Is This TRUE?? (rosea)

jgod790

Arachnoknight
it's not that they're phycho it's that their unpredictable, at least mine are i have one that webs everywhere and if you touch her web she postures
I have read from several sources that 1 out of every 1,000 (random statistic but you get the idea) G. rosea have a really nasty temperament. Regardless how you care for them, they are going to flick hair, and bite every chance they get. And some people call them "psycho rosies". But yes normal G. rosea can be unpredictable I suppose. Mine is usually VERY docile. Out of having her for over 10 years, only once has she flicked hair, and only once has she threat postured, and one time she actually bit the paint brush I touched her with, WITH OUT flicking, or posturing first. So even though she has only been aggressive on 3 occasions, out of 10 years, I always do a standard temperament test with a paint brush before I consider handling.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you cant handle a G. rosea, you should not be handling T's at all. Unless you get one of the rare "psycho rosies". And duh there are colorful new worlds, but old worlds, over all are much more vibrant and colorful. Get over your self. This forum is not about making your self look like an expert and making others look like idiots. It is about learning from others, and helping others to the best of your ability.
There is a big difference between can't and won't.

I believe a lot of people fall in the won't category. I wouldn't handle a G rosea if you paid me. However, I have several other species I will gladly handle.

And many people are perfectly capable of never handling a tarantula on purpose and keeping any of the numerous OW.

Only keeping one individal of one species means you have limited personal experience to give advice upon. Most people would probably rather go to someone with more experience for advice.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Hobo, it also depends on your G.rosea RCF. I have a female that stays a great red colour until she molts (which she is nearing soon). Perhaps your photos wash out the colour, but mine seems to be more vibrant at premolt than yours even after she's faded substantially.

You can come check it out once I've settled into my new place in Vancouver next week. :D
Yeah. It might also have something to do with how much wear and tear they go through in between molts.
I recieved mine that color (brown with a hint of red) and she probably went through a lot being wild caught (I'm assuming). It's been one and a half years since her molt, and while she is nowhere near as drab as she was when I got her, she is visibly less red.

Oh, and I look forward to it. Good luck with the move, hope it goes smoothly!

jgod790

Arachnoknight
There is a big difference between can't and won't.

I believe a lot of people fall in the won't category. I wouldn't handle a G rosea if you paid me. However, I have several other species I will gladly handle.

And many people are perfectly capable of never handling a tarantula on purpose and keeping any of the numerous OW.

Only keeping one individal of one species means you have limited personal experience to give advice upon. Most people would probably rather go to someone with more experience for advice.
Why wont you handle your G. rosea?

david30

Arachnopeon
Well, right after it molts, it will look like this.

After a year or more, it's colors begin to fade gradually.

...until it looks like this right before a molt.

So yeah, it won't turn into a different coilor form unless it was that to begin with. If I were you, I'd get a juvie if you can find one, so you can be sure it will be a RCF. If you get a sling, you might be waiting a few years to find out.[/QUOthose pics are really good m8 hope i can get sum like that