state of Illinois and the state of Florida concerning wildlife permits along with the millions of regulations, blaaah.. And I’ve never came across anything to do with the personal ownership of the Widow spider. In all honesty, I don’t think I’ve read anything even touching the subject of spiders (besides the scorpion) within these wildlife permit regulations; snakes, lizards, sea creatures, bears, tigers, leopards, snails, scorpions, crocodiles, etc. but nothing on spiders. As far as Canada, I have NO clue about wildlife permits, sorry! If I come across any helpful information, I'll be sure to send it your way or post it in a thread.. Good Luck! :D

Soo, it looks like we’re both good to go.. As of now, LOL! Besides, I know tons of businesses and people who have Widows as desk pets both in the public and in their homes therefore it can’t be too strongly enforced even if it is required to have a permit. Although, I am 99% you do NOT need a permit for personal ownership of a Widow! Yayy! :p

Here is a link to a website that summarizes on ALL STATE laws concerning private possession of exotic animals;
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_animals_summary.php

Other Sources:
http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_CaptiveCategories.htm
Native widows in Florida are OK...they only asked me to permit the exotics like tredecimguttatus. Geometricus is not native, but established so no permit needed.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Native widows in Florida are OK...they only asked me to permit the exotics like tredecimguttatus. Geometricus is not native, but established so no permit needed.
Thanks for that information, we appreciate it. It's so hard to find legit documents and other sources of info containing the regulations, etc. for exotic wildlife so your information is greatly appreciated, thanks again! :razz:

P.S. If you have any other neat facts about Florida's wildlife or laws please, feel free to send them our way! We just moved here from IL a little over a year ago so we're still learning, LOL! :p

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Over on the other side of the world in the state of Western Australia, it is supposedly ilegal to keep invertabrates as pets. I'm not sure if this applies to non-native invertabrates or native ones as well. Though they do sound very strict in general with other laws and regulations in that state. Apparently, over there you do have the right to kill an invert that you find in your house / on your land etc but you're not allowed to keep it as a pet! Ive even heard on another internet forum that in W.A. there is a special task force that, if they hear that you are keeping invertabrates as pets, will raid your house.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my head... Just don't get caught... If they are in your home and you aren't flaunting them to the world then you are ok.. It's the same with T's kinda.. They aren't illegal to keep here as pets but you're not allowed to ship usps.. but what Mama don't know won't hurt her. I see widows here in FL all the time.. So keeping them inside is pretty pointless.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
I see widows here in FL all the time.. So keeping them inside is pretty pointless.
Hey Now! I like my pretty little L. mactans being inside on my desk, LOL! I don't think she's pointless, she can be quite entertaining especially when I need a distraction from school work! :p

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Up in Wisconsin, Im not sure how "native" they really are, which is why I asked if anyone had any ideas.

Also- keeping them inside is probably the only way to keep them alive, considering its 50 degrees here this time of year :p

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Up in Wisconsin, Im not sure how "native" they really are, which is why I asked if anyone had any ideas.

Also- keeping them inside is probably the only way to keep them alive, considering its 50 degrees here this time of year :p
I agree, especially since even FL temperatures are reaching as low as 52 degrees during the night hours. We have moved all of our spidiies inside for FL's "winter months". I just hope they ALL make it! ;)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer

how do you think they survive each winter? ;) they're out there in the cold during blizzards and stuff too! i've found hesperus actually feeding at freezing temps. and out walking on the snow. they can and do survive at very cold temps all the time.