Is this too much spider for my experience level?

fistinface

Arachnopeon
I'm in the market for a new spider because my B. smithi is about to be moved to a bigger home. The only other T I've had was a Grammostola rosea. As I'm checking out other species the one I always come back too is Acanthoscurria brocklehursti. I'm not going to handle the spider it is simply a display animal. Is this too much spider for me at this time? Also, what are the main differences between Acanthoscurria brocklehursti & Acanthoscurria geniculata?

mozkaynak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well,
i dont have any experience for that specific T. But If you feel like you are ready for it, just have one.

jdmjames

Arachnopeon
just like the person above said if you feel you can handle it get it. specially if you dnt handle your T's. seems to me like you would be fine. i think anyone would. my gf has a p.regalis she just got and its her 3rd t but the first 2 are tiny avic slings. the pokie even escaped from her once already and she caught it and out him back in his enclosure safely. i think theres no such thing as hard to keep T's you just have to know that there are some that are more prone to escaping and some that have a bit stronger venom and know to respect them and anyone would be fine with any T.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You'll be fine. Just use a cup for maintenance, rehousing, and the like. They are big, hungry tarantulas, but totally manageable. I have an Acanthoscurria geniculata female and she is one of my favorite tarantulas.
I'm not too sure of the differences between brocklehursti and geniculata. I'll leave that to someone well versed in taxonomy. :D
Good luck and enjoy. I have a soft spot for Acanthoscurria.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey man, If they're anything like A geniculata then they're bulletproof- so go for it!

For starters, A brocklehursti supposedly has narrower banding on the legs. For the life of me, I can rarely see this, all depending upon the individual photographs of each sp. Then again, some "figured" A geniculata have very narrow banding as well. There are no doubt other distinguishing characteristics such as spermatheca, etc, but I've had no time to research it. Either way, they're two awesome spp ;)

Terry

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And I must add that from sub-adults on they are AWESOME for display. Mine is always out. She has a hide, but she never uses it. She just sits and waits. For food. :D

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I bought a tiny A. brock sling a few months ago, it was my 2d T purchase, I do not regret it at all. This has become my fav T in my small collection & I will be getting a couple more of these. I have handled it a couple of times. She is very skittish and extreme food aggressive. a great T to have, get it if you get the oppurtunity.

fistinface

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for all the info, you definitely made my decision easier. Anyone looking to sell a Acanthoscurria brocklehursti or a Acanthoscurria geniculata please contact me. One other question, how fast are both of these species? Don't want anything thats going to be sitting on my shoulder by the time I notice it's not in the cage.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
They are too big for you to not notice, but seriously, respect them & you will have nothing to worry about.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One other question, how fast are both of these species? Don't want anything thats going to be sitting on my shoulder by the time I notice it's not in the cage.
They're surprisingly fast and unpredictable in short bursts, but I haven't noticed any tendency to run far from my 3 A. geniculata. Their behavior is comically frantic to me. Bump their container and they burst run a few inches away and stop. Feeding them is fun. Lot of what looks to me like over-exaggerated pouncing there. "I must grab this cricket that's 5 times smaller than me with all my legs or else it'll escape!"

Easy to deal with. Just watch for the hairs.

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
One other question, how fast are both of these species? Don't want anything thats going to be sitting on my shoulder by the time I notice it's not in the cage.
It depends on what you mean by fast. All Ts are fast when they want to be, ie grabbing a roach. I think that you are more concerned about their ability to run for a good distance and get from you hand to your face in a second.

As a rule of thumb new world terrestrials (not arboreals) are not "fast" or agile, however they can move small distance to pounce on prey or scurry into their burrows at a surprising speed.

Mostly all arboreal and all Old worlders are very fast and agile long distance runners.

So anyways you'll be fine. You ll love these guys, just watch out for theirs hairs if anything.

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a small A. brocklehursti. Very shy species, but it is a sling, so not surprising. If I even touch its container, it will disappear into its burrow.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A Brockelhursti

Get the spider!! I dont have any Brocks, but I do have Genics. I guarantee, it will be your absolute favorite among the three. They grow larger, are more active and interesting, and are INSANE feeders! Really, the biggest advantage of having the teddy-bear "pet rock" T's is their VERY long life spans, and they can be handled very easily. If you don't plan on handling a Brock or Genic, then you'll have no problem! A little sidenote... they are not aggressive or mean, but as already noted ; they are INSANE feeders. Just make sure that they don't mistake your fingers for food when you reach into the cage.

fistinface

Arachnopeon
So I'm going to order a Acanthoscurria brocklehursti but I also get a freebie spider so is a L. parahybana a fairly easy pet? Any traits I should be aware of?

seezilla

Arachnopeon
So I'm going to order a Acanthoscurria brocklehursti but I also get a freebie spider so is a L. parahybana a fairly easy pet? Any traits I should be aware of?
I was told that any serious collector should have an LP. I have one. I like her well enough, but I don't see the crazy voracious eater thing people here talk about. I've just rehoused my LP and I'm hoping that it will be happier now (or less stressed if you like) and start pouncing on some crickets with more than the half-hearted attempts it's displayed so far.

They are fast growers, good eaters and can be handled fairly easily, if you are into handling. Watch out for the hairs, because they are notorious hair kickers. They don't require super high humidity or any of the other special requirements that maybe a T. blondi would. I think mine is really pretty with the pink hairs. They also make excellent display Ts as they don't normally burrow or hide, so they are usually out in the open.

I'm sure if I missed anything about LPs, someone will add it. :D

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Well only a few months in the hobby, and we have a P.Ornata. I say if you want one type get that type. Just be prepared. I have been surprised a few times with the speed of the P.Ornata. :eek:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Be careful with the LP. In my personal experience (so yours may not be the same), the hairs of that species are brutal. I have to sell my MM LP because every time I open the enclosure, I itch for days at a time. :wall:

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Well only a few months in the hobby, and we have a P.Ornata. I say if you want one type get that type. Just be prepared. I have been surprised a few times with the speed of the P.Ornata. :eek:
Yeah... it definitely showed you how fast it could be, all the while showing you how happy it was with you invading its territory. :eek: Scared shhhugar out of me. I think OWs are beautiful, but my comfort level is not high enough for me to want one for myself yet. ;P

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LP as freebie

An LP is another typical bird-eater, just like your A Brock. To me, though, they are not as interesting. They may be even more skittish, but are over-estimated as far as feeders (nothing like A Genics, N Chromatus, or B Vagans) IMO. Also, they are rather drab in color, but get HUGE.